Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

I'm enjoying sitting back and watching your pre race ramblings Mark.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - if you lose a little weight, I think a sub 18 is in the cards 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Sorry I'm not willing to give up beer and junk food 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

is...Watson...immune....to....taper.....madness? 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

I haven't had a proper cycle this year.  First 5 months I was injured and only ran a little.

And since June I have just trained and raced with no formal cycle and pretty low volume.

So I don't have a huge emotional investment like Mark has with an 8 month cycle.

Forecast update - it looks like the Northerly wind will be a factor, hopefully not too strong.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I forecast that Watson's taper madness will hit hard and late....

FIngers crossed on the weather...

Keen - Was your marathon White RIver?  (I can't remember).  FWIW, I don't think one should ever run a marathon unless their heart is in it.  If you don't want to be there at mile 5 you are going to feel awful at mile 20....

DWave - Interesting stuff about the ultrasound results. Could the "split" tendon be the missing one? Or is there a chance that the tendon that couldn't be found is simply gone? My dad recently had shoulder surgery that involved rebuilding a tendon that was completely gone due to an old injury.

Since this comment came up several times...

a) there are two main things at issue here - the posterior tibial tendon and the anterior talo-fibular ligament.  Tendons and ligaments are different - tendons connect muscle to bone; while ligaments link bone to bone.  I believe the tissue is slightly different also.

b) no way that one could be confused for the other - they aren't near each other..  The posterior tibial tendon is on the inside of the ankle, behind the medial malleolus (the bump on the inside of the ankle).  The ATF ligament is on the outside of the ankle towards the front and ahead of the lateral malleolus (the bump on the outside of the ankle).  So...the two are on exactly opposite sides of the ankle.

If the ATF ligament has moved and become an extra posterior tibial tendon, then my ankle is even more spectacularly screwy than first thought.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Is the PTT the most hated tendon on average for more "advanced" runners? I Imagine the patellar takes the cake for all runners, but that tends to be for newer runners. Maybe the Achilles? We need a poll!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Is the PTT the most hated tendon on average for more "advanced" runners? I Imagine the patellar takes the cake for all runners, but that tends to be for newer runners. Maybe the Achilles? We need a poll!

I'm guessing the achilles and the PTT are tied, with the high hamstring and the peroneals not too far behind.

We can set up polls on this site, right?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

watsonc123

Is Flavio racing soon?

If so it is missing from the front page.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Darkwave - shame on me for not googling those terms. And to think I used to send lmgtfy.com links to people

Watson/Steve - I’m racing the Pisa Ten (https://www.mezzamaratonapisa.it/it/pisa-ten) October 11th in Pisa.

me - In other news, cases are increasing here. I'm seriously considering to purchase a treadmill.

Ok, it's time for the truth. I have no idea how deep the field will be, but hopefully there will be people around my fitness to chase during the race. The course should be relatively flat, but it could be rainy and windy and there's a portion of the course (some 500m or less) on dirt ground

I'm thinking my aim should be sub 45 minutes, what do you guys think?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Wow Piwi, you must be world champ in the Clydesdale division 

I'm enjoying sitting back and watching your pre race ramblings Mark.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nice poll dw, good to hear the horror stories from everyone.

Where's Mark? It's too quiet in here!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Yeah, White River was mine - I cancelled my room yesterday. I figure I'll just start plugging in some mileage and perhaps keep trying to strategically pick off some segments just for fun and speed work.
                            Also, "whoops" on missing that you mentioned both tendons and ligaments.

My left adductors have been kinda tight lately, so I'm working on getting that fixed.

New WRs in Valencia. How low can those go with actually ideal racing conditions.
                            Also, what does everyone think of the Wavelight pacing system? To me it seems like a definite advantage that wasn't available when previous records were set.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Where's Mark? It's too quiet in here!

Heh, I’m here. We flew down to Wellington yesterday so it was a family kind of day. Our 3 year old was so excited to go on a plane and go on holiday. Gotta admit I enjoyed it too, I’ve only flown once since February and it’s a lot more fun when you’re not doing it all the time and especially when it’s with the family.

Plus I’ve been working through some job stuff this week too. It’s all good news which I can hopefully share next week, just have to be a bit careful in the meantime.

Anyway I’m not sure what Watson was referring to earlier as the weather is still looking mint with only light northerlies for Sunday.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Keen I forgot to say nice job on your half last weekend.

Yeah those lights must help set pace. Just another piece of technology to help today's athletes.

JT that photo was taken a week ago and is not indicative of how I look now 

Flavio you are in great shape. Hopefully the weather goes are kind to you. If the dirt is firm packed it should be fine.

Watson/Mark let the weather banter continue