Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

RP nice week nonetheless even with the disruptions.

Flavio i don't have an exact plan with tapering. A 5k is so short that I don't put a huge amount of importance on pre to post preparation. I did take a light week last week after the 11k which drained my energy but not my legs from a muscular point.

Traveling to any race comes with risks and stresses that you can't plan for. I still don't have the warmup figured out.

I tend to just jog a slow 2k with some surges.  I don't think this is enough to get into 5k mode.

Next time I will try the 6 x 1000 workout. It probably will be in the 3.35 to 3.40 region so my race pace is probably about right.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - nice job keeping it cool on the plane. Was it Jetstar or Air NZ? I always find Jetstar has a higher risk of stuff like that.

Flavio - you are totally right on overtraining. In hindsight I did not have enough down weeks during the year when I was consistently racking up 50 or 60+ miles week after week. In the past I’ve always trained in blocks of 8-10 weeks between races so it wasn’t a big issue but 6 months straight is a lot more than that!

I’m still getting rid of the last of this sinus infection but feeling a lot better. Managed a good tempo effort this morning despite pouring rain and very wet shoes and felt fresh and energised at the end. I’m hoping this is finally the end of the post-marathon funk!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

I  love the Des Linden joke, that's a sick burn.

Piwi- shame about the distance but nice race regardless, a PR is a PR. You're making good progress.

The sinus infection seems to  be gone with the exception of some gunk in the throat, but it lingered all last week and I just felt really run down so I took a second down week in a row. Notably the weekend was almost nothing. Oh well. In bigger news I've stopped prioritizing eating well and sleeping well and that's probably a large bit of feeling run down, especially when combined with illness. Doing better there is probably more important than running decent mileage. I also had my second covid test and it's still negative so that's a relief.

Mon -  50 min run , 25 min cycle, all easy.

Tue  40 min run at ez paces that felt really hard, 25 min weights

Wed - 35 min ez

Thur - 40 min ez

Fri - 55 min ez

Sat -  built a shed, then 25 min progression up to tempo effort because the doggo was feeling frisky but fairly disappointing results (7:17/mi avg)

Sun - 20 min ez then took the kids hiking at a lovely state park.

30 miles / 50 km.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - Nice work calming the situation down.  Sometimes people just need someone to be nice to them!

flavio - It did get hot quite early this year but with one exception I've only had recovery or easy runs on those days.  Don't worry, the whining will begin in earnest before long.

I've had quite a big load and looking at the next 11 days, the coach is going easy on me.  I've queried his thinking but I'm guessing that my last 2 races had signs of over training so he's erring the other way.  My run tomorrow is usually my hardest tempo run, 10 days out, but he's only got me doing 2x3km @ race pace (ish) with a full 1km easy in between.  Initially I wanted to bump it up but I see the benefit in getting to race day fresh and itching to go.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve I guess the 2x3k at half pace is a light stress workout.

Personally I would like to see you do continuous 8 to 10k tempos at half pace. Too close now but they really give you an idea of your half race pace.

Mark it was Air New Zealand. He was yelling that he had anger issues and that she was humiliating him when of course he was humiliating himself.

Zebano good to hear you are clearing that bug.

Did I read your post wrong or are you saying you are not worried about sleep and eating well ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Just thought I'd drop in and say hey.

Hey! I hope everyone is doing well I'm still keeping up with most of you on Strava and have seen some good w/o's and a couple Great races

keep up the good work.

I've been extremely busy lately with work and launching this new project,  that coupled with just plain ole' fatigue and lack of motivation for running has kept me away.

With no races planned anytime soon, I'm just out trying to run a few miles per week to keep some level of fitness up.

I'll be back soon as a regular member to the forum just gotta get past a few things right now.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - sounds like things are finally turning around, which lines up with my usual recovery time for a marathon. Good luck.

Piwi - in America, that flight would have ended in a fistfight, 5 people recording it on their cell phones, someone screaming about Trump, someone screaming against Trump, and an air marshall dragging the person out. I think you may be someone who needs a long warmup as you alluded to. I think DW has long warmups for 5Ks. I generally keep it around 2 miles, 1.5 miles if it's a warmer day. But on a super cold day, I could see needing a 5K warmup.

DW - I liked the tweet. Also how does the footpod work? I thought it just mildly corrects the GPS, it can't be that far off, can it?

Steve - glad you and Piwi got to meet up, and of course I agree with him your final test would have been a long stretch of continuous running (HM I find too tough and prefer MP, but HM works too)

Zebano - glad to hear you don't have COVID and the symptoms are gone. The spread in the US doesn't seem to be slowing at all.

