Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac - Obviously our thread will dominate the other one with our known superiority!

Jokes apart, when the threads go back to full speed I agree that for a lot of folks it will be hard to follow.

The "other one" must exist for you to dominate it. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP - Definitely keen for you to be part of this thread.  You can probably add more in some areas than anyone else - you went from a marathon finisher to a sub 3 hour runner which takes some doing.  Plenty here, including our more elite club runners, could no doubt learn a lot from your journey.  I'm building towards my first marathon in April and I'm targeting sub 3:20 but I'll probably just post in this thread.  I think I prefer the half (I guess I'm about to find out for sure) and after the marathon I only have half races planned for the foreseeable future.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - start easy. There’s a thread about strength training in this forum with very good advice (standing/single leg exercises etc).

It could be as easy as 10 minutes of single leg and core exercises 3x a week. Do that for a while until the habit kicks in.

Then expand.

Strength training is truly the answer to a lot of questions runners ask.

Thread is here -> https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/7a97b6c2164141848a6a120e0cf22fd2/resume#focus

Piwi - sorry to hear about the dog attack. My blood boils when I heard those stories, I think certain pet owners should be outright shot.

Nathan Jones - thanks for being an active user in this thread.

me - I also nominate Keen as thread master.My only concern is that he'll institute the rule that anybody running less than 60 miles a week should dress as Gaga.

In other news, completely failed workout earlier today. Just didn't have the legs, that long run on Sunday really took it out of me.

I'll take a day off tomorrow (including no strength training) and see how I fare on Thursday, but prepared to take 2 days off if needed.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

RP - Definitely keen for you to be part of this thread.  You can probably add more in some areas than anyone else - you went from a marathon finisher to a sub 3 hour runner which takes some doing.  Plenty here, including our more elite club runners, could no doubt learn a lot from your journey.  I'm building towards my first marathon in April and I'm targeting sub 3:20 but I'll probably just post in this thread.  I think I prefer the half (I guess I'm about to find out for sure) and after the marathon I only have half races planned for the foreseeable future.

Uh-oh. Steve, I might be reading too much into this but  thinking that before starting marathon training is not a great sign. I'm firmly of the opinion that one should only marathon train if one is keen to do so. It is just too much of a slog otherwise.

Flavio -  Thanks for the advice , I've started and stopped strength training so often it should be a joke. I just don't love it the way I love running and to a lesser extent cycling / swimming so I stop it way too easily. I can still do a couple pistols so my leg strength really isn't gone but the 4x5 pullups I had worked up to might be. =)  What workout did you fail?

I'm a dog lover, but ugg owners need to be responsible. Sorry to hear that Piwi

RP - How do you feel about pink jackets?

Mark - I too love snow running, just not for anything competitive. It feels like an adventure and is beautiful and I oddly like the sound of snow crunching. Ice and wind are another matter.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Listen to JMac and Darkwave's advice.

Follow Hanson's Advanced Marathon training plan ()

Run CIM.

Follow me for more Marathon advice. Comment below, hit that notification bell, and check out my profile for a link to my onlyfans Patreon site.

zebano same way I feel about pink anything. It makes you faster/better. If orange truly was faster Nike wouldn't have pink on their shoes.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Hey now, I came along from RWOL (sub-90 and sub-3:20 threads)! Granted I don't think I spoke up nearly so much back then.

RP - You flatter me! One of these years I'll get out west to run See-Aye-Emm. Current situations look a bit unstable to allow for planning a big cross-country trip a year in advance. Maybe we can have some family toddler/little kid races, too.

Hmm, possibility of a mileage-based Gaga rule... 

Haha, it's snowing again! This really doesn't happen that often here, and I'm really enjoying it and the fact that the temp here may not break the freezing point for nearly two more days! Stew has been cooking since early this morning.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - You flatter me! One of these years I'll get out west to run See-Aye-Emm. Current situations look a bit unstable to allow for planning a big cross-country trip a year in advance. Maybe we can have some family toddler/little kid races, too.

Hmm, possibility of a mileage-based Gaga rule... 

Skip it. It is too easy of a marathon. Downhill with ideal weather and all those other things. Pick a REAL marathon like Boston or Grandma's. CIM is practically one step from being a Revel/Jack and Jill marathon. Its how I got my sub 3 after just 3 attempts at that course. PR'd every time too.

You make that lady gaga rule and I'm flying to Oklahoma to find you and sabotage your training to 40 miles a week. Poor JMac's old man body can't take the high mileage weeks like you can. He's young in the Dad strength years.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Uh-oh. Steve, I might be reading too much into this but  thinking that before starting marathon training is not a great sign. I'm firmly of the opinion that one should only marathon train if one is keen to do so. It is just too much of a slog otherwise.

