Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

zebano

My understanding with foot pods is that the other place they really excel is helping you normalize effort across hills. Heart rate lags significantly and GPS pace doesn't really account for hills at all.

Regarding tapering for a 5k. I really agree with what Flavio typed up, but my one little wrinkle is that I like some faster than 5k effort in the sharpening workout. 12x200@3k / 200 jog recovery is my go-to workout. Anecdotally it makes 5k effort feel slower.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Okay so underpasses are another good use, and so are treadmills. Agreed on that. I'm surprised though you guys are getting 2% error on GPS. If I'm on an open road with just trees on a certified course where I run the tangents, I'm rarely off by even 1%. Maybe my watch is just more accurate than others?

Thanks for the tapering advice folks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Okay so underpasses are another good use, and so are treadmills. Agreed on that. I'm surprised though you guys are getting 2% error on GPS. If I'm on an open road with just trees on a certified course where I run the tangents, I'm rarely off by even 1%. Maybe my watch is just more accurate than others?

With my previous watch I had the same experience - mostly close enough in the locales that you describe that I was fine with it.    I did have several places where it would consistently read off, and I'd just correct for those with manual splits.

Then I got the new watch, and that GPS was just consistently off, giving paces 15 seconds or so per mile off when I had good GPS conditions (as well as being off when I didn't).  So it just made sense to switch to the foodpod.  At least until I get a new watch when a good sale comes around.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My understanding with foot pods is that the other place they really excel is helping you normalize effort across hills. Heart rate lags significantly and GPS pace doesn't really account for hills at all.

Those are the footpods that measure power as well as pace/distance.   My Stryd does that.  I generally ignore power, though.  I look at it after for interest, but don't give it much weight.

Commander Keen is more into power, I believe.  (wow, that sounded very supervillainish)

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Thanks for the tapering advice folks.

Maybe the certified course is out  After all no measurement is exact as it can be infinitely split.....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Those are the footpods that measure power as well as pace/distance.   My Stryd does that.  I generally ignore power, though.  I look at it after for interest, but don't give it much weight.

Commander Keen is more into power, I believe.  (wow, that sounded very supervillainish)

Muahahahaha!!!

I do like running power, it has worked well for me. 300 watts (just throwing a number out there) is marathon effort no matter if it's uphill, downhill, flat, with, across, or against the wind. 7 min/mi (throwing more numbers) may be marathon effort on flats without  wind, but isn't on uphills, against the wind, downhills, etc.

I do especially prefer power on treadmills vs pace - running on a treadmill is usually easier vs land at a given pace because you're not having to overcome any air resistance. And that difference is greater the faster you're going.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

How did people successfully train for marathons without GPS or foot pods? Did they just run by feel for a set amount of time? Did they just run track or paved running paths with marked distances? The more I've learned about running the more I've realized how easy it is to overcomplicate things. I say this as someone who uses his GPS like a security blanket + crutch + mommy for running any kind of race or workout. I literally CAN NOT imagine running something like 12x400 strictly off feel with no checkpoint halfway through to tell if I'm going too fast or too slow. I also had the Garmin footpod at one point to run on a treadmill with and thought all 5ks were accurately measured.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

watsonc123

The reason that a lot of intervals are 200, 400, 800, 1200 or 1600 metres was that they were run on tracks which allowed accurate measurement.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

Injury update - second x-ray confirmed radius fracture at elbow.   Shoulder injured, having x-ray next Monday, and Ultrasound following Friday as physio wants to get it checked out more. Shoulder ROM very restricted.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Injury update - second x-ray confirmed radius fracture at elbow.   Shoulder injured, having x-ray next Monday, and Ultrasound following Friday as physio wants to get it checked out more. Shoulder ROM very restricted.

Ooof.  I'm so sorry.  How long will that have you out for?

zebano

ok, so I didn't realize footpods that don't measure power exist. TIL.

Watson, sorry about the fracture. Ugg. Heal fast.

Regarding watches, yeah there's a reason that tracks are popular places to train. I've considered switching totally to timed intervals but I like the track. It just has a reassuring feeling of speed.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The reason that a lot of intervals are 200, 400, 800, 1200 or 1600 metres was that they were run on tracks which allowed accurate measurement.

It was also not uncommon for people to mark some running routes with markers (chalk marks or flags) to indicate distance.

Running Problem

Problem Child

It was also not uncommon for people to mark some running routes with markers (chalk marks or flags) to indicate distance.

I've considered doing this and realized I've gotten to a point in running where the "get healthy/fit" has gone away and it's now more about the racing aspect to measure improvements. The health benefits are just an added bonus...I guess.

I ended up using a rock, a stop sign, someone's trash can, someone's driveway, an interesection/road sign, and a gate. Pretty sure the turn is a 1200m and the fun, for me, part of it is we do "crosswalk to chevron" or "crosswalk to Jaimie's rock" instead of X00m repeats.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is all my interval work. Some running club graciously has marked 200 meter markers on a relatively flat section of Central Park, so I'll do anything from 200/400 meter repeats to 1200 meter intervals on there. Much better than trying to use a watch.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Re how long I am out for - I don't know.  Elbow should be OK in a month.  Shoulder is the big unknown.