Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah it was nice to go for a jog at 5.30am today in 13c 

My legs feel fine. I guess I never got to run fast enough to fatigue them.

Steve Im hoping that Christchurch is nice and cool 

If my 10k is hot at the end of this month I might do an early morning 10k time trial before the year is out. Dead flat smoothe asphalt on a cool early morning 

I'm seeing alot of triathletes doing well in run events. Their running mileage is often quite low but they bike and swim alot. It must really keep them fit.

I found after Maraetai my legs were actually pretty good, it was just my aerobic system that blew up and not my legs.  They were pretty trashed after Omaha but that course has grass and beach so go figure.

The triathletes will generally be better conditioned to the heat as they're used to competing in summer and often in the heat of the day after a swim and bike already.

That flat coastal road near you is perfect for TT's.  It would've made for a fast half marathon in August too, but probably not in late November!

Felt pretty average with the cold this morning but lay around in bed and feeling quite a lot better this afternoon.  Hopefully it's a short-lived one.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark hopefully you clear out that bug soon.

I found some YouTube stuff on a South African triathlete Richard Murray. He is a beast runner. Did a low 28 min 10k TT recently. Also a 4.05 mile by himself. The letsrun crowd like to deny his talent as legit.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

I'm still battling the remains of this sinus infection. The pressure is gone, now it's just a "productive cough" and the sniffles which gets me a lot of looks if I go anywhere (thankfully Mrs. Z does 95% of the shopping). I took this week easy and had a few inadvertent steady days just because I was bored with my recovery protocol (steady running + illness = hard running by HR with extremely pedestrian times fyi).

Mon - 30 min ez run

Tue - 45 min ez + 20 min spin

Wed - 45 min ez w/ 4 strides + 25 min bodyweight

Thur -  45 min ez w/ 3 strides

Fri - hour steady offroad + ez 20 min spin

Sat - 1:17 steady (lake loop that started just a bit too hard and I never slowed down)

Sun - 40 min ez + 20 min ez spin

strength- 1 session: 25 min

Swim - 0 sessions

Bike - 3 sessions: 1 hour

Run - 7 session: 5h48m, 39 miles.

7h 13m

I think I ran on trails 6 days last week, so that's something.

the most notable part of my week was starting to plan my self supported ultra next year.

quick edit: I just realized I ran every day in October... I'm not sure how I feel about that as I've always considered a true day off to be important but my legs actually feel kind of snappy right now. Oh well, something to keep an eye on I guess.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

SOOOO much for me to catch up on! Quick info drop before trying to go through it all.

Last Monday we had a big ice storm come through and we lost power. Got it back for a few hours overnight Tuesday/Wednesday, but sustained high winds (combined with the previous ice damage) essentially destroyed the electrical relay station that services ~85% of the town. Just got power back yesterday afternoon, though there are still quite a few people in the area without it. Fortunately we had plenty of wood to heat at least part of the house (my daughters slept in the living room as the fireplace made it warmer), and we had a generator for the day or so prior to getting power, so we didn't lose a freezer full of food.

Still running, though not much at all. Working on picking up the mileage now, though (5 & 6 miles today and yesterday compared to 5k or less previously). My left adductors and sometimes hamstrings were still giving me some issues until a few days ago. I'm not sure if that was because I shifted to using different shoes for a few runs (Saucony Shift instead of Altra Escalate) or if that was coincidence and it started clearing up on it's own at the same time. Before it started feeling better I was quite close to going to see a PT. That has slipped a little down the ladder now, though I think the dad of a girl on DD1's soccer team is a PT (or at least works in a PT office) so I may ask him about setting up an appointment later.

Either way I'm a bit hesitant to move back to the Escalante, especially since with the latest version they've made the shoe narrower at the widest part of my foot. Recommendations for a new low-ish drop daily trainer, anyone?

Adding a bit after doing some reading:

Piwi - I get the "stand up, get lightheaded / vision goes all static-y" thing. Sometimes it happens pretty frequently, sometimes not. Also, nice race and RR.

Watson - That freak injury really sucks. Hope you get that all treated/healed quickly.

James - How's your son doing after having that drained? Had one of those on my back 11 years ago or so - having some gauze taped over it for recovery was how I figured out I'm somewhat allergic to at least one adhesive used in medical tapes. I had a couple hernias repaired maybe 9 years ago, too - hopefully that's not your issue. Recovery from that sucked worse than I thought it would. Mine were fairly large (one the size of a silver dollar, the other about a 50 cent piece), but didn't bother me really at all - I had those for nearly a decade before getting them patched. Getting them fixed was more of a "just so this doesn't turn into something really bad in the future" type of deal.

Flavio - Good effort at the TT - you'll hit that goal before long, whether in a TT or a race.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

Keen, that ice storm sounds awful. I'm glad you've got power back. Hopefully the electric grid is back to normal ASAP. I know the line workers pulled 80 hour weeks around here after the Derecho, so hopefully you get the same treatment.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I just moved to the Kinvara after 6 years in the PureFlow. Absolutely love the show, should have moved sooner. It's a 4mm drop. Check it out.

Zebano - productive coughs are much more satifsying!

Flavio - I know the feeling, almost gave up on my 10K TT in June when I know PR wasn't happening. I actually do think these boards are helpful though: the embarrassment of DNF'ing weighed on me and I pushed through. TTs are very tough though. I would recommend doing one at least with other people around: even just passing another person jogging can give you a bit of a boost.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

How do people find Saucony size wise?

I might order some next year online and am not sure whether to go US 11 or 11.5.  Current shoes:

Adidas 11

Nike 11.5 (would fit 11)

Asics 11.5 (would fit 11)

New Balance 11.5 (could not go down)

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Found the Kinvara fit the same as my Nike VaporFly / ZoomFly

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

+1 to JMac's comment re Nike / Saucony sizing being very comparable.

12.5 in the Saucony Kinvara is pretty much bang on 12.5 in the Next% for me.

I normally wear 13's in the Kinvara but that's only because 12.5's are pretty rare in this part of the world.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I've been procrastinating posting my week because there's so much activity on this thread to catchup on.

I'll catch up later, and just post my week now, so I don't get too far behind the Kiwis.

64 miles, 1000 yards swimming and 3:30 hours of pool-running
                      M: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                      T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 2x1200, 2x800, 2x200 in 3:13, 3:11, 4:53, 4:49, 3:12, 3:06, 43 and 42. 2:4x-2:5x recovery after the 800s and 1200s; full recovery for the 200s. Followed with leg strengthwork, streaming yoga, and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                      W: 9 miles very easy (9:06), drills and 4 hill strides, streaming yoga. 30 minutes of pool-running in the afternoon.
                      Th: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                      F: 12.5 miles, including a workout of 2x~2 miles in 6:47/6:55 and 6:45/6:34 with 3 minutes recovery between; full recovery; and then 2x~.25 miles with 1 minute recovery in 91 and 90 seconds. (all paces questionable due to watch reading from GPS rather than footpod. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                      Sa: 12 miles easy (9:02), followed by drills, 6 hill strides, streaming yoga. 30 minutes pool-running in the afternoon.
                      Su: 18 miles progressive, split as first 6 averaging 8:57, next 6 averaging 7:41, next 6 averaging 7:04 (GPS) or 6:53 (footpod), plus a half-mile cooldown. Followed with streaming yoga, leg strengthwork, and 50 minutes pool-running.

I felt really (and apparently looked) tired during Tuesday's workout, and had some trouble going to sleep on Tuesday night ( for me, that's an early sign of overreaching), so I deliberately slept in on Wednesday and shortened my run to get back into training balance. That seemed to help, as I felt much better the rest of the week.

My paces for my runs on both Friday and Sunday have a bit of a question mark - my latest watch tends to undermeasure distance substantially on my runs, so I've calibrated a footpod and now use that to measure distance/pace. The footpod seems to be quite accurate during track workouts (if I run 800m in lane 1, it reads .49-.50 miles).

However, the watch has been losing the connection with the footpod from time to time, and relapsing to the GPS. When it does that, I get the GPS pace/distance readings, rather than the footpod ones. And there tends to be 10 seconds per mile difference between the two. My workout on Friday was run completely by GPS, while Sunday's run was based on the footpod for the first 12 miles, and then GPS for the last 6 (which were the ones I cared about the most).

On Sunday, I was able to recover the footpod data directly from the footpod post run, giving me two sets of data for the last third of the run. Of course, no way to be sure either is correct, but my hunch is that the footpod is closer to the truth. For Friday, I'll just have to go with the GPS data, and know that I probably ran a little faster than that. I guess in the end it doesn't matter - effort is what counts.

