Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Yeah finished before Mark for once 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I felt pretty average this morning so have lowered my already low expectations even further for tomorrow! Just going to cruise and try and enjoy it. I’ve never run the Mount base track but it sounds like that will be a slog to finish the race which will be even more miserable if you’re blowing up at that point!

Piwi the forecast says 14C at 8am and 18C by 10am but I’m guessing it’s going to feel quite a bit warmer than that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark yeah they said the same about today but it ended up warmer. I'm telling myself I'm just going out for a tempo run tomorrow to try and fool myself 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

My mate Dave Parsons is doing the half. He’s usually around 1:10-12 but is coming off a year of injury and illness. So probably in the same boat as Mark...I expect competitiveness to kick in

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - good luck on the time trial!

Darkwave - Ah, I can see you’re vice-president of your own home, like myself and Piwi

Mark/Piwi - enjoy the race guys, if it's anything above 15 I guess just run a tempo run then speed it up the last 2k for fun. I'm disappointed by the lack of weather updates from Mark, he knows the exact minutes of the day the weather refreshes LOL.

me - the small piece of plastic in the the watch where the strap pins has somehow broken today, now it can't hold the strap anymore. I'll probably have to glue it, but I'm lazy and not very good at tasks requiring fine motor control. Wish me luck

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Good luck Flavio. That happened to my last watch. It turns out the glue held just fine but I used it as an excuse and ordered my new watch before the glue had set. Now my son has a gps watch =)

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

To revisit an older topic with a slight twist which coaches have you guys used, what do you think of them and do any of them deal with triathletes? I'm primarily a runner but would like to do a couple sprints next year so someone who can give me a little bit of advice on the crosstraining would be nice, especially if they know anything at all about swim form. I'm considering two separate coaches but I'm not sure.

I'm starting my taper today.. and trying to figure out how much to taper. My general rule is that the more you do the bigger the taper, but while I peaked at 60 miles/week that was literally 1 week and I only have 8 weeks of rebuilding as weeks 10-11 were dealing with a knee injury (5 mi total). I'm only averaging 35 miles/week over the last 12.  My current inclination is to replace Saturday's long run with 75 minutes and just cut 5 minutes off Fri/Sun easy runs. Next week can go something like 8-7-6-5-4-race with strides and short HME pace work. I'm overthinking this, as is my wont.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Congrats piwi and Mark for very solid races and both first place in their age categories

2024 Races:

Hey guys just back from my 10k.

Went pretty good. I didn't die for the cause today but paced myself fairly well as it was warm and windy.

In the first km i settled into the first dozen or so runners. A little kid went out fast and I was thinking he would pull up after a km or so but he ended up beating me by about 10 secs 😃 He was actually 13 but quite small.

Anyway I ran the first 3kms with the first Lady ( not Joe Biden's wife ) and a 54 year old guy John who I know and used to be a 30 min flat 10k guy in his 30s.

After 4kms I started gapping them. I was feeling pretty comfortable holding my pace to 3.55/km.

Last week I did 6kms at 3.50 pace in training so I knew my fitness was good for that under the right conditions but today was warm and windy and we had the Mount base track to come.

About 5kms in we went past the half runners. I spotted Mark and gave him a high 5.

I caught another guy soon after who is on my strava and I knew would blow up.

Down Pilot Bay and back to the Mount base track. I caught up to the little kid here whose Dad was biking with him but had to leave him as no bikes around the Mount track.

The kid gave me encouragement and I told him to use the downhills which he did and gapped me 

Anyway I checked and no one behind me so tempo run effort to finish around the Mount base track which unfortunately is 4.20ish pace.

Sprint down and over the finish in just under 40 but of course it was short at 9.86kms 

Pretty sure I won the 50 to 59 age group.

I jogged 2kms back to my van hoping to see the half runners come through.

1st runner appears and its Matt Baxter who ran for NAU last year. Wow what amazing pace. Steve informs me he finished in 1.05. 2nd place I see another dude about 5 mins back then a real fast lady.

Eventually I see Mark in about 10th.

I yell out some encouragement then head home for a shower.

Prize giving at 12pm so will head back down then.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Great work piwi.  That kid was Macka Wagstaff and did 39:25 in the 10-15 age group   Sounds like a cool kid too, taking the time to encourage someone.  Cool to think of two forumites high fiving mid race!

Mark through in 1:20:08 so looks like a solid tempo run by his standards.  His old foe Chris Trent finished just over a minute ahead of him, nice work mark on not getting tempted!

My mate Dave had a DNF, was going about 1:20 pace until 7km but his troublesome calf tightened up so he didn't risk it.  He's had a tough few months.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Was a fun day out. Course was definitely short for the half but 1:05 is still crazy quick with the mount base track at the end.

I ran probably a 90-95% effort - just wanted to go out and enjoy it. Hit a good rhythm and felt comfortable and didn’t push it. Had another 2-3km in me easily! Endurance is still great but just haven’t quite got the speed back in my legs yet. I almost thought I’d run Chris down like I did 3 or 4 times in the half marathon series a few years back, he went out at more like 1:15-pace but faded quite badly. I did pick off 3 or 4 guys over the second half of the race, wind was nasty in a couple of places, Mt base track hard to finish at the end too, so pretty pleased with that, was the 1st 30+ too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

5k PR time trial today. Goal was 6:25 pace. Started out too fast (saw some sub 5 minute paces) so I had to pull it back about six times in the first 1/3 mile. Felt too easy for the first mile and I had to keep telling myself I had a long way to go. Before halfway I was wondering if I had it in me, and just told myself I wasn't going to quit this time. AT mile 2.1 (slightly after 3,200m for those using the Metric system) I had two wild mustangs get spooked. They were standing off of the running path (yeah I run with horses sometimes) and as I approached them it spooked them, they decided to do an abrupt U turn, and I was REALLY not going to stop at that point. I'm sure it scared the people trying to take photos of them right behind me. From 2.25 to 3 was a grind because the heart rate was 180+ and it was going to be (I told myself) 10 minutes. I don't even think I had enough energy to kick after 3.0 and I ran until the GPS read 3.12 since it is a time trial and I can pick the distance. I probably could have kept going for the full 20 minutes and made it a REAL 5k measuring 3.25 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4398428573

30 second "PR" for the year and lifetime. I started going after a sub 20 2 or 3 years ago. Now that I'm here I feel like too much of a slacker bum to be with what I consider REAL runners/racers. I think the 34 second PR equates to a 4% difference and it's probably due to the shoes. These have 150 miles on them and are just about worn out because I drag my heel and wear down one spot in them.

Piwi 4:20/km!?!!?!?! NICE! Hopefully I'm that fast when I'm in my 50s.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Nice one Brew, that’s awesome.

piwi averaged 4:03 for his 10km, crazy fast for any age let alone an old boy like him 

2024 Races:

RP congrats hopefully that gives you more confidence in your ability. I've added you to my strava.

I think on a flat course in cool conditions I could run 3.50/km but until I prove it its just hearsay 

Steve I saw your mate Dave Parsons but haven't introduced myself to him yet. Bummer about his calf.

Just went down to prizegiving and saw Mark. Planning on a pre work Monday jog with him as im fishing tomorrow.

Race headquarters

Yeah we live in a nice place 

zebano

Piwi, stellar race, its amazing what some 13 year olds can do.

Mark, good tempo, way to keep the ego in check.

RP amazing job breaking 20 for the first time solo! Were you faster than the horses?