Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Question for all the non-Americans: When you say a full date out loud do you say "January 21st, 2020", or do you speak it as you usually write/type it "21st of January, 2020"? I'd guess the latter, but who knows. It just seems awkward to my brain. That "of" is just a syllable that just gets in the way, but needs to be there if you say the date first.

I assumed they said "it's the twenty first day of January" and everyone knew what year they were talking about unless it was in the past. Like "I was born on the first day of April in 1973. No Joke."

EDIT: Maybe if you didn't use Bald Eagles and Freedumb Units Y'ALL could wrap it around your brain.  Is it Y'all or All Y'all?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well if there's any confusion about the dates on page 1, they are in chronological order.  And I would remind people that I was pretty clear about my New Zealand birth certificate before I was elected!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

kcam

Well if there's any confusion about the dates on page 1, they are in chronological order.  And I would remind people that I was pretty clear about my New Zealand birth certificate before I was elected!

Hey Steve, maybe you should change my 25 January, 2020 race from 10 Miles to 16.09 km?!  

Have not stated this New Year's goal in public yet but here goes .... Think in terms of metric for all things running by end of year.  Boom.  There I said it, what kind of American am I ?!

Being an old fart used to training and thinking in terms of 'Miles' and 'minutes/mile' it's hard for me to think in terms of 'km' and 'minutes/km'.  I have changed my log here as well as my Forerunner to the metric system therefore all distances and paces are now reported to me in metric units.  I figure maybe by the end of the year my brain will have been trained to think directly (without converting to imperial) in metric.  Currently, I still find myself converting back to imperial during my runs - not so bad right now as it gives me something to do.  I believe it's good to change things up once in a while.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I assumed they said "it's the twenty first day of January" and everyone knew what year they were talking about unless it was in the past. Like "I was born on the first day of April in 1973. No Joke."

EDIT: Maybe if you didn't use Bald Eagles and Freedumb Units Y'ALL could wrap it around your brain.  Is it Y'all or All Y'all?

"Y'all" is always plural, but may or may not include all members of a given group. "All y'all" always and only means the entire group at large. You didn't know the difference, bless your heart! 

I think you were "appointed" by the previous regime, rather than elected!

Translation for all the non-Americans: "Bless your heart" is Southern American (Oklahoma is not in the South, but rather "South adjacent"), and can either be added to the end of any horrifically insulting phrase to make it seem sympathetic and kind ("That boy's about as sharp as a marble, bless his heart."), or it can be used as a stand-alone phrase of the utmost savageness, while still sounding sweet and genteel. Occasionally, it can be taken at face value as sincere.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Hey Steve, maybe you should change my 25 January, 2020 race from 10 Miles to 16.09 km?!  

Ha!  I'll stick to what the race organisers call the race for distance (and disregard whatever date format they use as and when it suits me).

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think you were "appointed" by the previous regime, rather than elected!

I'm sure I got some other votes, but with all this insolence in recent pages (including from the previous leader), I would invite a leadership challenge and feel very confident about my support base.

Although come to think of it, Americans seem to outnumber Kiwis in this thread now....forget I said anything.

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - You are 21 days into your rule. Get used to the ride, there will be challenging times. My most challenging was when this forum became a gossip center about New Zealand runners, like Gene Rand and Willy McGillicutty, for like 2 full pages of posts. I almost lost it and just gave up.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - You are 21 days into your rule. Get used to the ride, there will be challenging times. My most challenging was when this forum became a gossip center about New Zealand runners, like Gene Rand and Willy McGillicutty, for like 2 full pages of posts. I almost lost it and just gave up.

It's definitely an insight for someone who preferred to complain from the sidelines, rather than offer to do a better job.

Edit:  22 days JMac.  The sun rises in NZ under my rule.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

"Y'all" is always plural, but may or may not include all members of a given group. "All y'all" always and only means the entire group at large. You didn't know the difference, bless your heart

I might not know the difference between part of a group (y'all) and the ENTIRE group (all y'all). I DO know an insult when I read one Mr. "I blame my kids for my marathon result."

See the source image

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DarkWave - Congrats on a strong race, that start sounds brutal, but Chiptole is truely the pre-race meal of champions! How do you measure "miles" for pool running? Does your watch have a function? Also any tips on getting started pool running?

. =(

I _always_ eat Chipotle before races.  I have a very sensitive GI system (Ulcerative Colitis) and Chipotle is available in nearly all major cities in the US, and I know that I can digest it well without issue (barring any unfortunate E.coli issue)

For pool-running, the math is that 10 minutes easy equals 1 mile.  That's a bit slower than land running, but the intensity is always slightly lower in pool-running.  Plus, 10 minutes a mile makes for easy math.

I have a triathlon watch, so I use the openwater swimming function for pool-running.

As for getting started....you really just get in the pool and start mimicking a running motion.  If they have floatation belts at your pool, it might be better to start with one of those for comfort.

Everbody's pool-running gait is unique.  The big thing is: you want it to be RUNNING, not doggie paddling.  Stay upright, don't lean forward.  You'll use your arms some anyway, but try to make the focus your legs.  Engaging your deep abdominal muscles will also keep you stable and upright - many people find pool-running to be a decent core workout, if done without the belt.

Don't worry about how fast you are moving forward in the water.  Some of the fastest people I know on land make very little forward progress in the water.

Don't forget to breathe either.  The more air in your lungs, the more buoyant you'll be.

Since you have a lower leg injury, pool-running is likely ideal.  I'm sometimes hesitant to recommend it for knee or hip soft tissue issues, since pool-running can make those worse.  If your injury is due to impact, then deepwater pool-running is a great choice.  If your injury is due to a faulty movement pattern, then replicating that movement in the pool won't help you.

DW - another good race report. I'm always convinced that when you run slightly worse than you wanted, you would do yourself a favor to look at your watch, but I know that's not your style. I think running by feel is always the best, but sometimes seeing your time and going "this is not acceptable" can give someone motivation to run a bit faster, no?

I think it all depends on your motivational profile.  Do you need the extra kick of seeing a time?

Or do you have a tendency to try too hard and beat yourself up, with nothing that you see on the watch ever being acceptable?  I'm in the latter category.  I am perfectly capable of squeezing everything out of the bottle, of asking myself repeatedly "do I have any more to give?" without the watch.    When I look at splits, I just get tense and start thinking about numbers instead of "can I give a bit more."

I used to depend on the watch for races, and then finally took the risk and raced without checking it.  And was amazed by how much faster I ran when I wasn't limiting myself or overanalyzing individual splits.  If you've never tried it (I don't think you have) I would recommend it.

I can't think of any race I've done where I've thought after "if only I'd been looking at my watch, I would have run faster."  I can think of several races (including that 4 miler a few weeks ago), where I ran significantly faster than anticipated, and would have hit the brakes had I checked a split.

If you learn to truly read your body, it's more accurate than any watch out there.  Watches don't know how to adjust for missed training, or wind, or having a breakthrough.

Plus....there's the practical point that I had no idea what my fitness was, and would have had no idea what pace to target.  (If I had plugged that hilly NYE into a calculator, I would have gotten a 1:28Tight lippedx....)  So I just went out there and gave everything I had.

Just to be clear, I'm not at all disappointed with the race performance on Sunday - I gave what I had to give.  I was wistful that on January 19, 2020 I wasn't in the shape that I had hoped I would be back when I registered for the race in July of 2019.  But staring at my watch and chasing low 6:2xs because that's what I initially hoped for when I signed up last year would have accomplished nothing except a blow up.

Again, I think everyone should try racing both with and without a watch, and see which works better for them.  I'm willing to concede that there are people who need that extra kick of seeing a number to dig deep.  Just like some people really need a group to run with and can't do workouts or long runs on their own.  But I think there are also people who artificially limit their own performance by staring at splits instead of just going for it and giving their all.    

On a different note, I like the word "spriggle."

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

If you learn to truly read your body, it's more accurate than any watch out there.  Watches don't know how to adjust for missed training, or wind, or having a breakthrough.

Perfect time to plug this podcast again:

http://runningrogue.libsyn.com/episode-166-8-common-training-mistakes

This is one issue discussed and your point above is discussed almost word for word.

