Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Flavio Nice Week glad your lower back is better!

Kcam nice week hope you get over your funky cold-like thing

mrackers nice week that's a lot of treadmill miles I couldn't do it

keen nice week as well and same to you couldn't do the treadmill miles.

marco nice week 50 miles with all your traveling great job.

Zebano sorry to hear about your foot glad it is not a stress fracture I've had issue with the top of my right foot for years it always seems to hurt a little. I haven't had it checked out as it doesn't hurt when I run.  I attribute it to having to wear Steal toe shoes every day and just deal with it.

Dwave congrats on the performance in Houston.  When you do your pool running is it in waist deep water?  What exactly to you eat at Chipotle?

Kimba sorry to hear about your issue  but hang around with us I can be motivating while injured.

And All ya'll are too funny I need to finish reading up on the rest of the post but for now gotta head to work.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

CFarr and Flavio thanks for the tips, I'll try relacing the shoes and see if it helps but I've already tried multiple pair.

Flavio a 14 hour bus ride sounds brutal. TShirts are terrible, I've been campaigning with my local run club to always have an option to save $5 on entry fees and not get another race shirt (Oh bless your heart, another cotton shirt!).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

When you do your pool running is it in waist deep water?  What exactly to you eat at Chipotle?

Always in the deep end.  I normally do it in a diving well, so about 12+ feet (3.5m) deep.  The point is that it's non-impact.

I would caution against doing it in waist deep water if you are nursing an impact injury.  Yes, the water will result in less impact stress when you land each stride.  However, you then have to work against the resistance and weight of the water with each push-off as you "run", resulting in MORE stress on your foot than you would have running on land.

As for Chipotle - I go with just brown rice and steak, occasionally barbacoa.  No beans, no veggies, no salsa.  Just easily digestible protein and carbs.

In the 24 hours before each key long run, I eat the same thing I'll eat before a marathon.  I'm doing 18-21 this Sunday, so I'll grab Chipotle on Saturday, and then eat my standard long run breakfast on Sunday morning.

It sounds prescriptive, and it is, but it's also really nice going into a marathon to know that I've got my pre-race nutrition dialed in exactly, and don't have to worry about GI troubles before or during the race.  I know what I'm going to eat and when, and also have a good amount of confidence that I'll have a good, well timed pre-race poop, and solid energy for the race.

I do not think everyone has to be as exact as I am about these things.  It's just that with my long history of GI problems, I have very little margin of error.  I'll take risks after a race, like going to a restaurant I've never been to before.  But not pre-goal race.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Alright, you got me back for that one. Truce??

Zebano - I know this may sound a bit out there, but have you checked the lacing on your shoes (running and everyday ones)? A couple years ago I had a mysterious pain that popped up on the top of my foot only when running. Not enough to keep me from running, but I was getting worried. Then one day I was slipping on a pair of everyday shoes and felt the pain briefly when putting them on. Turns out that the laces were very slightly too tight over that part of my foot. I don't know why it didn't hurt in those shoes otherwise, but after I loosen that up a bit the pain while running went right away.

Chipotle - I'm getting to where I like this as an option as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

watsonc123

Flavio - you change apartments quite regularly.  Are you an undesirable tenant?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Alright, you got me back for that one. Truce??

Chipotle - I'm getting to where I like this as an option as well.

Keen: Bless your heart.

JMac I believe his 50K plan is "BOTT" meets "checkers or wreckers".

flavio do you think Hanson's can be shortened like that for a half marathon? After more than just glancing at JD the training runs for Hansons and JD seem to be REALLY similar except they have different names. JD calls it a "cruise interval" and Hanson calls it "strength" workouts. I don't see where Repetition pace comes in for Hansons since their speed workout seems to match Interval pace/logic for JD.

Chipotle might have been a key to my success at CIM. I can't ignore it's impact as my running friends regularly ask me if I'll be ending my run at Chipotle to pick up lunch. Their app conveniently allows you to pick the time you'd like your order ready for pickup, stores your last order and payment is as simple as "hold your finger on this part of the screen for a few seconds" so it can be ordered mid run. I might have also had a burrito at a nice local Mexican place named Zocalo for dinner prior to CIM soooooooooo….my less than imaginary online friend(s) haven't steered me wrong so far. I also wore shoes with orange because orange makes you faster according to an old "imaginary" friend. Strava is orange for at least ONE reason.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - you change apartments quite regularly.  Are you an undesirable tenant?

Staying one step ahead of the authorities perhaps?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This thread has been gold lately.

Steve - Change my race. I decided to sign up for a 7.1 mile race. I have no idea why anyone would choose this as a distance for their race, but these organizers did. It's called the "Mardi Gras Run to the Great South Bay Brewery." So yeah, I signed up because it ends at a brewery and you're allowed unlimited beers after the race...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Change my race. I decided to sign up for a 7.1 mile race. I have no idea why anyone would choose this as a distance for their race, but these organizers did. It's called the "Mardi Gras Run to the Great South Bay Brewery." So yeah, I signed up because it ends at a brewery and you're allowed unlimited beers after the race...

Question asked, question answered!

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Seems to me pretty obvious that it's 7.1 miles because the brewery is 7.1 miles away.

[and...if you have an odd distance, then everyone PRs.  And everyone buys drinks to celebrate their PRs.]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

I love odd race distances.  They're great for learning to race off of effort.  It's not really worth it to get super familiar with 7.1 mile pace in training!  Just go at what you think you can hold for about 7 miles and beat everyone you can at the end.  That's racing.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Certainly not as rugged and robust as the marathon training thread....if and when I start training for the full I think I'll just stay over here

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Certainly not as rugged and robust as the marathon training thread....if and when I start training for the full I think I'll just stay over here

This place has always been more laid back than the marathon thread. I like both approaches which is why I hang out in both.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm sure it's 7.1 miles because the race organizers don't use Bald Eagles and Freedumb units to measure length. If they were smart it would be a 7.3 miler and you'd get their 7.3% ABV Wicked Smaht at the finish line.

Unlimited beers. When is this race? Want to house a "not so imaginary" slow running Californian? I could drink a LOT of free beer. TRUST me. 7 mile warm up to some liver damage. Watch out for the guy with the grass stained white New Balance shoes in the beer area. He's doing 1 beer per mile and we're not talking about those 4 ounce samplers. Pints or GTFOutta here with your short shorts.

SteveChCh who says you can come into my club house? JMac wouldn't let me join the sub 3 marathon thread so I had to burn his club house to the ground and rebuild my own and take all his friends from him. 

I've officially started some Half Marathon speed training so I can hang out here now. 400m repeats with a 95 second jog recovery. My understanding of the JD approach is these are intervals NOT repetition. Intervals are for working Aerobic and don't allow for a full recovery. The 95 seconds was only because I wasn't sure how it would go. Surprised myself being able to run 89-91 seconds feeling fully recovered, and never really challenged. I'm sure it's just because I didn't do enough 400s. I believe JD says to limit it to about 3 miles when running 40-50 miles a week. I also think if I was to keep this pace for 1,200s it would be a challenge. Pace was based off my CIM result and on paper seemed like it would be too fast, or I'd need to be at sea level. The road isn't flat and I tried to vary the uphill/downhill/flat to not favor one and give myself impressive results for my online friends to congratulation me on. I guess next workout should be a Tempo run this weekend. Maybe easy at 3 miles with a 1-2 mile warm up.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Nice euphemisms. I've certainly been posting more here (and did in sub-3:20) than the marathon thread. It seems like lots of things are getting lost there.

Upcoming Races: