Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - Congratulations!  One suggestion that may help with traveling:  Have two or three stories that you often, and only, read to the kid at bedtime.  Having certain stories associated with going to sleep was a big help for us.  When our son was ages 1-4, we lived in Mozambique and had annual 29-hour trips back to the U.S.  When we wanted him to sleep on the plane or after we arrived in a new time zone, it didn't matter what time it was or whether the sun was shining, we would just whip out "Goodnight Moon" or "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," and he'd be out by the time I finished reading.  Most of the time it worked on DW too.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

What is wrong with a table in Microsoft word? It's good enough for the marathon thread.

Asked and answered.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - good luck!! Looks like it's been warm at home.  Some of my Auckland friends were complaining about 21C and 99% humidity at 5am on Strava the other day.

The forecast is now 34C and strong winds - so close to as bad as possible.  If it stays that way I guess I'll make some adjustments and be even more conservative.  Heat wouldn't bite as much in a 10km as a half or 2+ hour training run would it?

2024 Races:

kcam

JMac - Congratulations!  One suggestion that may help with traveling:  Have two or three stories that you often, and only, read to the kid at bedtime.  Having certain stories associated with going to sleep was a big help for us.  When our son was ages 1-4, we lived in Mozambique and had annual 29-hour trips back to the U.S.  When we wanted him to sleep on the plane or after we arrived in a new time zone, it didn't matter what time it was or whether the sun was shining, we would just whip out "Goodnight Moon" or "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," and he'd be out by the time I finished reading.  Most of the time it worked on DW too.

"Goodnight Moon"  Lol - that is one of the the go-to stories we read to our 2 year old grandson when it's time to take a nap or go to sleep.  He knews it by heart (so do we)!  Now that he's 3 we'll still read it but he likes certain Thomas the train stories for bed now, but they work as well.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Brewing- word doesn't have the ability to do complex equations..... And it has comic sans....it is the epitome of a dumpster fire. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

"Goodnight Moon"  Lol - that is one of the the go-to stories we read to our 2 year old grandson when it's time to take a nap or go to sleep.  He knews it by heart (so do we)!  Now that he's 3 we'll still read it but he likes certain Thomas the train stories for bed now, but they work as well.

Love the parenting tips I'm getting on RA. This community is great! Never would have thought of that, but makes complete sense.

Steve - what temp will the race be when you actually start? I assume 34 is the high temp. I will tell you those 5ks I ran this summer were all in 150 TDP or higher, and I was absolutely COOKING by the end of the race. Wind is actually an okay thing when it's hot as it keeps you cooler. I would say once you get to 150 TDP you can't race anything well outside of a mile.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - what temp will the race be when you actually start? I assume 34 is the high temp. I will tell you those 5ks I ran this summer were all in 150 TDP or higher, and I was absolutely COOKING by the end of the race. Wind is actually an okay thing when it's hot as it keeps you cooler. I would say once you get to 150 TDP you can't race anything well outside of a mile.

It won't be 34 by the start (8am) - the overnight low is 20C and the sun rises about 5am at the moment so it will be heading towards 25C with the sun high in the sky.  The wind will be a very warm nor-wester (well known to have a psychological impact in Christchurch).  The race is in Hagley Park, which as Mark pointed out, has great asphalt paths and hard dirt tracks everywhere and these are all under tree cover.  For some reason, this race is mostly on the grass at Hagley Park which is not under cover.  I really hope the forecast improves.  Tried to explain to my gf the frustration at the current forecast but she's not quite there "you did 25km at Hagley Park last Saturday in the same weather, this is only 10km".  When I explain that I wasn't racing the 25km, "you get too intense about races".  Luckily I have this forum Smile

Note:  Hagley Park is in central Christchurch and is reserved forever as a park.  It is 1.61 sq km, although split into North and South with a road running between the 2.  Central Park is 3.41 sq km by comparison.  Having run in both I'm actually surprised Central Park is more than twice the size - there must be corners I didn't find.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Kids Books and stuff Mother Bruce. I call it the ender. You pull that one out and it's the LAST, or only, book before bed. Santa Bruce, Hotel Bruce, 1 Grumpy Bruce (Lots of animals having fun...) are all good ones too. Oh and keeping baby wipes in the car is cool because they double as a "shower" when you're in a pinch after a run. I learned this from a trail runner and people don't ask why you have a roll of wipes in your car if you have a kid. Blue Scott shop towels too because they're thicker than the regular ones.

DPS Dumpster fire kind of describes my training. Also my stomach during some races.

JMac If you're lucky one of those weird people from the internet will send you a care package of Maurten gels and/or kid stuff. The awkward thing will be when you're looking at both wondering which one you're more excited about. A new book, or some snacks for training. Oh and make sure you threaten grandparents to drop the kid off after giving him "one of my gels I use for races" when they comment on loading the kid up with sugar. I have a few good photos of my son with gels in his hand/mouth because the cheap toys are the best ones.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

JMac If you're lucky one of those weird people from the internet will send you a care package of Maurten gels and/or kid stuff. The awkward thing will be when you're looking at both wondering which one you're more excited about. A new book, or some snacks for training. Oh and make sure you threaten grandparents to drop the kid off after giving him "one of my gels I use for races" when they comment on loading the kid up with sugar. I have a few good photos of my son with gels in his hand/mouth because the cheap toys are the best ones.

Pro parenting tip from the woman with no kids:

Do NOT give your kids the 100 mg caffeinated Maurtens right before bedtime.

You're welcome.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JamesD

JamesD

It won't be 34 by the start (8am) - the overnight low is 20C and the sun rises about 5am at the moment so it will be heading towards 25C with the sun high in the sky.  The wind will be a very warm nor-wester (well known to have a psychological impact in Christchurch).  The race is in Hagley Park, which as Mark pointed out, has great asphalt paths and hard dirt tracks everywhere and these are all under tree cover.  For some reason, this race is mostly on the grass at Hagley Park which is not under cover.  I really hope the forecast improves.  Tried to explain to my gf the frustration at the current forecast but she's not quite there "you did 25km at Hagley Park last Saturday in the same weather, this is only 10km".  When I explain that I wasn't racing the 25km, "you get too intense about races".  Luckily I have this forum Smile

Note:  Hagley Park is in central Christchurch and is reserved forever as a park.  It is 1.61 sq km, although split into North and South with a road running between the 2.  Central Park is 3.41 sq km by comparison.  Having run in both I'm actually surprised Central Park is more than twice the size - there must be corners I didn't find.

Weather Underground's hourly forecast for Christchurch predicts 72F at 8am and 74 at 9 (22-24 C).. Humidity will be around 53%, and TDP will be just under 130, so not impossible conditions for a 10K.  They also predict 70% cloud cover, which could be helpful, but lots of wind.

My just-made-up rule of thumb is that a warm temperature in a 10K will affect you about as much as a temperature 5C lower would affect you in a half.  My 10K last September was that warm with more humidity and I thought it wasn't bad, so adjusting for the fact that I like hot weather and you don't,.my guess is that you'll find it unpleasantly warm but not impossible.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

James - Yeah, I think you're right.  If I can get through it without too much suffering maybe it will be a warm weather confidence boost.  Hopefully everyone gets impacted the same, but I do have a history of completely falling to pieces in races when it's even slightly warm.

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather Underground's hourly forecast for Christchurch predicts 72F at 8am and 74 at 9 (22-24 C).. Humidity will be around 53%, and TDP will be just under 130, so not impossible conditions for a 10K.  They also predict 70% cloud cover, which could be helpful, but lots of wind.

This is what we need, more fact checkers! 130 TDP, although not perfect, has little impact on a 10K. I ran the Boston Marathon last year at 135 TDP, and it was fine until about mile 20. Granted, you will heat up quicker in a 10K, but I would not worry at all for any distance under a half. At most you will be impacted by about 10-15 seconds.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This is what we need, more fact checkers! 130 TDP, although not perfect, has little impact on a 10K. I ran the Boston Marathon last year at 135 TDP, and it was fine until about mile 20. Granted, you will heat up quicker in a 10K, but I would not worry at all for any distance under a half. At most you will be impacted by about 10-15 seconds.

You're assuming my hot weather adaptability is the same as yours.  I should be acclimatised though - my training has been all through summer, and Monday night was 30C when I ran and tonight is forecast to be about the same (although I always find evening heat to be easier to run in).  I do feel in great shape so ideally I can just not even think about it.  My gf did say one thing that I might listen to "if you let your brain ruin another race I'll yell at you".

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Pro parenting tip from the woman with no kids:

Do NOT give your kids the 100 mg caffeinated Maurtens right before bedtime.

You're welcome.

Correct.

Give them a GU, because it is cheaper and Maurtens are for race day. We don't waste those on kids.

Do it in the morning when you're in the car on the way to drop them off. By the time you get there Grandparents will be excited to see the kid and the gel will have kicked in about 10 minutes after you leave if you time it right.

It's an excellent revenge/threat for them dumping the kid on you right before bedtime and forgetting to tell you "oh yeah (gender) slept on the 40 minute drive over here so (gender) won't be going to bed for at least 2 or 3 hours from now." You know...because that wasn't important and it made the drive to YOUR house easy because the kid was finally quiet and your problem now. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - warm weather will impact a 10k, but a lot less than in a half marathon.  The low humidity will help.  The 10K I ran a couple of weeks ago was around 19-20C when I finished (with bright sun) and I feel like that only made a small difference (the fact I'd already run 75km that week made a much bigger difference).  As James pointed out, the lower humidity is a plus too.  It's definitely not ideal, but it could be a lot worse! (just think of the conditions JMac had for his 5km races...)

James/Brew - that is a great tip on bedtime stories.  We unfortunately made it difficult for ourselves a few months ago when we started making up stories with DD's favourite Paw Patrol characters.  There's no clear way back to regular stories now!

JMac - I do think having some running to keep you sane is a good idea.  Those first few months are a bit of a whirlwind but a tip some friends gave me - which I would 100% agree with - is that you and your wife both need to maintain some sort of time to yourselves just to keep yourselves sane.  My wife binge-watches Netflix.  For me it was running.

It wouldn't need to be marathon level volume, even just going for a cruise to clear the head.  On a recent Rogue Running podcast they gave the tip that even if you just keep a similar routine in terms of timing and frequency of runs (but reduced length and intensity), it's easy to then ramp back up again if you ever wanted to.

DW/Brew - so... that whole 'don't give the kid a gel' thing... I'd LOVE to know how you found that one out!  TBH I wouldn't give mine any sort of gel.  Spend enough money on those mini yogurt things she loves without wasting perfectly good gels.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"