Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

I'm proud of Mark for his reduced pace 

I have no trouble running slow. There are alot of local runners on my strava that don't seem to have any recovery pace days. 5.30/km has always been about right for me even when I was sub 3.

Also for me starting slow and warming into a run is a natural progression and helps prevent injury. I don't go out the door and hit 4.30/km and hold even.  I could but it would be forced.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

What about the Richard Simmons outfit? man, now I feel embarrassed.

Also Mark 4:37/km recovery lol

OK but it used to be like 4:20/km!

Totally with Piwi on the progression too and warming up into it too.  Trying to pick it up too quickly in the first couple of km just feels forced.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

The recovery run pace rule is a max pace relative to race pace. Going too fast on the recovery involves everyone telling the poster that s/he doesn't know what they are doing.

2021 is going to be tough for Mark!

As long as that max pace is set by darkwave and we keep it around the 8:30-9:30/mi range I'm good.

Nothing like a miserable workout to end the day.

4x1200 (4:37, 4:42, 4:52, pulled the plug at 1:18 because I was doing a 6:51 pace and the pace I was aiming for was around 4:38/km and I was at 5:05/km showing signs of mental weakness, abdominal discomfort, and the point of the workout wasn't to be miserable. It was VO2 max. Maybe I did that by maintaining a 175 heart rate for those three intervals. Maybe I should start the 5k training over. I couldn't even maintain 5k PR pace after the first 1,200m.

Mark for clarificaiton...my reference to being an OG shot caller had more to do with the forum moderators saying (pretty much) the forum was great until RWOL shut down and this new crowd came in and had attitudes. I wouldn't want to start some kind of "animosity" between America and the islands again. I think cal or slammin had something like that go on for years (before my time officially) that just always seemed offsetting.

randomly....sold my bass guitar with amp, stand and case today for $100 to a guy about to retire. I started playing probably 20 years ago, and hadn't played it in probably 8. I spend a LOT of time on Craigslist and saw someone looking to spend $100 on a bass. Poor soul didn't know I'd have given it to him if he asked kindly. $100 more towards a treadmill boston marathon jeep parts.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RP - FWIW I think 1200s are very hard workouts, if done at Jack Daniels pace, for those at our level of ability.  JD says no more than 5 minutes at VO2 Max pace, and you were bumping up against that.

I do think some accommodation needs to be made for the fact that you are training at altitude.  I don't have any suggestions off hand, but if you have time, I would go read up on Mike Smith and how he trains athletes in Arizona at altitude.

(aside, Mike Smith is one of the great coaches of our generation - dude really needs to write a book)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah I get the altitude thing and the 5 minutes was damn near seconds after I finished. I guess just doing the PR at elevation I expected to be able to train at elevation. It might have just been one of those ones workout doesn’t ruin the entire training block’ kinda days. Might have been eating lunch an hour before (chicken and veggies) because the legs felt just fine. It was just the 175 heart rate that’s usually top end. Pulled the plug and lived to run another day. Definitely was NOT the weather.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Definitely was NOT the weather.

Oh boy where's the Chief Weather Complainer when you need him...

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

RP i think vo2max stuff is best done on an empty stomach or with minimal food.

zebano

RP - I'll be the fourth one to echo that VO2 work is hard stuff.

DW  thanks for dropping the Mike Smith name. The reading up on him has been very interesting and he has two interviews in the "On Coaching" podcast. I'm only partway through the first one but it's very interesting how he is very cautious about what language he uses. He tries hard not to reward outcomes but instead reward processes. Cool stuff.

* Episode 59

* Episode 61

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Re: Mike Smith - here's a Letsrun poster's summary of his training at NAU.    Bolded the most relevant parts.

Core Principles
                    High mileage - basically as much as you can handle. It seems to be I individualized though to what you can manage. Based on podcasts and interviews, it sounds like Day and Baxter were up around 110-120 last year, while others were 80-90.

They lift on Mon/Wed. Not sure what but I believe heavy weight low rep. They also do a ton of supplemental flexibility and strength and mobility. They do a five isolated stretching before every run.

High end aerobic focus
                    Lots of mileage and sub threshold running, and their speed work is in short chunks of 200-400m. I believe this to be because of the altitude they’re at. It’s more manageable this way. A traditional XC workout for them is 4x6x300 at around 3-5k pace, with #4,6 faster. Short rest between and a few minutes between sets.

I know all summer they basically alternate each week with a 4-8 mile sub threshold run / 10-15x1:00 on/off. And Fridays are 8x20sec Hill sprints as part of their run. And they run long on Saturdays right after Friday workouts. Doubles Mon, tue, Thur, fri. Medium long on Wednesday and single on Sunday.

A lot of their mileage is done very slow actually due to altitude. But they pick and choose when to hammer certain runs. I think their workout the week of Nuttycombe this week was simple 10x1:00 on/off and 4x200.

A typical week in season would be like this:
                    Mon: Mileage run in the morning / Easy double in the afternoon with lifting, strides, mobility, etc.
                    TUE: Workout...threshold or SUB T, maybe short reps. Double up as well.
                    WED: medium long run - 16 for the top guys
                    THUR: double easy runs again...in the afternoon they do 10-15 sec hill sprints on the treadmill, set at 15 percent, 10-11mph.
                    FRI: Second workout of the week...opposite of Tuesday, or sometimes they do harder V02 work later in the season.
                    SAT: long run...18-20 miles or so easy. Sometimes they’ll run this with sub threshold like 3x3 miles if they don’t have a hard workout the day before.
                    SUN: easy single run

He uses Daniels as the guide for paces, clearly, but doesn’t follow the training plans. Saw some crazy stuff in the track season like 40x400 and 16x1000 for the 5k/10k Guys.

