Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

watsonc123

I have ran a couple of Half's in similar conditions to what Steve will have.  I was ok the first 10km, soon after the wheels fell off.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Steve cancel the 10k and get down to Sumner beach 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

The sea water will be less than 22 Celsius too.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

JMac,  congratulations!!!

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It wouldn't need to be marathon level volume, even just going for a cruise to clear the head.  On a recent Rogue Running podcast they gave the tip that even if you just keep a similar routine in terms of timing and frequency of runs (but reduced length and intensity), it's easy to then ramp back up again if you ever wanted to.

I do think this is where I'll end up. I just can't maintain this lifestyle where I'm running 70-80 MPW. I have no idea how Keen does it. Maybe he just doesn't need sleep? But my sleep needs are so high, which means once a baby comes, I'm going to be a broken man and running will not be possible. But I may just do it here and there, especially on weekends, to keep msyelf somewhat in touch of how to put one foot in front of the other.

Steve - you're definitely meeting your goal of complaining about weather. You'll be fine. Run the race, complain after. I say this as someone who complains about weather all the time with my races.

Weather Complaining - Is there a lower bound of temperatures where people start failing? I haven't run a race below 32F/0C, although I've sure done plenty of workouts in them. I'm not sure where my lower bound is where I start thinking I may need to adjust. My guess is something like below 20F.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

For me, ideal race temp is about 38-42F for me. I'm fine down to 32  but below that I quickly start slowing down.  It's really hard to get loose and stay loose & warm below 20F and so I struggle to do non-treadmill workouts in the winter.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Weather Complaining - Is there a lower bound of temperatures where people start failing? I haven't run a race below 32F/0C, although I've sure done plenty of workouts in them. I'm not sure where my lower bound is where I start thinking I may need to adjust. My guess is something like below 20F.

I find performance starts to suffer very slightly in the lower 30Fs.  Anything below 25F, and I am going to be significantly slowed.

I've raced a few times in the teens (F) and I've always been notably slowed, as has everyone else.  Time goals have to be put aside at that point.  Some of it is the resistance of extra clothing, some is that cold air usually means very dry air as well, which can trigger asthma.  But much of it is that when the body gets chilled, it diverts its resources and bloodflow to the core, away from the extremities, which means the extremities don't work as well.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I do think this is where I'll end up. I just can't maintain this lifestyle where I'm running 70-80 MPW. I have no idea how Keen does it. Maybe he just doesn't need sleep? But my sleep needs are so high, which means once a baby comes, I'm going to be a broken man and running will not be possible. But I may just do it here and there, especially on weekends, to keep msyelf somewhat in touch of how to put one foot in front of the other.

Steve - you're definitely meeting your goal of complaining about weather. You'll be fine. Run the race, complain after. I say this as someone who complains about weather all the time with my races.

It is called "dad strength" and you just figure it out. Also, apparently it is easier when you have more, and it is different when they're your own. Keen is a different kind of odd.

I'm pretty sure the lower bound of failing is personal and actual. Personal in the way of mentally you've lost the race because you think it is too cold. Actual in the way it's ACTUALLY going to matter if you're running a half marathon at 29F and compare it to 40s or your PR.  I've not remembered racing in 32F and there is a few local races where you're almost guaranteed below 32 with clear roads so you're just cold at the start. Boston when it was 30s and windy a local runner said his legs started to lock up towards the end and he went sub 3 easy. Singlet and shorts for him on that day and he is experienced enough with cold/wind/being fast I'm sure he started to fail.

I'm sure it is similar to complaining about it being hot, or windy. SO many times we discuss how hot it is and the inverse (cold) isn't ever discussed. Windy day for me would have RUINED a BQ attempt last April and I was prepared to bail on the race because of it. Hot day...oh well hopefully I'm done in time. Cold day.....crickets.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Darkwave, I'm sure clothing is a significant part of the slowing below freezing. Anecdotally my last 3 5k PRs have all been set between 25-30F with light to moderate wind. Each time, I've raced in half tights, singlet, arm warmers  and light gloves; the arm warmers are rolled down by the end of the first mile. Many people at that point are trying to race in tights, long sleeves and heavier upper body cover like vests, sweatshirts or a second layer get more common the slower the racers get.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

2 part question  which doesn't really apply to the Half Marathon portion of this thread =)

1. Do you have any mile training advice or plans you really like? It's not anything I've specifically trained for and a lot of the top google hits are 4 week plans when I have 90 days.

