Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I figured you see that kind of stuff all the time! Here in NYC, there are now at least three owls in and around the park: two barred owls and a great horned owl. They're all the rage in this pandemic; I've become a bit of a birder myself as there's not much else to do!

DW - this was probably pages back, but why are you buying a treadmill in the first place? DC doesn't seem like the kind of place where you need one

Weather - Although I like those temps I said, my favorite weather for runs really depends on the purpose of it, somewhat akin to what DW was saying. I do like it a bit warmer if I'm just going for a 60 minute easy run.

Easy runs: 70s and dry

Long runs: 60s and dry

5K/10K races: 50s

Half/Full: 40s

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - this was probably pages back, but why are you buying a treadmill in the first place? DC doesn't seem like the kind of place where you need one

A few reasons:

1) I run by myself in the early morning and sometimes I feel vulnerable doing so.  Especially when there are reports of someone out there assaulting women, and the person has not been caught yet.  It would be nice to have the option to run inside during those situations.

2) I worry that at some point we will get an outdoor mask mandate that does not exclude exercise.  I cannot run outside with a mask due to my asthma, not even at easy pace.  Having a treadmill will allow me to run without breaking the law.

3) Things do get iced over for a day or two sometimes here - we don't get cleared as quickly as Central Park Smile.  My back-up used to be running on a road underneath a freeway in Georgetown, however they recently added several speed bumps to that road that make it less useful for speedwork.

4) when my ulcerative colitis is flaring, it's awfully nice to go for a run knowing that a bathroom is very close. (TMI, but oh well).  It sucks having to plan out routes around bathroom options.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

All good reasons, especially number 4, which should have been number 2.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

All good reasons, especially number 4, which should have been number 2.

You win.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - all good reasons especially 4, which I will from now on refer to as 2.  I think every runner has had uncomfortable experiences around number 2, and for you to have a condition making this far more frequent is a very good reason to get a treadmill.  That calculation of how far to get to a bathroom, to adjusting to looking for anywhere at least semi-private to....

Also, terrible to be concerned about safety and the possibility of compulsory outdoor mask use.

JMac - Agree completely on ideal weather conditions being different depending on the type of run.  2C in calm conditions is my sweet spot for racing.  20C is nice for recovery and bearable for evening workouts of 60-70 minutes.  For a long run workout on a weekend morning 9am or later with the sun high, I'd prefer 10C.  For these reasons I'm not too worried (yet) about marathon training throughout summer - most of my pacing will be slow or MP which I can manage in the heat (to a point obviously).

CK - Nice week, looks like you'll be cranking out the mileage records around here again soon.

me - Still very sore and not enjoying even recovery pace but I know that will be helping me.  It's probably equal to my first ever race and just slightly worse than Queenstown 3 years ago - I figured that was because I ran with a cold which turned into a throat infection after the race but must have also been due to the Queenstown course, which was minus the brutal hill in 2017.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

darkwave - all good reasons especially 4, which I will from now on refer to as 2.  I think every runner has had uncomfortable experiences around number 2, and for you to have a condition making this far more frequent is a very good reason to get a treadmill.  That calculation of how far to get to a bathroom, to adjusting to looking for anywhere at least semi-private to....

Heh, this was me a couple days ago.  I tried an amino acid supplement (NAC) which, amongst other things, is supposed to help mitigate some of the adverse effects of antibiotics - albeit I was probably a bit late on it.  One of the side effects can be a slightly upset stomach and... yep.

Somehow I managed to develop some more nasal congestion at the start of the week (I blame the 3 year old importing it from daycare), but it seems to be clearing up just in time.  Yet another reason just to run Saturday on feel.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Easy runs: 70s and dry

Long runs: 60s and dry

5K/10K races: 50s

Half/Full: 40s

Add about 5 degrees F to each category for me, except that I like 5K/10K races (and speedwork) 10-20 degrees warmer.  I get loose and ready to run fast much easier when it's warm.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Mark weather looking good at this stage light southwest winds which will help keep things cool temps 11c to 22c so hopefully you are done before it gets to the high. Today is muggy as the sun sucks out the rain we have had.

Southwest is fairly sheltered along Marine Parade and Oceanbeach rd. Only an issue at Pilot Bay where you are fully exposed. I will catch you at the start or prizegiving.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Sounds good Piwi.  We are staying in Papamoa so nice and handy to you for a recovery run on Sunday too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

James - I agree warm speed work is good, hard to do in the winter, but 80+ and humid is rough no matter what you're doing.

Question for the group - I have two weather choices for my TT. I can run one day with stronger winds (10-15 mph), but it'll be a crosswind. The alternative is a lighter win (around 5 mph), but it will be a headwind the second half of the race. I am leaning towards the crosswind choice because it's not THAT windy, but curious what you would do.

Marky_Mark_17

Could you flip the course around so it was a tailwind for the second half?

If not, I would take the crosswind option.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

5 mph is very light so I would go with that option. 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Does 5mph even count as wind?  I'd definitely go with that.

Good luck mark and piwi.  Hope you get an enjoyable day and nice beer afterwards.  I've got TBD for both your goals, have you decided on any target?  Mostly asking piwi because I think mark would be better off relaxing and enjoying it rather than gunning for a target.

2024 Races:

Steve im kinda bit ho hum about the 10k and haven't been getting nervous or excited. Round the Mount always kills a good time so im just going to see how it goes. Temperature will play a role. This morning it was 17c at 5.30am and 20c by 10am. Tomorrow will be similar i think.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yep, I can't imagine anyone but an experienced trail runner keeping their pace around that Mount track.  So start time is 8:15am?  Not ideal at this time of the year but you should be well finished by 9am so hopefully not too scorching.

2024 Races: