Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Josh I think im 90% of the problem and 10% of the solution. Unless the solution was "get comfortable being uncomfortable." Just getting something SET for a training plan and committing to it (with my usual "ugh...again...okay") helped a lot.  The name also goes with the Jeep I purchased a few years ago. Jeeps always have problems. Since you're going on lockdown it might be a good time to figure out a training plan with the goal being an April race. I'm honestly anticipating much running events in April since it's 1 year from the initial lockdown and businesses/events won't enjoy being postponed/canceled twice. Plus there seems to be a COVID 19 plan for everything at this point.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Josh you have a busy life so kudos on what you get done running wise. I have 4 kids 15 to 23 so old enough that they don't need me so much.

Mark is sub 9 a possibility? That would be an awesome barrier to break.

I've been watching some of the US elections live. Quite a show 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Josh you have a busy life so kudos on what you get done running wise. I have 4 kids 15 to 23 so old enough that they don't need me so much.

Mark is sub 9 a possibility? That would be an awesome barrier to break.

I've been watching some of the US elections live. Quite a show 

Everyone is waiting for nevada. They decided on Tuesday they wouldn't announce their election results until Thursday 9.5 hours from now.

See the source image

I don't know what the metric equivalent of hours is so I can't convert it.  

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Darkwave - Are there other features in the 735 that justify keeping it? We have the 645 and it’s super accurate.

Though I suppose maybe you’d want one with the swimming features, then perhaps the 945 would be best (apart from the price of course).

Josh - You’d be better of running a 3000 time trial to gauge your current fitness then do the workouts based on that.

Since you’re running fewer miles, you might have to adjust the Tempo to be slower than the calculator will say.

Running - Weren't you going by the handle Brewing something previously? I seem to remember you.

Anyway, this thread has thankfully remained politics free (mostly). I will say this though: The poorest US state (Mississipi, if going by GDP per capita) is 3 times richer than Brazil.

Yet Brazil has had electronic elections since the early 2000's at least. The election results are ready roughly 30/40 minutes after the polls close.

Voting in paper ballots in this day and age is absolutely pathetic.

me - I've decided to run in the park next to my house today. It has a rolling surface akin to a cross country course, some variation of terrain too (tarmac/dirt ground/gravel). It seems to be good for the legs.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Mark - Get well soon.

RP - I remember you from the old RWOL forums. I'm pretty sure that the 90/10 ratio you mentioned  is not correct. You've got way more ressources than that  !

Piwi - Thanks, but that's just the result of a combination of a little structure in life and not enough sleep.

Flavio - You may be right about a TT, but I'd probably need two or three of them to get the pacing right, since I'm not used to running fast stuff.

I agree with the no politics policy on RA, but I do have to say that I reject the notion of Germany being an absolutely pathetic country .

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Running Problem

Problem Child

Running - Weren't you going by the handle Brewing something previously? I seem to remember you.

Anyway, this thread has thankfully remained politics free (mostly). I will say this though: The poorest US state (Mississipi, if going by GDP per capita) is 3 times richer than Brazil.

Yet Brazil has had electronic elections since the early 2000's at least. The election results are ready roughly 30/40 minutes after the polls close.

Any country still voting in paper ballots in this day and age is absolutely pathetic.

me - I've decided to run in the park next to my house today. It has a rolling surface akin to a cross country course, some variation of terrain too (tarmac/dirt ground/gravel). It seems to be good for the legs.

Yeah that was a former life where I enjoyed beer (making, buying, collecting, trading, sharing, etc) and I stopped about 18 months ago I think. Figured I needed a name change since I had a life change. Las Vegas is the "city that never sleeps" and we're waiting on them to count their votes (stolen from a meme about the election results).

Paper ballots are still required here (USA) from my limited understanding. I remember electronic voting being too impossible just a few decades ago and now I'm looking forward to the next election where I can vote using an app on my phone.

Park runs (like a race) or just literally a park you're going to run at?

VDOT 53.37 

zebano

Josh,

Holy cow that's a lot of data. You're certainly doing your long runs so that's nice. If everything broke perfectly I could see you holding 4:45/km for a half, but I think 4:50-55 is a lot more likely but certainly no worse than 5:00/km. I find the 3:2 thing interesting as that's how I start HM-ish distances but it only lasts the first third of the race and I'm quickly into 2:2 for most of it and finish at 2:1. Given that traditional threshold pace is faster than HM pace for us mortals, I usually do threshold work at 2:2 (exception the first 2-3 minutes where everything is still easy).

p.s. I have no idea how cinder track times translate to the road. I'm assuming they're similar.

Zebano - My oldest is 9, the middle one is 6. My youngest (3 in 6 weeks) stayed home to "help" her mom cook.

Planning on keeping your king in the middle the entire game??

I don't believe in modern chess principals =) and I do believe I've finally rectified that issue, but knight sacs ideas on f6 are scary. I was a lot happier with my position 4 or 5 moves ago, that's for sure. That's awesome that you got them out running at such a young age, I hope they run some races with you.

A local buddy who wears nothing but Escalantes loves the latest version and thinks their the best shoe he's ever worn.

Flavio - doubling down on the mental anguish of a time trial! I love it.

Mark -  My condolences on the sinus infection. My sinuses are better but I just started antibiotics because I have some gunk in the lungs that is just hanging around. I'm itching to get a workout in. Eating garbage is nice, but I run for the beer.

Josh -  the really short version of the story is that growing up I went backpacking on Isle Royale numerous times and have great memories. I want to run across the island (roughly 40 miles) as a way to celebrate turning 40. My cousin did his first 50k this year and he's going to join me and my brothers & oldest son will show up on the other end of the island so we can have a little canoe/kayaking trip after. I also agreed to join my brother in a 99 mile mountain bike race in roughly the same time frame so I really need to sort out the schedule.

ugg, election. Honestly the biggest thing I've found is that I work with some republicans and I can't even speak to them because the news we consume is so incredibly different. Did you know "Clinton" is a curse word? AoC is getting close and Pelosi is basically there right now. Socialized medicine == total government control of the economy and will cause it to totally tank. Asking for any sort of police reform or suggesting a single police officer should be reprimanded means I hate all police officers.... honestly, I don't view anything in the world with as much certainty and lack of nuance as they do and it really just baffles me how they can even hold together such a worldview. Anyways, sorry for getting political, I'll go back to running now and edit this out of the post if anyone can't stand it.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - You may be right about a TT, but I'd probably need two or three of them to get the pacing right, since I'm not used to running fast stuff.

I agree with the no politics policy on RA, but I do have to say that I reject the notion of Germany being an absolutely pathetic country .

Poor writing on my part. I meant that elections on paper ballots is pathetic when the tech for electronic voting exists for 30 years.

Germany is probably my favorite country in the world because I'm a nerd for efficiency, and at least as a tourist it's the one place where I feel things just work.

One time trial is enough. Just go hard and positive-split it if you must. Wait a couple of months and do another if you feel your fitness has improved quite a bit.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JW - We have a very similar build, though you're a bit more slender. You've got 2+" on me but I'm maybe 1lb or so less than you.

Zebano - I absolutely loved the escalante versions 1 & 1.5, but the latest is more narrow than I want and older versions have all been bought up. Thus the search. Maybe I'll actually make my way to a running store to try out new shoes for the first time in 2-3 years!

I was absolutely going to sac that knight on f6, and I also liked your position (for you) much better, but I think your king may have actually been safer in the middle. Perhaps Ke7 as an alternative to O-O? This game is getting really interesting.

Isle Royal looks like an awesome place for an ultra.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Re the US election, I find it pretty remarkable how divided the US is on that front.  I mean, I would probably never consider voting for the Labour party here, but the reality is that there's not that much difference between our two major parties as they're always really battling for the centre ground anyway.  I don't think someone's an idiot because they voted Labour, probably just a bit gullible.  I think a lot is to do the with partisan bias in the US media, it's all gone a bit tribal because people either watching nothing but Fox News or nothing but CNN or an equivalent.  My father in law watches quite a lot of Fox News and I just totally steer clear of discussing US politics with him now as he just can't see any other side of the story.

I don't think our media here in NZ are great, and they generally lean slightly left, but they can go either way depending what will get the bigger audience.  Not sure that's a great thing either but at least it can work both ways.

Zebano - thanks, hope you're feeling better soon too.  I had lots of fun green stuff coming out when I ran this morning but felt a lot better.  Normally the antibiotics knock it on the head pretty fast for me.

Piwi - I'd say probably no chance of breaking 9:00.  When I ran my 5000m PB last year I was in absolute top form and that was 3:08/km average.  Since the marathon I've run one half-decent track session and that's it.  I just don't think I've got enough speed in my legs right now.  But it'll be fun all the same.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Josh - I think you're about 1:35-40 depending on conditions, but definitely potential to bring that down a lot with increased volume - totally get that may not be possible/desirable though.

zebano - I think I agree with your R friends on a lot of that...I'll leave it at that 

Mark - Sounds like a good idea to go for a short one instead.

piwi - Thank goodness for the southerly change overnight, it was too hot yesterday for racing.  Should be nice and cool for the weekend.

me - I've been a bit quiet this week due to concern for soreness in my lower calf/achilles.  It's hung around for a few runs without really increasing but caused me enough concern to shorten my recovery run yesterday and cancel today's run.  I hope with that and plenty of ice I can do my long workout tomorrow.  I'll be cautious though - if I need to miss a few key workouts to get to Queenstown I'd prefer that.  I have a good base so I don't see it being too costly.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve thats sounds good for tomorrow's Parkrun.

Bugger about your niggles. Let me know if you are up for anything. I see there was an earthquake this morning down there.

Mark lets put you down for a 9.30 then  thats still a great time. I may have voted blue  you won't enjoy watching breakfast news. That is very left.

Flavio over here we chisel out our votes on rock

and get incredibly strong carrier pigeons to deliver them 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve thats sounds good for tomorrow's Parkrun.

Bugger about your niggles. Let me know if you are up for anything. I see there was an earthquake this morning down there.

Mark lets put you down for a 9.30 then  thats still a great time. I may have voted blue  you won't enjoy watching breakfast news. That is very left.

Flavio over here we chisel out our votes on rock

and get incredibly strong carrier pigeons to deliver them 

We know how to count votes here...makes up for not being able to measure kilometres properly.  I turn off all NZ media now - when they stopped being neutral and started campaigning for Labour I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm sure I can get into town at some point, hopefully it ties in.  I was pouring a drink and heard a bang that I thought was odd, but because it's been a while since an earthquake I kept pouring.  Then the bench moved and I spilled everywhere...it was only 4.6 but centred very close to where I live.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Lots going on here. The US is a disaster politically. Most of the country is actually more moderate than the politicians, but the political parties have no desire to compromise because they'll get "primaried". But conversations going on at home are much more honest with each other, as one would expect.

I am nailing some big workouts, but my body is crumbling. I am just getting over the plantar fasciitis / achilles tendonitis, and yet a sports hernia and now more importantly, some weird lateral hip injury that has me limping when walking, has come up. I am not built for these long 5K/10K cycles anymore. I am just hoping to hobble my way to a PR by the end of November, and then taking a break. My body is done with these shorter distances 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac your condition just goes to show how different we all are. You can't wait for the short fast stuff to stop and Mark can't wait for it to begin.