Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac you need to build up the dad strength. It takes time.seriously though, is any of this similar to 2018 when you’d always get injured due to over training? Are you moving less working from home, working too hard/not resting or recovering enough on easy days? Any new side projects you’re doing since 5/10k training takes a little less time than marathon training?

I like the memes about Nevada taking so long. I avoid getting politician until I have a whole lot of time to be upset.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - so true. If you ask me of all workouts, which ones I smash, it's always long MP runs and lactate threshold. I've never smashed a VO2 workout. We can leave the short distances to Mark. Although I look forward to 5K cycles, they're so difficult on the body, even though I know most people feel marathon cycles are harder.

Josh - sorry for not catching up more on your training, will do so soon.

RP - dad strength is only as strong as the child, which right now can't walk, so I'm perfectly aligned.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Quick check in. I ran the Hagley Parkrun today but unfortunately it came up at 4.95kms in 18.06

Conditions were near perfect 15c and wind pretty good.

I think I ended up about 6th or so. There was a group of fasties up front and quite a big gap to me.

A guy did overtake me around 3k which was good as I tagged along on his tail.

Alot of people got 4.9xkms  and a few 5kms.

It was a different start area to last time I ran this.

I guess if I add on another 50 to 70m my time may have been a small improvement?

Average pace 3.39/km which equates to 18.15

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Seem to be getting on top of this sinus infection, which is good, and managed a very gentle track workout today.  I'm honestly pretty relieved I didn't run NZ Road Champs today, it was 23C, 90% humidity and with a northerly wind (which gets amplified 2x on that course)... the times were pretty horrendous with many runners around 40-60 seconds slower than on the same course last year.

This week is going to be pretty soft given 3 days off but hopefully I can put in a bit of work over the next 2 weeks and the half at the end of the month won't be a total write-off.

Piwi - those parkrun courses often come up short, I think they normally just measure them with a watch or cellphone, so not very reliable.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark thats pretty tough conditions for the 10k. One of my strava mates ran it.

Funnily enough Parkrun is normally one of the few events I get proper distance. At Tauranga and last time at Christchurch with different start area both were good.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry Piwi. Yall know how I feel about this. It's honestly not fair to participants.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - I think this is a PB.  As I said in the text, on certain corners in the park, especially with heavy tree cover, my GPS can lose the signal.  If others are measuring over 5km then there's a fair chance the course was legit.  This is quite a competitive Park Run with a few guys in the 15 range so it's beyond belief they could screw this up.  Even if it was short, your time translates to a PB

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Sorry Piwi. Yall know how I feel about this. It's honestly not fair to participants.

It’s a casual Parkrun in NZ, not NYRR, though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It’s a casual Parkrun in NZ, not NYRR, though.

No I agree with that, but as I've said before, even charity 5Ks near me are all certified. Yes, I'm spoiled. I also understand mismeasuring longer races. But a 5k is easy to get close even non-certified. There's no reason for it to be off more than 20 meters.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

No I agree with that, but as I've said before, even charity 5Ks near me are all certified. Yes, I'm spoiled. I also understand mismeasuring longer races. But a 5k is easy to get close even non-certified. There's no reason for it to be off more than 20 meters.

Especially since this course has been used every Saturday for many years!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

I'm sure it was short. I notice the ones that got 5k were mostly using apple watches.

Last time I ran it they used an alternative start and it was 5.1kms.

As soon as I crossed I gasped to the main organizer that I got it short. He didn't respond 

I didn't feel good during this run even in the 2nd km.

I looked at my watch in the 3rd km and saw 3.50 and thought it was my pace but it was the distance thankfully  .

Running Problem

Problem Child

Pretty sure most of the ‘charity’ type 5k events locally just recycle the same courses because they’re in a convenient location and everyone knows them. They’re not typically put on by runners, or if they are you already know what the course will be when you hear ‘we are doing a 5k this weekend for our school at _______.’ Ah yes. I hate that course. They really need to change it because ________. 

20meter accuracy for a 5k? So do you expect them to walk it with a measuring wheel, or just run it a lot with a GPS watch? I think a lot of the courses near me are long/short due to location/availability of turn around locations.

I think there has been ONE actually new course in the 7 years I’ve been running. Even the CERTIFIED marathon course was changed to a two lap course, and came out under 25.9 miles. Over two years. Across multiple devices. the race died and IF there is ever another marathon here it will be the same old course. Mostly because the logistics of a point to point course make it unappealing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

20meter accuracy for a 5k? So do you expect them to walk it with a measuring wheel, or just run it a lot with a GPS watch? I think a lot of the courses near me are long/short due to location/availability of turn around locations.

Probably not for a charity 5k, but weekly Parkruns yes!  It wouldn’t take long and you aren’t obstructed by traffic. Funnily enough my first ever Parkrun was 30m short and it actually shows on my official Power of 10 results, so I’m assuming that most of them in the UK are certified as I’ve never had a short reading.

parkrun 18:33       6     1 Brighton & Hove Brighton & Hove parkrun # 120 (30m short) 6 Feb 10

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Yeah I agree. Its easy to see by strava results if most are reading short.

I think there's very few runners who take it as seriously as us lot. I mentioned to a few chatting after and they really didn't care.

Unfortunately I wasn't up for 3.35/km pace even though I had a good last 5 x 1000s at 3.31/km.

That likely my last 5k this year.

I've run 18.29, 18.25, and short on what was probably going to be 18.20.

Baby steps of progress 

JamesD

JamesD

Congrats, Piwi.  Progress is progress, and baby steps are better than no steps.  

For me, running is still off the table, so this week I tried to figure out what and how much I could do in the pool without aggravating the hamstring or the hernia.  My infection seems to be hanging around despite antibiotics, as my RHR is 5-10 bpm over normal and my swims seemed harder than they should have considering that they were less than half the distance of my hour-plus swim two weeks ago.  If all goes well, I’ll try to build up to 45-60 minutes of swimming or pool running 5x/week while I continue my PT sessions & exercises.

Sun - off

Mon - 0.1 miles attempt to jog, glute said no

Tues - 30 minutes pool running (more like pool jogging)

Weds - PT session including 5 minutes exercise bike

Thurs - 21 minutes swimming

Fri - 40 minutes pool running

Sat - 26 minutes swimming

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32