RP - 5K training sucks early on, give it a month

Corey - great to hear from you! was wondering how you were doing.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I realized I haven't really been posting weeklies at all. I'm nearing the end of the "Jack Daniels murders you" part of my 5K cycle, e.g. back to back VO2/LT workouts. My body has broken down this cycle: I've had achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, a sports hernia, and now some hip pain that was so painful the first day I got it I could barely walk. Everything right now is manageable though, mainly through the use of heavy taping. I think the days of being able to train this hard for a 5K are past me.

My goal is to run a PR by the end of November. My most recent workouts (Flavio to your post on Strava) indicate something around a 16:30, so I think it's definitely within reach. I would love to go sub 16:30 and then be done with 5Ks, at least lifetime PRs. My body is not suited for short races anymore and I'd love to get another marathon in next year. Given the good vaccine news, I think it's likely we will be racing again next fall.

I'm not sure I'll get a 10K in. I'm going on paternity leave starting the very last week of November, so it'll be hard to get runs in unless I og late at night. I may try though as I think I could snag a PR there as well. Maybe I'll just try to get it within a week or two of that 5K, and then take 2 weeks off to give my body a full recovery after a difficult cycle.

Weekly for period: From: 11/02/2020 To 11/08/2020

Date Name Distance
                  in mi
                  Duration Avg Pace
                  per mi
                  Elevation Gain
                  in ft
                  11/02/2020 8 x (3 on, 2 off) 9.71 01:13:18 07:33 351
                  11/04/2020 3T (17:06) + 4x200 + 2T (11:15) 10.10 01:14:18 07:21 312
                  11/05/2020 Afternoon Run 7.42 00:59:05 07:58 282
                  11/06/2020 Don't know how people survived without KT Tape 8.45 01:06:20 07:51 335
                  11/07/2020 10M @ 6:03 12.64 01:26:07 06:49 499

Total distance: 48.31mi

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Zebano good to hear you are clearing that bug.

Did I read your post wrong or are you saying you are not worried about sleep and eating well ?

I am very worried about it. I've been really slacking on that side of the being healthy equation (as is my wont). My sons found a couple of video games that I enjoy playing with them (Rocket League and Dungeon Defenders II) and when I stay up late I tend to start munching (late being after 9PM). The Mrs and I also started watching the Queens Gambit on Netflix and it's an excellent show but it's just another chance to munch and have an extra beer. I highly recommend it to chess fans and non-chess fans.

Steve -  that's a lite workout for a peak workout but it should be interesting. I feel like you've raced a lot of longer races this year and this might just be the remedy you need to stay fresh, not everyone can train at peak volume & intensity for 6 months like Mark =)

JMac - 5k training cycles suck all the way through!  I hope your body holds up. How many 5k races / TTs are you intending to run?

Piwi - way to diffuse the situation! Was this recently?

In more exciting news, my Isle Royale guidebook showed up yesterday so I get to do some enjoyable reading.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - maybe you need more warm up.

But maybe you need to take the day before off. Maybe both.

Zeb - I see you’re also a subscriber to the school of running by time.

It’s good to hear you’re getting out the other way. I’ve had a few of these bouts last year and lost 40 days of training to it.

Eventually I got a flu shot and it actually helped a lot I reckon.

Steve - the coach wants you to arrive fresh at the race. Last time you had another race getting in the way.

Your fitness won’t change much from now until race day., that is to say, there’s not much you can do to get better, but there’s a ton of stuff you can do to get worse.

Jmac - To be fair these workouts from JD are insane. Now I understand why you hate them so much and think you’re not built for this.

Of course when he makes you run back to back hard days and also things like 6x1200.

If you however, some day, decide to do a training block that is not as aggressive, I’m sure you will do better.

me - found a different place to run my workouts today. A super market parking lot. No dogs off the leash, pretty much flat, longish stretch and no need for u-turns.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Zeb - I see you’re also a subscriber to the school of running by time.

It’s good to hear you’re getting out the other way. I’ve had a few of these bouts last year and lost 40 days of training to it.

Eventually I got a flu shot and it actually helped a lot I reckon.

me - found a different place to run my workouts today. A super market parking lot. No dogs off the leash, pretty much flat, longish stretch and no need for u-turns.

Yup, I love running by time on easy days and for Warm Up / Cool Down, I can't just run harder and ruin the point of the day. HR + time with a lot of leeway for shorter days when I don't feel well.

It's funny you mention the parking lot as when it gets snowy and icy here,  I know a lot of runners who run in a mall parking lot, especially if they want to do any sort of workout. It's always empty at 5-6AM, they keep it cleaned up and it's about .75 miles around.

Piwi - I'm with Flavio on long warmups. The older I get the more I need 25-30 minutes to really feel ready to roll.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - To be fair these workouts from JD are insane. Now I understand why you hate them so much and think you’re not built for this.

Of course when he makes you run back to back hard days and also things like 6x1200.

If you however, some day, decide to do a training block that is not as aggressive, I’m sure you will do better.

Ok, I'd like to expand on my reasoning here.

I believe there are several factors at play here.

One is obviously genetics, which roughly determines what kind of recovery times you have, but also what's your ceiling in terms of physical strength and vo2max. Genetics also determines how much you can progress with strength training, of course.

It seems to me that the ideal training block has you running just slightly under trained so you can arrive fresh and fit on race day.

6x1200 actually makes sense considering Jmac is very fit and fast. He's theoretically extracting his last 10% of fitness here, it's not like a newbie who could run 4x1200 and still extract a lot of benefit.

Back to back workouts, however, are very taxing and may compromise recovery potentially causing injuries. There's the matter of whole weekly mileage which is also a factor, as you increase impact with faster/stronger workouts, you need to lower the weekly mileage to compensate for that.

Now should Jmac just give up with 5k training? Maybe, probably not. He could still have a less injury prone block by managing the variables at play. Obviously Jmac knows all this, I'm just listing them for the purpose of this discussion:

- Slightly lower mileage could be a factor in weeks with the hardest workouts.

- Strength training would greatly increase his resilience to these workouts, though it takes time to show results.

- Strength training would also make him a faster person overall, perhaps making the "I" workouts easier.

- Strength training also makes your non-running life easier

- Adding an easy day in between the hard workouts is also a possibility, though you lose the accumulated strain intended by those back to back workouts.

The 5k is still 95% or something aerobic, Jack is an aerobic machine (unless he runs a mile and that shows otherwise), so he should still excel at the distance. And greatly benefit from this block during his marathon training down the line.

My 1500m training block last year helped me a lot with the last 800 of the longer races, it's like it's given me an extra gear.

All of that said, Jack said himself that he prefers training for the longer races, especially the marathon, and running is about enjoyment and longevity.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Nice run, even if it did read a bit short.

Mark - Feeling better since the weekend?

Flavio - My marathon PR was set in the Escalante Racer! I actually still have that pair. I do worry that Altra will "update" that last as well and it'll end up narrow like the escalante 2s.

Steve - Good couple of weeks.

DWave - Nice progress.

RP (Still want to type "Brew" here) - No worries about the off week, especially at the very beginning of a cycle and a nebulous race date.

JMac - Good that you're getting past the killer part of the cycle, and nice week. How's the little one doing?

Not much of a week from me. I was doing well running 10k or so in the mornings, but then a soccer-tournament weekend took away lots of time for that. I'm looking to run at least 7 miles/day this week, maybe with another hill sprints workout Thursday or Friday. Maybe even getting in a double-digit mileage run on the weekend! Hoping to just build mileage and then layer on some workouts with the goal of taking a huge chuck of time off my 5k and/or 10k PRs in the spring.

Still have a bit of a niggle in (most likely) my left adductor. It's enough to be annoying and make me feel like I'm not able to run at 100%, but doesn't seem to be affecting my stride. I may go see a PT about it if it keeps up.

As of this morning the OKC Marathon has been moved from the middle/end of April to the beginning of October. Both of those are seriously about the worst times of year to run a marathon in this state. In April temps can be 60*+ with tons of humidity after being much cooler prior to that, and October temps can be quite a bit warmer and just as humid - though at least a person would have been able to train through the heat of the summer to be somewhat used to it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac The funny thing is it didn't suck. It was more "this feels too easy" and it's based of my recent time trial. Hope you get that dad strength built up this winter. Spring training is going to need it.

Keen Maybe you should suggest a 5am start since you're the early runner in the area. You might even have some free time to help out the RD.

CFarr I see your runs and wonder if you've sometimes bailed on forums like most of society. Glad you're back.

piwikiwi crazy people on a plane? imagine that. https://youtu.be/oErTzX8qGoo Number 3 is a good one. Thankfully my son was loud/audible at the START of our flight to Chicago and hawaii, then passed OUT when the plane started moving and the OTHER kids around us started making noise. I was thinking of coworkers who hate kids on planes.

Flavio a supermarket parking lot? Either you're doing some SHORT intervals, or that country has some EMPTY parking lots. Like...."business closed due to COVID 19 shutdowns" empty.  I just use dogs and walkers as objects to run around and consider it race day training for passing people. Always fun having that dog owner white knuckle death grip the leash as I come jogging up.  Oh and Jmac depart from Jack Daniels training? Maybe when he gets old and injured too much he'll reconsider his preferred training plans. Too bad it's going to be after all his PRs are supposed to come so no one gets to see a measurable difference. At least his marathon PR is at CIM.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - Start time is slated for 6:30. Participation (such that it will be) would likely plummet if the start time was earlier. Even before the covid stuff marathon finishes at OKC had been dropping for years.
                                Hopefully free time will be lesser when that rolls around.
                                In the past 4 years (going backwards) morning lows in OKC that time of year have been 52/11.1*, 60/15.5*, 72/22.2*, and 72/22.2*. Certainly not the best marathoning weather.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: