Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - It looks like the weather will be unbearably hot.

Remember you’re a Kiwi, anything above 15c is unbearably hot.

The grass will not be faster. Even if it’s dry it won’t be as flat/smooth as the tarmac, you will need to adjust to the varying terrain and that will take a few seconds per K.

I notice that frequently comparing when I run at the local park versus the bike lane.

I say you’re going to run a 42. Look on the bright side, you won’t tire as much.

Since you’re not going for a PR, I’d recommend you start more conservative around 22:30 for 5K then put the hammer down speeding up a bit each KM.

Finish all out.

But remember, if there’s a guy with dyed hair, throw the plan out of the window and run faster than him.

You cannot lose to a guy with dyed hair.

DPS - Please tell us it’s a spreadsheet and not a word document.

Keen - The people from Wales also think they don’t have an accent haha.

Given English is not my mother tongue, the western accents are far easier to understand (think Californian surfer), it might be due to Hollywood.

I can tell you that watching Game of Thrones was an adventure (what with the accent soup).

Mrakers - that workout indeed shows some good signs, you need a 3:48 per K for a sub 19, you’ve got 3:45 and under.

Now you need the weather to collaborate and hopefully somebody at a similar pace that you can chase over the last mile which is the harder part.

Kcam - congrats on showing restraint and running it at tempo pace. I know I couldn’t.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Go away with you and your "unbearably hot" mocking.  It's only when it gets to 18c that it is unbearable.

Interesting that you've gone the most conservative, most unlike you!  While it's not a goal race, it should be a PR since my only other 10km was 44:44 when I was sick.  Or do I have to count my best 10km even if within another race?  In my half-marathon PR, the time for the last 10km was 41:48.  If I count that as my PR, it may be a close run thing.  But it seems only fair I get to do a Mark or JMac and crush a PR at least once in my life.

The 5km and 10km start at the same time so if the guy with dyed hair is in the 5km, obviously I'll still need to beat him then limp home on the second lap.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

-If your state's main university is in a conference that gets a team into the playoff, where it wins, you're probably in the Southeast.  Right, Corey?  

James I would agree with that.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

I was looking for another 50 mile week last week but I lost two big mileage days on Saturday and Sunday, I will loose today an maybe tomorrow as well due to the flu.  I feel like crap, like I've been beaten with a bat around my ribs and back

I hope this doesn't set me back too much I thought I was just starting to make some progress with mileage.

Mon  13.2

Tue   off

Wed  6.1

Thur  5

Fri     Off

Sat   Sick

Sun  Sick

Total 24.3

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

My Week

M 4.3

T 6.83 easy

W: 12x400 m 88-91 seconds. Last one is 82 seconds.

Th: 7.83

F: 6.5 for Chinese New Year (The Year of the Rat)/

Sa 8x200m Intervals. Pretty sure they were all about 40 seconds and I was doing about 1:30 recovery. Probably too fast because after 8 I didn't think I'd be able to do 16-20 total. JD says I should be doing these around 40 seconds from what I remember thinking on the day of the run. Runs ended up being about 0.13-0.15 miles. Saw a coworker on the run. twice. Also people with multiple dogs taking up the entire multi use path. They were a little more prepared for me to be running 10-12 mph past them the second time. It was kind of awesome to run this fast.

Su 8 miles. Didn't start the watch in time. Truck wouldn't start. Jeep had no brakes. Life was throwing me a middle finger after no sleeping more than 6ish hours max. Oh well. Training is out there waiting for you.

I've just kind of lost desire to race currently. Lost the desire for PRs even though I'm capable of getting them. Maybe even an overall win if the fast guys don't show up or race a different distance. I almost just want to find another hobby, or just go to pace more runs. Maybe it's just today. I'm just not really concerned much with running or training even though I think it was smart for someone to suggest I just pick a workout and do it. The I paced work was definitely faster than I've ever run myself. Based on the weekly mileage I should have done another 8x200 according to the book. Definitely would have regretted going too fast if I'd have known there was another 8 on deck on Saturday. I might be able to stick with Saturday afternoon speed work. Seemed to be a good day to do I paced work because no one else was around to run with me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

DPS - Please tell us it’s a spreadsheet and not a word document.

It is a spreadsheet.  I'm not a sociopath.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Jmac is pregnant? I thought I saw some comment on Strava to that effect. Congratulations. Be careful and dont end up with 4....get it chopped before that happens 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

We are indeed expecting. I've decided that Boston is my swan song, and I want to go out with a bang. The goal is 2:33:20 for a moose mug, although we're arguing whether I'm forced to actually run 2:32:59 in order to officially get it, which seems dumb to me. Anyway, I've been feeling slightly burned out lately and so this put the final nail in the coffin. I can't do the Mark wake up at 4 am special every day to get a run in.  I don't know what races I'll run after the child is born, but marathons are out for a long time. The time suck is just too much. I really like the Piwi style of just staying healthy and enjoying other activities (which for me would be golf). I've been at this more 'competitive' stage of running for 5 years now, so I feel like I've given it a lot. I also know that I'm reaching my potential. Of course, if I ran 120 MPW, maybe I could get down into the mid 2:20s, but that just isn't worth it to me: I'd only run that much if I believed I had a shot at an OTQ here in the US, which is 2:18:59.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Congrats once again. I do think you'll surprise yourself with what you can do with having a kiddo. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but once some semblance of routine and schedule sets in there will be more "free" time than you probably think right now.

Best of luck in the pursuit of the Moose Mug. That'll be a fun one to track.

Is anyone else not seeing their runs import after yesterday's server move?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

Keen - I'm also not seeing my files import =(

Sounds like lots of people have some form of training blues. The desire to race comes and goes, but my advice is to try and just maintain a healthy lifestyle so that when/if it does return you're not starting from 0. Alternatively change things up. Go from marathon training to the mile, try some trail races or even ultras I personally find those way more enjoyable than road races. I seem to be leaning towards sprint triathalons right now.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - massive congrats to you and your wife!  That's awesome news.

Honestly the time suck thing with kids is not that bad (at least if you only have one!).  The only reason I was doing the 4am thing last year was because my wife had to work.  Definitely a bit of adjustment over the first few months while they are little, but once they are sleeping through the night it's a game-changer.

Zebano - yeah the last Wings Stanley Cup was not that long ago but it seems like forever.  A bunch of crappy deals by Ken Holland and not replacing guys like Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk has really cost us.

Steve - good luck!! Looks like it's been warm at home.  Some of my Auckland friends were complaining about 21C and 99% humidity at 5am on Strava the other day.

Watson - bummer on the hamstring (still).

Sorry everyone else if I've missed anything.  Current schedule is run, snowboard, drink, eat, sleep, repeat.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

What is wrong with a table in Microsoft word? It's good enough for the marathon thread.

JMac Around 6 months they can typically sit up so you're able to take them in a running stroller. My son seriously fell asleep about 10 minutes in to a run and my first run with him was a 2 hour one. It worked great for getting to my 7am group runs. He'd have a morning nap (5am wake up calls) after breakfast and I could get my marathon long runs in. It is just a balancing act. I'm not saying you HAVE to stick with marathons. You'll just find a way. Heck, my kid had been on 8 plane flights before we took off to Chicago. Flew to Hawaii with him at 3 months old so if you have some questions about flying just ask. Downside for you is 6 months is winter so pushing a stroller in snow can get rough.

I did 4am runs because I wanted to get lots of easy miles in to reach the 70 a week without changing much at work, and the afternoon heat was miserable. I'd rather go to bed early (9pm is me partying) than run in TDP 130+. Fortunately for me it also means less cars however I'm not sure Central Park is ever really "unpopular" during summer having never been there myself.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I agree with Zebano if you can do a bit of running you will keep a nice fitness to be able to get serious again. I haven't put on much weight since dropping to 40 kms per week.

Jmac isn't Moosemug criteria clear ? 2 hour and age so for a 33 year old Male its 2.32.59 or faster ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac isn't Moosemug criteria clear ? 2 hour and age so for a 33 year old Male its 2.32.59 or faster ?

Yeah I was arguing age isn't an integer, it's a continuous number, so my true age is 2:33:20 on race day, but I gave up because people on this forum refuse to believe in anything but integers. So the official Boston goal is 2:32:59.

I do understand I will need something to stay sane, and maybe it's still running. I just don't think it's marathon running with cycles that peak at 80+ MPW. I like the idea of running 5K-Half, which only require 40-60 mpw. Much more reasonable.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

JMac - congratulations.

As Mark mentioned, on Monday I injured my hamstring again.  It was a 5k easy there and back - injured it 2.6km in, so hobbled the 2.4km back.  Not as bad as the original occurance.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25