Oh I'm very keen and excited for it - I'm just guessing what I think my favourite distance is.  There's a chance I'll do this and make it my preferred distance.

On that note, and this is something JMac has pulled me up for on Strava recently, my "easy" pace has started creeping up which it tends to do when I'm fit and feeling good which, given I'm already 500+km ahead of my previous volume record, is not surprising right now.  My mid-week easy run of 14km had a pace of 4:45/km.  My goal time for the marathon is sub 3:20 which is 4:40/km.  Obviously in the long runs my easy pace will drop significantly, and I think now might be the time to be more disciplined about it.  There is the argument that I'm being ultra-conservative with my goal but I'm okay with that, heading into the unknown.

I think as I head into 20+km long runs, I need to be around 5-5:15/km or slower.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Skip it. It is too easy of a marathon. Downhill with ideal weather and all those other things. Pick a REAL marathon like Boston or Grandma's. CIM is practically one step from being a Revel/Jack and Jill marathon. Its how I got my sub 3 after just 3 attempts at that course. PR'd every time too.

Jumping in to comment that:

a) having run all three (and both CIM and Grandma's twice), Grandma's is a much easier course than CIM.  No contest.  I consider it slightly faster too.  It just doesn't have as reliable weather as CIM.

b) Boston has much more of a net drop than CIM.  Boston is 3.23 meters per kilometer; CIM is 2.45 meters per kilometer.

Interesting factoid - the Peachtree 10K in Atlanta in the US (considered a tough 10K course by some) has a net drop of 3.3 meters per kilometer.  So...more drop than even Boston.

Piwi - thinking good thoughts for your cat.

And just to summarize the obvious, it seems that my suggestion for one training thread to rule them all was shot down.

Re: Fluffy = definite term of endearment - I love running on treadmills and train outside only because I race outside (and because I didn't have a treadmill until now).

I'm debating buying Fluffy a pink collar with the name on it, to buckle around one of the rails.  Maybe too much?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

easy runs - I finally did the math.  My easy pace is between 5:25/5:45 a kilometer.

I'm so glad I know this now so I can understand these conversations.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - sorry, I couldn't quite remember who joined when.  You were definitely one of the old-school members regardless!

Zebano - there's something cool about hearing just the crunch of the snow and it being otherwise quiet.  Ice is horrible though.  When I was running out around Sun Peaks when we were on holiday, my favourite spot was an area under development because it was totally quiet with no cars or anything.  You'd do this big slog up the hill and then it was just... quiet.  It was awesome.

Steve - I would say don't get too hung up on a time goal for your first marathon.  I mean, it's good to have one, and that's the pace you should train for, but I wouldn't get too obsessed with the actual goal.  The marathon is a whole different ball game and the race only really starts around 34-35km mark.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jumping in to comment that:

a) having run all three (and both CIM and Grandma's twice), Grandma's is a much easier course than CIM.  No contest.  I consider it slightly faster too.  It just doesn't have as reliable weather as CIM.

b) Boston has much more of a net drop than CIM.  Boston is 3.23 meters per kilometer; CIM is 2.45 meters per kilometer.

Interesting factoid - the Peachtree 10K in Atlanta in the US (considered a tough 10K course by some) has a net drop of 3.3 meters per kilometer.  So...more drop than even Boston.

Piwi - thinking good thoughts for your cat.

And just to summarize the obvious, it seems that my suggestion for one training thread to rule them all was shot down.

Re: Fluffy = definite term of endearment - I love running on treadmills and train outside only because I race outside (and because I didn't have a treadmill until now).

I'm debating buying Fluffy a pink collar with the name on it, to buckle around one of the rails.  Maybe too much?

I was all about the one training thread. Turns out the sub 1:30 OG shot callers handled it for us thinking outside the established norms.

Why pink? Sticking with the "shrink it and pink it" approach?

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

I was all about the one training thread. Turns out the sub 1:30 OG shot callers handled it for us thinking outside the established norms.

For a number of logical reasons that were quite clearly articulated, not because you thought outside the established norms Wink

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Darkwave thanks for the cat thoughts. She seems like she is improving. At least we have her home.

Steve I always put alot of pressure on myself when marathon training like it had to be sub 3 or I had failed. Somehow I nailed 2 out of 2 but I did abort some cycles usually the summer training ones starting in January when its too hot for big mileage.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

For a number of logical reasons that were quite clearly articulated, not because you thought outside the established norms Wink

Like I said....the OG shot callers handed down their decision. Status quo shall remain. 

VDOT 53.37