Pretty cool to follow actually. Again, I have every day of their training for the last 2 years basically if you’d like more details.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh boy where's the Chief Weather Complainer when you need him...

Isn't he spending time with his daughter? Gave up competitive running to focus on his dad bod? I don't think you had the privlige/honor of reading elizabeth80b's race review of CIM where Cal and I met, I PR'd and JMac pr'd. She said it was not PR weather.

Piwi yeah I was thinking during/after "you know...if this was a normal year I'd do this before I at lunch." It MIGHT explain why the legs felt like they weren't the limiting factor. 175 is typically approaching a danger zone for me and probably had something to do with my body trying to digest food while working at max effort.

darkwave 4 by 6 by 300??? As opposed to 24x300? Local guys I consider elite just did 12X1:00on/off. All sub 3 runners...like 2:45 which is still mad crazy to me.

I'm loving all the emails about buying photos from races past.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

4:20 to 4:40 per km is REALLY easy for Mark, considering his marathon pace is sub 4 min/km.

RP - Today I learned a second fact about Reno. That it’s at a slight elevation, I’m not sure how much of an impact it has though at only 4500feet.

The first fact was that Johnny Cash shot a man there, just to watch him die 

So, I believe you should reconsider this training plan.

10x400R and 4x1200 are too tough for the first few weeks.

You’re running a 20 minute 5k which is 4 min per km (20 / 5 = 4).

4 minutes is 240 seconds for one 1km.

200m thus is 1/5 of that or 48 seconds. So 4:48 or slower should be the duration of each rep.

Your first and second rep were way too fast. It's unlikely that you can run at 5k PR pace now so soon after your time trial.

You're on the other side of the peak, it's more likely that you'd be off that pace for a few seconds, especially for a tough workout like the 4x1200.

12x400 would be a simpler workout this early in your training block.

Also ditto to what Piwi said, you should run these at least 3 hours after a meal, you don’t want to compete against your digestion system.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

4:20 to 4:40 per km is REALLY easy for Mark, considering his marathon pace is sub 4 min/km.

RP - Today I learned a second fact about Reno. That it’s at a slight elevation, I’m not sure how much of an impact it has though at only 4500feet.

The first fact was that Johnny Cash shot a man there, just to watch him die 

So, I believe you should reconsider this training plan.

10x400R and 4x1200 are too tough for the first few weeks.

You’re running a 20 minute 5k which is 4 min per km (20 / 5 = 4).

4 minutes is 240 seconds for one 1km.

200m thus is 1/5 of that or 48 seconds. So 4:48 or slower should be the duration of each rep.

Your first and second rep were way too fast. It's unlikely that you can run at 5k PR pace now so soon after your time trial.

You're on the other side of the peak, it's more likely that you'd be off that pace for a few seconds, especially for a tough workout like the 4x1200.

12x400 would be a simpler workout this early in your training block.

Also ditto to what Piwi said, you should run these at least 3 hours after a meal, you don’t want to compete against your digestion system.

Another fun fact. Dawn Wells is from here. She went to one of the better high schools too.

Intereseting math on the pace I should be doing the 1,200s at. I was using the Daniels Tables for a VDOT of 50 (19:57 5k) to base the workouts on. His math says 4:40 for a 1,200m Interval. So the first one was too fast (although, not really for a first one i don't PERSONALLY think), the second was acceptable (to me) then it fell apart. I was thinking I put something in wrong because the pace i had to run to finish a 1,200 based on his suggestion was FASTER and more like 3k pace. justified it by saying "it's work you look forward to ending."

I think the best option is it just start the whole 5k training block over, and not trying to jump into a workout as if I'd been doing the work the whole time. The workouts build on each other and without the foundation it's not going to turn out well. Eating or not. This means I don't have to do the 10 miles at a 4:31/km (7:17/mi for the confused) pace this weekend.

Thanks for the breakdown on the pace per kilometer. I never thought of doing it that way. MUCH easier way to break down repeats based off 5k time.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

RP - as someone who just completed the 5K JD plan, you have to be careful with a few things:

1) You CANNOT run the I paced workouts too fast. I've done that on generally the 2nd or 3rd rep, and then completely blown up.

2) 1200s are too much for your speed. JD generally prescribes them for people who can run around 4:00 or faster for them. At your pace, I would do 800s with 2 minute rest and 1000s with 3 minute rest. Stay away from the 1200s.

3) Stick with the VDOT paces. They work. But just build your way up in terms of reps. its one big change I make with his plans: I'll start with (if I were you) something like 6x800, 4x1K, 7x800, 5x1K, 6x1K. That's a good progression for a 4 week phase III plan.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Welcome to the new guy Jmac 

I found out that my sub 20 pacing duties are tomorrow 

They didn't state that when asking for volunteers. Anyway should be ok albeit at 10k effort.

Hoping the helium balloon im carrying doesn't cause too much drag 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

So long as we're talking about locally born famous people, Darla Hood from The Little Rascals was born in my tiny little hometown.

Piwi - Have fun pacing! The race I paced for a certain time goal (15k) I had a small sign. It wasn't too bad, but at least for the times when there was no one around me (almost the entire race) I could turn it profile into the wind to cut down on the drag. Tough to do that with a spherical baloon, though.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4