Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I found something like 10 seconds over the course of a few weeks of training after a marathon one time. I just had to get out of my own way and start listening to others. darkwave can be one of the first to tell you how you're not supposed to be in race day shape today. You'd have LOVED weather in my part of the world this week. 70F on Saturday (broke the record high from something like 1939) and snowing with windy and 40F on Sunday. Someone at work called this "Juneuary" and today's 35F will be replaced by mid 50s in two days.

SteveChCh You left out the important information. What beer(s)s did you drink after the race? Oh and don't worry about who is in trouble in the Marathon thread. It changes each week. It becomes a big motivator to just get out there and run instead of concerning yourself with what the internet thinks. Oh and the date format appears to be correct for the important marathon runners.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Brew - Good question, poor form from me.  I had a Speights after I did a 30 minute recovery - it was only 10:30am but I'd been up since 5am and it was already 35C degrees.  I visited a friend and she gave me a Monteiths Pilsener then I had to do the supermarket shopping and did something real dodgy....it was so hot and I hate the supermarket enough that I bought a single can of Garage Project IPA to drink while I shopped...their cans don't look like beer cans so I was all good.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - No, VaporFly has now been deemed legal, so go ahead and buy them. They're a race only shoe for sure. But if you want to commit to running well in races, get a pair. Depending on whom you ask, they last 150-300 miles in races, so that's a long time.

And yeah, I'm in the penalty box over there, flew a little too close to the sun 

DW/Brew - I think I'm just nervous because I ran this exact workout in my last cycle at pretty much the same pace, but that's how cycles go! And I definitely know from experience I'm not in race shape today, which is exactly why I do my workouts at current pace, not goal pace. I was just hoping to be more in the 6:05 range. It'll be fine though, long way to go.

Beer - very excited for my post race beers on Sunday. I do need to drive like an hour back home, so I can't go crazy, but I will definitely enjoy them.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Okay, I'll look at getting some before my next race - I assume they need to be broken in before race day though?

Shouldn't your pregnant partner (aka sober driver for the next year or 2) drive you home so you can also have beers on the trip home?

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ha she is not coming out to the race! She was nice last night though, allowed me to enjoy the Super Bowl 

They don't need to be broken in, but you do want to do one test run in them. They're going to feel super goofy when you try them on and walk around, like moon shoes. But then when you start running around 10K-HMP, they're amazing.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

It’s primarily two fold for taking days off. 

1.) I have been obsessive in the past where I was logging purposeless junk miles and would run a mile on a day just to say I did. I got to the point where it wasn’t fun and I felt guilty if I didn’t run. So I plan them these days whenever I feel like it. 

2.) I’m a pastor and from time to time, I need the day off to just completely chill out from everything, running included. Sunday’s are typically draining to me as is, so I typically do days off on a Sunday and just disconnect and decompress to have me time. My wife and daughter were out of town yesterday so I could enjoy a day of quiet, rest, and no Disney channel.

CommanderKeen solid week! I'm always impressed when anyone gets over 60mpw mostly in singles.
              Yes, I'm doing a tri in late May but mostly because I was cross training enough when injured that it seemed like a good idea. Also if I'm spending time on the bike and swim I'll be slower about ramping up the running which is something that has caused me to reinjure myself in the past.

mrakers -- what prompted the day off? I don't advocate streaking but I'm always curious why people stop them.

Darkwave -- good luck with the race. Hopefully the taper will freshen up your legs.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Good question, poor form from me.  I had a Speights after I did a 30 minute recovery - it was only 10:30am but I'd been up since 5am and it was already 35C degrees.  I visited a friend and she gave me a Monteiths Pilsener then I had to do the supermarket shopping and did something real dodgy....it was so hot and I hate the supermarket enough that I bought a single can of Garage Project IPA to drink while I shopped...their cans don't look like beer cans so I was all good.

Pilsners are pretty good when it's hot out. I'm a "light American lager" (Coors Light) fan myself. Must be a little hard to make a Pilsner there in summer time. Lagers enjoy colder fermentation temperatures.