2. Any advice for modifying training due to winter weather? My nearby tracks are all covered in snow and I would have to drive 50 minutes to get to an indoor track. Treadmills are available but it's hard to really sprint or do short intervals on them. I've been scouring neighborhoods and I've found 3 hills that get cleared really well of snow & ice that I can use for short hill sprints (<10 seconds) but beyond that I'm going to have to play things by ear.

3. Given that I just essentially took 3 weeks off and only cross trained, how much do I prioritize standard training components like tempo runs, and long runs or even VO2 which I usually only throw in when peaking for a race versus how much do I focus on race effort, or intervals that are slightly faster (or slower)?

4. It's going to be 40F this Sunday!!! That means I get to do a time trial on reasonably clear sidewalks!!!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave, I'm sure clothing is a significant part of the slowing below freezing. Anecdotally my last 3 5k PRs have all been set between 25-30F with light to moderate wind. Each time, I've raced in half tights, singlet, arm warmers  and light gloves; the arm warmers are rolled down by the end of the first mile. Many people at that point are trying to race in tights, long sleeves and heavier upper body cover like vests, sweatshirts or a second layer get more common the slower the racers get.

I think it honestly depends.

When I was younger, if I was doing a workout or racing, I'd be in shorts down to the mid-20s.  32 degrees would be sports bra territory.

For whatever reason (I blame age) I've gotten considerably less tolerant of cold in the past few years.  I've now found that I run much faster in the same temperatures when I dress a little warmer.  Whatever resistance extra clothes give me are more than balanced out by my body simply functioning better.

Wearing just enough to break a light sweat during a workout or race is optimal.  If I'm wearing enough to sweat heavily, I'm overdressed.  If I never sweat at all, and never feel comfortable, I'm underdressed.

Again, we all have different thermostats - it may just be that I'm chilled more at 28 degrees than you are.  I can absolutely confirm that I'm colder now at 28 degrees than I used to be a few years ago.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The clothing thing totally makes sense and there probably is some high correlation. I also totally agree with DW  on temperature. I seemingly need slightly more clothing each year. A light sweat is absolutely perfect. I see guys running in the park with no gloves when it's 25 degrees outside and I wonder what I did wrong that I was given hands where I need gloves at 50.

Given my new goal for Boston is 2:32:59, I was trying to figure out what I need to run at the NYC Half to feel reasonably confident for that to work. I had originally thought that 1:14:59 would be a great goal, as there's something about that 75 minute barrier, plus it's more aggressive than just a "PR" goal. I did just convert a 1:16:05 into a 2:36:31, but a) that half had 6 miles directly into a 20-25 mph wind and b) it was a week sooner within my training cycle than the NYC Half, so realistically I can't expect to convert at HM+4 minutes again. I was thinking though that HM+5 is reasonable. Which means I somehow need to break 1:14:00 at the NYC Half in March. So Steve - throw it on the board. NYC Half on March 15. Goal is 1:13:59. Flavio - please see this and congratulate me on not sandbagging.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

I have only had two cold races:

1. Christchurch marathon 2015.  Still, dry and cold, at start it was -4C/25F and was +7/45F at the end.  It was very cold for the first half.  I wore gloves, beanie (removed at circa 2 hours),  shorts and short sleeve top.  I didn't feel my feet unit 15miles/24km.

2. Christchurch Half Marathon 2019.  This was worse at 4C/39F as it was windy with very cold rain and surface flooding.  I wore a singlet, shorts, beanie and gloves.  I got cold during the race.  In hindsight I would have worn a thermal top.

These days I don't train early morning.  So I don't deal with that much cold, the worst I will have is very heavy rain.

I don't think age has changed my cold tolerance..

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It's what I'm here for...just very frustrating that the worst day of the week is the day of the race.  I guess I should enter now - once I do that there's no point complaining because I'm doing it either way.  At least it's laps so I can have someone hand me water - not to drink, I'll pre-hydrate - but to dump on my head.

I had one training run where I did about 20km with 5km tempo at about -10C (14F)  but stupidly thought I'd warm up so went in shorts and shirt and no gloves.  Performance wise I was fine but my hands were in so much pain.  My half PB was -6C at the start (no wind, just cold and icy) and it was perfect.  But clearly I prefer it colder than normal people, for running anyway.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve cancel the 10k and get down to Sumner beach 

Maybe later in the day...and beer may also be involved Smile

Last night it was 30C when I tried some 10km pace and I was struggling even at easy pace.  There's going to be some suckage.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024