Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio What about Framboise? It's a beer withe fruit in it.

Clint Eastwood ewww face

Jmac - Nice job on 2nd place, it’s a lot more fun when you’re fighting for position.

Brew - 65 miles on Thursday, that’s a lot of running for someone not interested in running 

Keen - yup same coach

Mark - 5 days now. I should start wrapping myself in bubble wrap.

Taper madness - I've just ate the last slice of bread I had. No more bread, pizza, pastry, alcohol, cheese. Just easy on the stomach foods until the race. Rice, chicken, bananas, apples, almonds, polenta, salads etc.

I'm using my own hand towel to dry my face.

I'm keeping my routine of daily dose of Omega3 and Propolis to keep the immune system in good shape.

I'm drinking camomile tea morning and evenings to see if I can calm down a bit.

MADNESS!!!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - You're definitely in the crazy phase. As I approach goal races, if anyone even sneezes near me, I'm moving far away.

Keen - it's been raining here non-stop. I've gotten such good use out of that Gore jacket, it's amazing how I used to DREAD 45 and raining, and now it's not too bad. Of course, 45 with pouring rain and wind is still awful, but I'm okay now in a light rain. Best money I've spent on running equipment.

mark - forgot to ask: how were the conditions? It's been so mild out here for winter, but I think it's been okay in the west.

Brew/Daniels - don't forget about Keen. But I'm clearly the number 1 Daniels fan boy. I only train by his methods and will follow him into the depths of hell.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio Damn decimal system. If I was using Freedumb Units I'd be able to tell you it was six and a half.

You're grossed out by open fermented fodors?

JMac I mean...it's pretty much the same thing as Hanson's with more names for things to over complicate it all. Something like "six by eight hundred at 10k pace" is too simple. Oddly I'm the "fanboy" of my daily running group and I'm sure you see the JD workouts. Any suggestions for today? I'm torn between Reps and Intervals just with the 5K coming up (I'm trying to break 20) and the HM seemingly forever away (April 4) so I could put off some T effort until MAYBE this weekend...for once.

I'm already highlighting the rules in the bible so I'm not running too fast, or too slow. This better lead to a sub 1:23 or I'm calling BS on the entire training plan I spent about $11 on.

I'm more of a Dr. Pepper (actually Diet because less sugar) fan myself. Yes this is a quote from a movie about legendary County music singer Johnny Cash featuring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese with her spoon.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Don't forget the hand sanitiser!  Take it with you everywhere you go.  Also, some tissues or paper towels to use for opening doors so you don't have to touch the handle.  A face mask wouldn't go astray either.

I'm not joking about any of this.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - it was fairly mild the first week or so for that time of year, temps mostly around 3-5C / low 20s F.  Then it got above freezing and returned to normal temps for that time of year after that - so in the 10's F.  Meant that when running I had to be really careful of ice for a couple of days before some fresh snow hit the surface.

Quite regular snow, but not large falls - we got maybe 2 inches / 5 cm on 7 or 8 days out of the 14 we were there with a couple of bigger falls.  A couple of awesome powder days, and had a lot of fun with my brother in law cruising the trees.  Sun Peaks is a really fun skifield - not a lot of crazy extreme stuff but a really good range of terrain, some great glades, and it's massive (second largest in Canada).  Practically zero queues (the only day we had to wait for a chair was on a Saturday), overall it'd be my favourite skifield in North America.

Not sure how well you know Colorado, but basically it's a bigger Copper Mountain, without any of the queues that you get when you're 2 hours drive from a major city.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - joke is on you, I'm not leaving the house 

I'm kidding of course, I do a short trip to the supermarket at the end of the day 

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - joke is on you, I'm not leaving the house 

I'm kidding of course, I do a short trip to the supermarket at the end of the day 

I'd get them to deliver (get the delivery man to leave them outside and leave for at least 5 minutes before you go outside and breathe the same air).  And use disposable gloves when unpacking and washing the food.

I assume your partner has somewhere else to stay until the race?

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'd get them to deliver (get the delivery man to leave them outside and leave for at least 5 minutes before you go outside and breathe the same air).  And use disposable gloves when unpacking and washing the food.

I assume your partner has somewhere else to stay until the race?

If you think that will solve everything, I just read this story today:

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-could-spread-through-pipes-buildings-officials-fear-1486646

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Right around the time I was tapering down for CIM, my partner got very sick with some awful headcold.

I literally wore a flu mask around the house every day (including while sleeping) for a week.  I also carefully handwashed each utensil, plate, and cup before using them.  Opened doors using my shirt sleeve.  Changed our pillow cases every day.

It worked - I didn't get sick.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac -  There's always camping but you can only do so much.

darkwave - isn't it contagious before it develops?  Maybe you just had great immunity...before my first sub 1:30 race, my gf at the time had a bad cold which I somehow avoided.  I think I've mentioned here before that she didn't talk to me for a day after I refused her a sip from my water bottle.  A small price to pay.

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I've just finished an 8k run pulling the brakes all the way, which feels good. Of course on the way back the plantar fasciitis flared up but now it's completely gone.

In taper news, thanks a lot guys, I’m overwhelmed by the great recommendations.

I can either follow JMac’s idea and not shower till the race, maybe I’ll chew some garlic for extra effect, that should ensure no human beings in my vicinity.

Or I could follow Steve’s recommendation and inform her that she must move out until the race.

For that I’ll need courage though, maybe I’ll drink one of those beers with fruits on it and an umbrella on the top that Jmac alluded to a couple of pages ago.

drink with umbrella

zebano

Lol you guys get really into the taper. I'm 2/3 on developing upper respiratory infections just before marathon taper so I've never had to worry about that. I suggest just carrying a blowtorch and sanitizing everything with fire!

I've spent the last few weeks being rather frustrated because I had to constantly stop during my easy runs to teach my dog that leash etiquette (no pulling) applies even when running. Well it paid off, I took her on my tempo run yesterday and she was the best doggo who didn't pull at all, but during the warmup I took a left turn and hopped over a median... only to land on some ice, fall and scrape up my leg without her help. Thankfully it wasn't bad and we completed the tempo run regardless. After that I went to a cub scout banquet where a friend's wife had made so much flan I was sent home with 12 extra servings of the delicious dessert. I think I'm going to have to give them away at work =(

Flavio, be sure to wear a gopro and film things when you ask your partner to move out for a week.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I like to live dangerously. During the final 4-6 weeks my wife and almost 2 year old son were sick. I didn't ever wash my hands unless I was in the shower and I considered holding the scrub brush/bar of soap as washing them. I also kind of helped change diapers, took out the trash and even used public restrooms. I even went as far as sharing a bed with a woman who had a cough and drugged herself to make it through the rough times. Coronavirus doesn't like white trash, people like me, people who don't travel to interesting places. Also, people who don't live in major metropolotian areas. "Hicks in the Sticks" don't get nuffin cool...

I think I totally destroyed my workout yesterday. By that I mean I made it harder than it had to for absolutely no reason and did EXACTLY what Jack Daniels says. "If the point of the workout was to suffer then you nailed it." 80 seconds at mile PR pace (conveniently my R pace), 80 seconds recovery. I thought the workout was 6x400. Turns out it was 8x400. I wasn't ready for number 7 which probably added to the pain and suffering. Apparently I'm supposed to recover for closer to 160 seconds for this workout. Even though I nailed my paces with 80 seconds of recovery for every single running portion of the workout. Number 7 brought the suck. I really don't know what, if any, benefit I gained from cutting the recovery short. Lactate/Interval workout? Building aerobic base? Mental toughness even though I dropped out at 7 cuz the thought of number 8 was a "hard pass"?

Flavio Grapfruit Sculpin. Fruited IPA. New Glarus Belgian Red if we have anyone here close to Wisconsin. Founders Rübæus is another option.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

watsonc123

Both my marathons I have ended up getting a cold / respiratory infection a week out.  Not major, but certainly not ideal.

Flavio - good luck.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

zebano

Brew way to just intimidate the viruses into ignoring you. No one wants any part of the stinky diaper. God job destroying yourself by under recovering! Wisconsin has some good beers IMO, I do love the spotted cow better than the N.G. Red. That said so many microbrews are on a sour kick lately and I cannot stand any that are based on grapefruits. Ones that are based on other citrus fruits are amazing I think my favorite mass produced sour is Sea Quench Ale which is simply superb if just a bit too costly to drink very often.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)