JMac I mean....You SHOULD be able to get any of the beers at the race within your home state. You kind of get spoiled being in a big city as you are. IF you want to limit the number just go for the hard ones like doing Intervals. One Russian Imperial Stout (10% ABV) vs a bunch of Hopsy Dazy (4.5%). Either that or buy some Sierra Nevada Pale. It's mediocre beer...just like your excuses. One workout doesn't make/break a training cycle. I'm somehow able to accept poor workouts better than a poor race result. So I don't race.

mrakers I'm currently doing a 1 mile run/day minimum as a bet. It isn't fun. Plenty of runs are done STRICTLY for the streak to stay alive. Yesterday I 100% didn't want to run and 2 minutes into it I felt better mentally and as though I could just keep going. I also pointed out I'd be training in it if I had a race. It's good FOR ME to get out there against my own excuses to NOT run. So I'm going to say those "junk" miles aren't just junk. Sometimes you do it just to remind yourself you did it when you didn't want to. Excuses get easier to make each time you make them.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

watsonc123

Too many people to mention, but there's some good training happening.

Re the Vaporfly's, I'm glad World Athletics finally made a decision.  The Alpha Fly's that Kipchoge wore for the sub 2 experiment are now illegal (50mm stack height when only 400mm allowed).  This might be really good for Nike, if the other shoe companies prototypes were over 40mm.  Plus the four month on general market rule, will make it even harder for other other shoe companies for the Olympic marathon.  Will we see track runners in the Vaporfly at the Olympics?

To put limits on is a good thing.  It could have potentially got to a place than in 10 years time there were these things that were 500mm stacks that had springs pointing in front of the toes, or something else strange, that retail for $10,000 and are worth 30s/km.

I didn't realize that mrakers was a pastor.  It's a good thing that Piwi does not post often anymore

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I do wonder if we will see any next percent on the track at the Olympics. I gotta think people will still opt for spikes so they can really grip in the sprint. I know Nike has some crazy prototype spikes. New balance has the 5820 which if it had a spike would be pretty sweet.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - "Allowed" you to watch the SuperBowl???  Are you talking about your mother or your partner? Smile

I have added a race - the Cherry Blossom 10km in Hagley Park in September.  This is a tiny race around Hagley Park but sticks to the asphalt paths (also has a half-marathon and marathon).  I feel I need to revisit my 10km time after Sunday and if the 2 halfs I have scheduled go okay then I should be in good shape to have a crack at a fast 10km.  Shouldn't be congestion either, last year the there were only 20 men in the race, albeit with some good times (winner finished in 38 mins).  I'll wait before working out a goal time - I'd like to think 41 mins is a reasonable goal right now but I should be in better shape by then.

I'm considering also doing the City to Surf on March 22 - this is a 14km race so wouldn't need too much taper or recovery.  Is it reasonable to aim for HMP for a full 14km over 2 months out from my goal race?  I think that's a stretch so perhaps HMP + 5-10 seconds.

I need more racing than one a year and Sunday certainly helped whet the appetite, even on a less than perfect day.

2024 Races:

watsonc123

I am a fan of racing regularly.  Just don't worry too much about 'B' and 'C' races.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

I didn't realize that mrakers was a pastor.  It's a good thing that Piwi does not post often anymore

I'm sure Pastors are allowed a sense of humour Watson.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Flavio, great to see that you are blending in.  Congratulations Steve for the race!

I came back, managed 35 miles for last week (including an 18 miles jatlagged on Sunday. Not much, but I am happy I kept running, and I included some quality last week, so this week I am actually feeling ok. let's see if it pays out.

I hope to stay put in Belfast for a few weeks if not a month or two, so I hope to train consistently. My body and mind are a bit tired with all the travelling and I am not racing much, so I don't have a lot of motivation to get faster or stronger. Hopefully this will change

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Dps - super strong week, I’m in awe of both the 8x800 on Tue and the tempo in Thu.

Darkwave - you are here therefore crowned Queen of cross training!

Also some really tough workouts, that 2x5 I assume is at MP and that pace is super impressive.

Rakers - 7x800 is super impressive, you’ve got that 3 mile target locked unless something bizarre happens.

Keen - the issue for me has always been muscular endurance, I hope I’m stronger enough that it won’t be an issue over 13 miles this time.

Jmac - it’s pretty flat here and also very close to the sea. So far excellent running weather.

I know a moose mug is cool but you’re experienced enough by now to know that training will determine pace.

We both know you will be back next year or the year after, so don’t fret, look at the bright side, if you don’t get faster you just wait until you’re older and you still get your moose mug.

Vaporfly - It’s a narrow shoe (I’ve got duck feet) and not zero drop. Also any new PR would be dependent on the shoe, so I’d never know if I’ve gotten faster or it’s the shoes. Not for me.

At least for now.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm sure Pastors are allowed a sense of humour Watson.

Not your sense of humor.