One more week of training and then I go back for my second round of PRP.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Since this seems to be the only place the forum talks about running I'll officially stop lurking and come back to discuss running. The forum has helped me improve a TON over the years and I've even met a few people from here which was cool. I've had a miserable year, made the year miserable for others and my running was miserable to the point I just wanted to stop 100% and give everything away if I could even do that. So here is my introduction to training...taken from the Book of Jack Daniels.

36 male. 5'8ish (177cm), 177 pounds (80.28 kg)currently (i like my Oreos). Adult onset runner. Started because it was cheap exercise and continued because I enjoyed the daily running, then the training/improving over time.

about 45 miles per week average for the past 5 weeks. 40 is the bar I try to set for myself.

Ran a 16 miler about three weeks ago and try to keep at least a 10 miler on weekends.

Time trial 5k of 20:19 (PR) a few days ago. Did this to get a training pace moving forward because a 5K/10K plan was suggested to me as good training and I failed to listen until now.

I have 1-2 hours daily for running.

I can run 7 days a week with a 2 hour long run on weekends if I plan accordingly.

I have plenty of roads to train on. Running paths and sidewalks are my daily routine. Hills are available within a mile. Tracks are probably off limits right now and the only one I can think of is a 20 minute drive.

I've done a few 7-8 mile "tempo" runs with a friend doing marathon training at 7:45/mi pace to kick start things mentally. It felt like I was going to die sometimes during those runs and I actually bailed on the first one due to being so uncomfortable.

The only race I can think of coming up would be March 2021 5K around St. Patrick's Day. I could run the same loop I did for my 5k time trial if the race isn't happening.

Within the next 6-12 months the most important race to me is the Boston Marathon. I'd LOVE to break 3 hours there and with no date set other than "the fall" I'd go with a September race day only because it is when 2020 was rescheduled to.

so I'll be following the 40-50 mpw 5k/10k training plan out of the Daniels' Running Formula (3rd Edition) and hopefully I can break 20 minutes. At one point I probably could have broken 19 which blows my mind, and humbles me in my current status.

Yeah I really do have a 2:59:10 marathon PR and a 20:19 5k PR.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - Right now local crews are pulling 16 hour shifts. I know there are also crews from somewhere between 18-22 different states (currently a record) who are also working.

JMac - I did run for a year or two in the Kinvara, then later the Freedom ISO. I had checked out the Pureflow originally, but there was something about the way the upper buckled at the forefoot when toeing off  that made those uncomfortable. I'll certainly have to put the saucony's back on the possibilities list.

DWave - Do you use BT or ANT+ for the connection with the Stryd? I used the lane 3/4 line when I did a calibration for mine. I do agree that out of the box stryd may not be accurate for everyone (may need calibration factor), but is rather precise.
                          Still doing good after catching up on some rest?

RP - Welcome back to the running thread on this forum. Sounds like you have a good plan. With the exception of Botswana, my plan looks similar right now.

Any recommendations for neutral-ish, low-ish drop trainers other than the Kinvara, anyone?

I think I've got my oldest two on board with doing some running with me later today. I'm planning on taking them to the running path around the local little league ballfields (~.35mi loop) and just getting in a few run/walk laps and building from there.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

Keen - how old are they? I have one kid who really enjoys running with me and seems built for distance - he doesn't get bored and can just chug along at 12 minute paces for 2-4 miles. The others ... they really want to run Fartleks, at a mountain bike trail ... or anything to spice it up.

Darkwave its such a pain when a watch under measures. Especially in races ! Good job listening to your energy levels and adjusting accordingly.

RP I feel I know you pretty well after lurking in the sub 3 forum 

I'm sure when you ran sub 3 you could have run a sub 19 5k. Most sub 3ers could probably run 18 flat.

Keen Oklahoma weather is hardcore.

Its great when your kids start running. Its a pretty tough sport for youngsters to enjoy so don't worry if its short lived as they can always fire up again in the future.

My son 23 still comes for the odd jog with me. I got him into running when he was 13 and 14 but then he gave up.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - What's your itinerary for the weekend?  Depending on weather, I may do my long run in Hagley Park on Saturday morning finishing about 10-10:30 I hope.  I'll be a mess but could have a coffee then.  If I don't run in Hagley on Saturday I can just come in on Sunday (not sure I want to come in both days!).  I'll run in Hagley on Saturday if it's warm and/or windy.  At the moment it looks cool and calm though.

Saturday is scheduled for 24km with 8km of race pace so after you PB in the Park Run you could just pace me!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024