Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - what's your road 5K, you dont have it listed. Also thanks regarding my marathon (and Watson). You absolutely destroy me in every other distance, so I'll take this small victory in our incredibly friendly not-really-a-competition competition 

Haven't run a certified road 5k course so I haven't included it (are you proud?! ).  I ran 16:13 at Hobsonville Pt Parkrun in June last year, it looked like the course might've been slightly short but it did have a u-turn and some hills.  If I had to guess I'd say that I'd be just under 16 minutes on a flat road course.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Steve I dont think they officially close the Mount base track. They just have event in progress signs up to deter people.

Do any of you bother with vitamins? I have no idea whether running depletes me of anything that I'm not eating enough of.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve I dont think they officially close the Mount base track. They just have event in progress signs up to deter people.

Do any of you bother with vitamins? I have no idea whether running depletes me of anything that I'm not eating enough of.

I take extra magnesium.  My osteo recommended it a few months ago and I definitely noticed my muscles felt a lot better first thing in the morning (those first few steps after getting out of bed weren't all tight and awkward!).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

I have been taking after hard runs a Swiss brand sleep pills which contain magnesium, valerin (sp?), liquorice etc.  Good for sleep.

Just ran out and have bought plain magnesium, which will be used to assist sleep after hard runs.  Note I mainly run in the evening.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm on decently high doses of:

-Vitamin D

-magnesium

-vitamin B12

-folic acid (recent addition)

But....this is likely less due to running and more due to my ulcerative colitis meaning that I don't absorb nutrients from my intestines that well.  I.e. you do not necessarily need to do what I do.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

I take Vitamin D Sept-April. (non-summer months)

I used to take fish oil but even the pills were downright gross and I stopped, I never noticed a difference.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

No vitamins for me. I run on a steady diet of hangovers 

Mark - I ran for the first time in the Kinvara yesterday, what a great shoe! It's my first time trying a new daily training shoe in 6 years!

The only issue is that I may decide to go up in heel to toe drop. When I first started running, all of my injuries were above the knee. Had a ton of hip problems especially, so I went with lower drop shoes to combat that. It did help, but the last 3 years or so, I've had so many foot/ankle/calf issues that I think it might help to increase the heel to toe drop slightly. I'm not sure if I want to go up to the standard 12mm shoes, but I may see if there's anything more in the sweet spot of 6-8. I believe my Takumi Sens are and I love them. I do like the VF and ZF though and those are high drop shoes. Originally I had kept this rotation of low drop trainers, high drop tempo/speed shoes as a way to balance out the stresses in my legs, but maybe it's time to go up in the trainers.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac 12mm is not the standard now. Most companies have dropped this to 10mm or less. My Pegasus are now 10mm.

Look at the New Balance range. They are all around 6mm.

I bough Kinvara many years ago and could feel a burn on the skin at the bottom of my foot so alas no good for me.

Thanks for all the vitamin advice. Something in me wants to make a joke about taking a blue pill that makes me stiff...but I wont as we are a serious bunch on here 

Jokes aside I will take a multivitamin and see how it goes. I know there alot of money to be made by these supplement companies. Magnesium is probably an important one. After workouts I can have restless legs the night after.

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - yeah I love them.  I've lost count how many pairs of Kinvara's I've gone through since starting with the 7's.  As you say they are lower drop though so that's worth keeping an eye on.

Had an interesting discussion with my coach yesterday.  Her theory is that we didn't get the fuelling quite right - based on the fact that my heart rate never hit the red zone, my lungs weren't burning, I was just struggling to turn the legs over towards the end.  It makes sense as apparently my cardiovascular recovery indicators on TrainingPeaks are better after the marathon than they have been after my faster half-marathons (even Garmin's fairly basic recovery tracker is better).  I did take quite a lot of fuel - 4 gels plus some drink mix but possibly the timing was off and I needed to get those last 2 gels in earlier, or I needed more.  Anyway it's kind of a moot point now but it was interesting all the same.  She's pretty optimistic I'll be able to get in reasonable shape for road champs in 3.5 weeks time but for now it's just about sensible recovery.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Jmac, just come to the dark side and buy some Vibram toe-shoes. Your ankles will thank you ... or you'll keep beating them until they do.

So I dropped out of the 5k study I had signed up for. It was a bit of a mess and while the workouts were fine... I also felt like 10x min on @ 10k effort / min walk was excessively easy and the plan as a whole was unlikely to lead to a decent time.

Regardless my club finally published info for our end of year 20k championship so I'm changing my focus to that. I have 7 full weeks. My big problem is that they also decided to schedule 3 other events between now and then... a 20 miler, a hilly 10 miler and a 5k. I'm certainly not in any danger of winning, or even placing in the top half at those... but I now have to decide do I do what little training I can in 7 weeks or do I just repeatedly race and hope the fitness builds a bit that way. As my kids would say I have FOMO. I'm probably going to try to just race the 5k and the 20km but the other stuff is intriguing enough I'll either use it as a long run or a lite workout..

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Mark isn't that typical in a marathon though ? Breathing system is fine but legs want to give up. That's what marathon pace is all about. Wind, hills, and no pacers is coach Piwis theory 

Zebano I though the Vibram fad finished 10 years ago 

zebano

Piwi, it did but I have a cousin who still wears them and it always cracks me up. Those are some damn ugly shoes.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - any recommendations for trainers? I like lightweight trainers if possible, but obviously not racing flats. Kinvara was perfect if that gives you an idea

Mark - I agree with Piwi, fueling makes no sense. 4 gels PLUS drink mix is plenty for a 2:40 marathoner. Piwi's point around the marathon is also correct, you are never spent cardiovascularly. I was having a conversation with the women's Olympic A standard pacer at mile 25 at CIM, telling him how great of a job he did and his women did. My legs were completely trashed though. I think people generally go to the fueling answer when things go badly at the very end of a marathon, but I think it's rarely the reason why.

Vibrams - I watched that video you guys sent of the Kiwi, she was wearing Vibrams on the trail!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mark isn't that typical in a marathon though ? Breathing system is fine but legs want to give up. That's what marathon pace is all about. Wind, hills, and no pacers is coach Piwis theory 

Zebano I though the Vibram fad finished 10 years ago 

I have to admit, for me every system is dying at the end of a marathon - HR is as high as it gets during a 5K, breathing gets hard at the end....  As opposed to mile races, where my HR never gets very high.

I wonder if that's not a way to tell what one's best distance is - it's the distance at which everything starts failing equally at the end....

edit - in response to Jmac's points - I also take a ridiculous # of gels during a marathon - 8-9.  And I'm not that much slower than Marky_Mark or Jmac.    But I also take more gels during a marathon than anyone I know.  And I've crashed and burned when I haven't gotten them all in.

Unlike Jmac, I absolutely can't speak in the late miles of a marathon.  Once we get past 18 or so, I'm silent.  Early miles are a different story.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah my HR was pretty low though.  Average HR over the last 5km (upwind) was 172bpm.  In 10k and HM races I top out over 180.  My last marathon I think I hit 185.  I mean this is all just conjecture since I'm not running another marathon but it's interesting all the same.

edit: and to Darkwave's point, I've always tended to take more energy on in races than most.  I use gels during halves and we know what JMac thinks about that!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"