Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

kcam

What happened? (if you don't mind sharing)

Hope it heals quickly.

kimba

I’m really not sure.  I ran 5 miles this morning at about 9am, went to work, got out of my car at the 2:30 pm and could barely put weight on it

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

watsonc123

Darkwave - nice race and time.  That wind would be worth 1 to 2 minutes over ideal conditions.  What's your half PR?

Kimba - hang around whilst injured.  It can be motivating seeing others racing and training well.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

kimba

Darkwave - nice race and time.  That wind would be worth 1 to 2 minutes over ideal conditions.  What's your half PR?

Kimba - hang around whilst injured.  It can be motivating seeing others racing and training well.

Thanks.  Now I’m thinking it’s gout.  Jesus, I feel like I’m 80. 

Nice race, dark wave!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks, but I'm not sure the wind cost that much.  I honestly don't know how much it cost.  I finished the race expecting to read about how slow the elite races were due to the wind.  And then I check the running sites and they're all about "perfect conditions and national records at Houston!"  So clearly it wasn't that much of a factor.  I think I'm just not in great shape Smile

My half PR is 1:24:08.  Set last October at Columbus.  I wasn't at 100% at that race, due to some health issues flaring that week, so I have hopes I can beat it if I get back into peak fitness.

Kimba - I hear you on the frustrations.  My joke is that my warranty ran out at 40.  You can be very careful, and even then stuff pops up.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Kimba, sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope it heals up quickly.

DarkWave - Congrats on a strong race, that start sounds brutal, but Chiptole is truely the pre-race meal of champions! How do you measure "miles" for pool running? Does your watch have a function? Also any tips on getting started pool running?

In my world I saw a doctor yesterday, he sent me for xrays of my foot which came back negative so he told me he didn't have a real diagnosis but I should take another 2-3 weeks off. =(

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - jealous of your skiing! That still is quite a flight for you to get out here. Hope you enjoy the cold northern hemisphere. It'll make going home that much nicer. I also feel like you haven't gotten down time in a while, this will be perfect for you before marathon training starts picking up.

Steve - good week, keep the volume consistent, don't get greedy now. I agree with watson that a 10K to me feels closer to a half than it does to a 5K. There just isn't that horrific burning in a 10K that you get in a 5K.

makers - you sound prime to buy a running book. Daniels, Pfitz, Hudson are all good picks for a half marathon plan.

keen - this next race of yours on 3/1, what distance is it? I can't even look at the front page that Steve put up, the date formatting is making my head explode.

DW - another good race report. I'm always convinced that when you run slightly worse than you wanted, you would do yourself a favor to look at your watch, but I know that's not your style. I think running by feel is always the best, but sometimes seeing your time and going "this is not acceptable" can give someone motivation to run a bit faster, no?

Kim - that doesn't sound like a sprained ankle, I think you're right that it's something else. I love that even professionals go through these crazy times when something hurts!

Zebano - I'm sorry but I haven't kept up well: what exactly is wrong with your foot? Also, your diagnosis of just "take time off" is pretty much what every doctor will say no matter what. Generally that can't hurt you, but I would just give some advice to not blindly follow doctors when it comes to running injuries: they tend to be way too conservative.

Me - Not much to report. 73 miles, all easy running, building back up so that I can start doing some quality again. Definitely going to be rusty for a few weeks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - *Technically* the race is a 50k. My plan can be boiled down as "run a marathon as fast as possible then crash and walk/run the last 4.8 miles". Before you ask, there are mats at 26.2 of the 50k and that split is a qualifier for Boston.
                  The courses are exactly the same until the 1.2 mi/2k or so. The 50k continues down a river trail for an out-and-back while the marathon makes a turn towards the common finish line.

Did all that easy running drive you crazy?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ha I love it, quality for Boston and then burn out. I approve of this plan.

Surprisingly, all the easy running hasn't driven me crazy! I think it's because i know how out of shape I am and I'm scared to see what my workouts look like. I'm just trying to delay that depressing moment.

I also picked up a calf issue, which makes me more okay with just running easy. Thought it was bad enough that I had to shut it down, but I just ran through it and then went crazy with rehab. It's okay now, but definitely teetering on the edge. It's worse than a niggle, not as bad as a sprain though. So it's a spriggle?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

CommanderKeen -- OMG I think I'm going to puke just thinking about those last 5 miles. Brutal!!!

JMac - the only way I can describe my foot issue is pain on the top of my foot during push-off when running. I did a 10 minute jog last Thursday to self-asses before seeing the doctor. I hadn't run since the 3rd of January before that. I'll probably repeat that until I feel good enough to start ramping up gradually. With stress fractures and bone spurs ruled out I'm a lot less worried about doing permanent damage but tondonitis is always a worry.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

keen - this next race of yours on 3/1, what distance is it? I can't even look at the front page that Steve put up, the date formatting is making my head explode.

Step out of your comfort zone JMac - once you read it the right way everything else will look crazy.

This week's Running Rogue podcast is "8 common training mistakes".  All stuff I'm sure we all know but I found it very well summed up and a good reminder.  Especially for those who are base building!

73 mile week = rusty.  Goodness.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - One one hand I'm surprised that you approve of the plan, but on the other hand, not. I've actually got another 50k (dirt back roads) scheduled a couple weeks after Cowtown. Not sure if I'll run it, but if I do it'll just be an easy, supported, super-long run. I signed up for it before getting sick at Dallas, otherwise I wouldn't have.

I'll likely treat the OKC marathon as a LR as well, if I run that. I'm now kinda eyeing doing a 41.2 mile (66.3 km) relay solo just for kicks (starts in the Texas panhandle, runs through the Oklahoma panhandle, finishes in Kansas). It just seems nifty.
                          I think there's actually an outside chance that I could win that one outright. Regardless, my endurance game should be off the charts by summer!

Hate to hear about the calf spriggle. Hopefully it tilts towards the healing side.

Question for all the non-Americans: When you say a full date out loud do you say "January 21st, 2020", or do you speak it as you usually write/type it "21st of January, 2020"? I'd guess the latter, but who knows. It just seems awkward to my brain. That "of" is just a syllable that just gets in the way, but needs to be there if you say the date first.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Question for all the non-Americans: When you say a full date out loud do you say "January 21st, 2020", or do you speak it as you usually write/type it "21st of January, 2020"? I'd guess the latter, but who knows. It just seems awkward to my brain. That "of" is just a syllable that just gets in the way, but needs to be there if you say the date first.

I had to stop and think about it.  I think when I'm only saying month and day I say "January 21st" but if including the year I'd say 21st of January, 2020.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

kimba

Ankle is almost 100% today.  Went to the MD for blood work because there is no way that was a fluke.  I was in tears and couldn't bear any weight on the left foot.  I've never experienced anything like that.  Even when I sprained my ankle and got a bone chip in high school I don't think it hurt that bad.  So, I'm doing nothing for the remainder of the week.  Total body reset.  I'm going to eat a lot and rest a lot.  Hopefully the blood work confirms high levels of uric acid/gout, but it's not a fool proof test.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Interesting. Why switch like that? We say "January 21st" no matter if the year is there or not. More consistent = more better!

Kimba - Try to enjoy the down time. I hope you get good word back from the doc and you're back out there soon.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4