2024 Races:

JamesD

JamesD

"Y'all" is always plural, but may or may not include all members of a given group. "All y'all" always and only means the entire group at large. You didn't know the difference, bless your heart! 

Translation for all the non-Americans: "Bless your heart" is Southern American (Oklahoma is not in the South, but rather "South adjacent"), and can either be added to the end of any horrifically insulting phrase to make it seem sympathetic and kind ("That boy's about as sharp as a marble, bless his heart."), or it can be used as a stand-alone phrase of the utmost savageness, while still sounding sweet and genteel. Occasionally, it can be taken at face value as sincere.

In my part of the South, I've always heard that "Bless your heart" comes with an implied addition of "It's not your fault you're such a #@!&! idiot" that the speaker is too tactful to say but is clearly understood by all.  I've never heard of any Southern native using the phrase sincerely.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - the only way I can describe my foot issue is pain on the top of my foot during push-off when running. I did a 10 minute jog last Thursday to self-asses before seeing the doctor. I hadn't run since the 3rd of January before that. I'll probably repeat that until I feel good enough to start ramping up gradually. With stress fractures and bone spurs ruled out I'm a lot less worried about doing permanent damage but tondonitis is always a worry.

Zebano - Glad your Xrays were negative.  Once or twice a year I have pain that sounds like yours, though probably not as intense, but enough to worry me that something is wrong.  When I adjust the upper and the laces to put less pressure on it and cut back on fast running, it goes away after several days, so it might just be a result of too-tight lacing or the fit of my upper.  Hope your trouble is nothing more serious.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

KCam - take care of yourself, colds are not fun.

mrakers - You could do a Tuesday v02max workout and a Thursday tempo. Long run on Sundays.

Tempos cold be (paraphrasing some of the Hansons training plan). Everything at current Half Marathon Pace computed from a recent race.

6x1 mile w 800 rests

4x1.5 mile w 800 rests

3x2 mile w 800 rests

2x3 mile w 800 rests

4 miles

5 miles

6 miles

Keen - I’ve barely survived it. I’m glad I didn’t miss any training day though.

Your plan is nuts LOL who signs up for 4.8 extra miles (Heh I did)

For what is worth in Romance languages we say 21 of January of 2020.

Zebano - I’ve had pain on the top of the foot as a result of plantar fasciitis. Could that be what’s happening to you?

Does rolling the calves and rolling the bottom of your feet with a tennis ball help?

To answer your question about Comander Keen he is indestructible, like that guy from the movie Unbreakable.

Darkwave - once again congrats. A chaos like that would make me nervous, I’m sure it’s a lot worse for someone petite like yourself.

I think the watch less thing only works for people like you and Keen who under estimate yourselves.

Put me there to run without a watch and I’ll try to match the pace from the race leaders.

Kimba - Ugh Ugh Ugh!! I hope it’s not gout, my dad has it and it’s so painful.

Jmac has had quite a few scares exactly like that during his tapers, though I’m not sure he ever root caused it.

Jmac - how can you say 73 miles is not much to report. That’s a lot of miles.

Steve - Kudos for enlightening these savages.

Southern states - when I think of them I think spicier, in every sense of the word.

me - I've survived the 14 hour bus ride back from my parents. It's worth it as it's always nice to catch up with them and then off course my mom is the best cook in the world. My legs are jelly but I'm ready for the next week with a spicy workout on Thursday.

In other news we're moving out of the apartment and now everything I own fits in 1 backpack and a bag.

My wife is however struggling to fit her 300 t-shirts into 2 large bags and one backpack.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - Kudos for enlightening these savages.

me - I've survived the 14 hour bus ride back from my parents. It's worth it as it's always nice to catch up with them and then off course my mom is the best cook in the world. My legs are jelly but I'm ready for the next week with a spicy workout on Thursday.

In other news we're moving out of the apartment and now everything I own fits in 1 backpack and a bag.

My wife is however struggling to fit her 300 t-shirts into 2 large bags and one backpack.

I do my best...what with date formats, the metric system and decimal points, it's been a tough start to my reign.

14 hour bus.  I would do anything to avoid this but I'm guessing it's to a destination without an airport?

Moving house...a great relationship tester.

2024 Races: