Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

My body had sweet revenge on the long run....

Dps - super strong week, I’m in awe of both the 8x800 on Tue and the tempo in Thu.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Vaporfly - at this point, is a must in my opinion, unless you absolutely cannot wear that type of shoe because it doesn't fit your feet. I use 4MM drop shoes every day in training, and yet I race in them. You can't worry about the drop when you're only wearing them for a few races a year. You won't get injured from one single run: it's the cumulative impact of multiple runs in improper shoes. Other competitors will come out with shoes over the next few months, but until I see evidence otherwise, I will be running in them.

Steve - when I said allowed, I meant allowed to enjoy myself, e.g. she was DD so I had a few extra beers while watching 

Racing - Agree with Watson, you absolutely need to race more frequently to know how to race. That's why I'm racing this weekend: it's a rust buster. It serves two purposes: 1) are my training paces in line with my current fitness at this point? and 2) remembering what the pink unicorn looks like. For goal races, I always try to race 3 times: one rust buster, one sharpening race, and then the goal race itself. For marathons, that's usually a 5K/10K about 10 weeks out from the race, and then a half marathon 3-5 weeks out.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cosigning all of the above on the need to RACE.

In every race, there is a point where you ask yourself a question, and then answer it.  Racing regularly lets you practice answering that question correctly.  Using races as workouts does not.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

In every race, there is a point where you ask yourself a question, and then answer it.  Racing regularly lets you practice answering that question correctly.  

This is gold, never heard it phrased this way. Should be a rule on the front page.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

In every race, there is a point where you ask yourself a question, and then answer it.  Racing regularly lets you practice answering that question correctly.  Using races as workouts does not.

Blasted .gif won't show. *insert Godfather clap here*

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

I completely agree with this as well - very well articulated Darkwave.  I also agree with JMac's suggestion that it should be a rule on the front page!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

That is beautiful. I think I've answer incorrectly more often than I've answer correctly, but those times I got it right... those are etched into my memory (and are almost all PRs).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

I don't normally post in this thread but I am shooting for a sub 1:30 half at some point this year, and I couldn't resist a good weather conversation!

I think everyone has their own point at which the cold will start to negatively affect performance. I find my performance suffers when it creeps above 50, but I have raced really well in 20 degree weather. My first BQ was 25 degrees, and my 10K PR (which I haven't been able to beat in 3 years) was in 20 degree weather. I would prefer 21 over 51, unless it was really windy. All of my current PRs were set when it was 35 or colder. I vote for winter year round, or maybe I need to move to Maine.

I have yet to figure out what "too cold" is for me but I ran a race with darkwave once that was only 12 degrees, and that was too cold.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave:  Nice, you win the internet today.  When I'm having a tough race, particularly my last 2, I have had times when I've asked myself "Do you want to ease it back to reduce the pain level?"  Dangerous question and thankfully I haven't answered "yes" yet.

Elizabeth: Welcome, I feel like this is the year that the most members of the thread ever go under 1:30 so you're in the right place.  I agree on the weather, give me cold over hot (or even moderately warm) any day.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

It's a 3 miler for the local track club. An 18:15 last year would finish around 20th overall. Hoping to use that as a way to push me hard enough to shock myself.

Rakers - 7x800 is super impressive, you’ve got that 3 mile target locked unless something bizarre happens.

I'm definitely 100% human. Still laugh. Sometimes at things that people don't expect me to. Smile

I'm sure Pastors are allowed a sense of humour Watson.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don't normally post in this thread but I am shooting for a sub 1:30 half at some point this year, and I couldn't resist a good weather conversation!

I think everyone has their own point at which the cold will start to negatively affect performance. I find my performance suffers when it creeps above 50, but I have raced really well in 20 degree weather. My first BQ was 25 degrees, and my 10K PR (which I haven't been able to beat in 3 years) was in 20 degree weather. I would prefer 21 over 51, unless it was really windy. All of my current PRs were set when it was 35 or colder. I vote for winter year round, or maybe I need to move to Maine.

I have yet to figure out what "too cold" is for me but I ran a race with darkwave once that was only 12 degrees, and that was too cold.

Welcome. A bit of a random question - any chance you ran CIM this year? I feel like I saw someone that looked like you at the expo (I recognized you as I used to lurk on multiple RWOL threads), but wasn't really sure so didn't want to be a creep.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Welcome. A bit of a random question - any chance you ran CIM this year? I feel like I saw someone that looked like you at the expo (I recognized you as I used to lurk on multiple RWOL threads), but wasn't really sure so didn't want to be a creep.

Why yes! And no surprise, CIM was too warm/humid for me so I did not have a good race.  How was your race? I was a huge RWOL person back in the 2008-2010 time frame. This was me at the expo:

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

I agree- you win the Internet today. This is so well articulated.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Vaporfly - at this point, is a must in my opinion, unless you absolutely cannot wear that type of shoe because it doesn't fit your feet. I use 4MM drop shoes every day in training, and yet I race in them. You can't worry about the drop when you're only wearing them for a few races a year. You won't get injured from one single run: it's the cumulative impact of multiple runs in improper shoes. Other competitors will come out with shoes over the next few months, but until I see evidence otherwise, I will be running in them.

I've done some googling and there are some examples of people getting injured from a single run.  I don't know if I'm willing to lose a month or more of training to save 30-60 seconds in a race.  And flavio makes a good point too.  But clearly I want to get the best result possible.  I'm a bit torn on this one.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Sorry- I am posting a lot lately. I got an injury from wearing the Vaporfly Next% during CIM.  I did not have the injury at the start line, but after I finished my arch was on fire. Even though I had worn them without issue in two half marathons (and a 16 mile long run), the full marathon was too much. My physical therapist has two theories:

1. The 8mm drop + the bounce of the shoe caused compression in the tendon

2. The shoe was digging into my arch and irritating it

In any event, due to the posterior tibialis tendonitis, I had to sacrifice about 100 training miles in January. Totally not worth it. However, my physical therapist told me that if I gradually introduced the shoe into my training 4 weeks prior to my next marathon, there would be less of a chance of injury because my foot would be used to it.