Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

watsonc123

Is the Propel more cushioned than the Zante Pursuit?  Both my 12 year old and wife need some road shoes soon.  The Propel looks good.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Monday                          7.5 miles easy on the treadmill - legs were hurting from last weekend's race

Tuesday                         9.5 miles tempo - legs were semi-tired, but I just pushed 3x1 mile @ 6:24 (1.0 incline) 4 minute jog 2.5x1mile @6:24

Wednesday                    7.3 miles easy - felt good

Thursday                        9.2 miles interval - w/u and c/d (12x400m at 1:26ish and then 1x800 at 2:43) Treadmill (was like 18 degrees)

Friday                             5 miles easy

Saturday                         16.5 miles (8.5 on treadmill to finish NCAA game, then immediately outside for 8 miles - 3x1 mile at HM effort, .25, and 3x1 mile at effort

Sunday                          5 miles outside finally

Total                                60 miles

Good week. Tired legs, but recovered really well from some tough workouts. Today my legs are super tired, but 3 miles in they loosened up and I was back to 8:20ish pace.

It became real tonight: I registered for the Indy Mini on May 2. Booked the hotel (thank God for Hyatt points...we're 2 blocks from the start line). And I sent off for Wave 1 seeding, so we'll see what happens. No official goal at this point. It's May 2, but based on the 3 mile time, I know I can PR and I am excited to see how this spring kicks into gear.

The only downfall I may have is Spring Break. My wife and I are heading to Puerto Rico. It's not the running that I'm worried avout - I'll get some miles. It's the fact that I may eat 65 lbs of seafood.

Mrakers may 2nd is a good day, my birthday 

Watson I never would have considered New Balance if we had good cheap options with Nike and Adidas but glad I tried now. I've been running with no socks in them and no problems with blisters etc.

DPSchumaker thanks I've not heard of those but will look into them. Because I'm only hobby jogging I dont really need anything too specific.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dpschumacher - ha, I suppose that is fair.

Mark, darkwave: Yeah I find the intense intervals to be really hard work - I guess it's as close as I get to racing in the heat.  I did consider lengthening the recovery intervals but I read a comment a month or 2 ago that you're better off keeping the same recovery and if the pace slips, so be it?  It seems like a good way to learn how to take the pain.

That was my comment, and I stand by it.  But it has to be taken in context.   The context in that situation was a runner who was consistently running her intervals too fast, and then extending the recovery to compensate, fundamentally changing the workout.  Not extending the recovery was about forcing pace discipline, not pain tolerance.

OTOH, if it's very warm/humid, I have no issue with extending the recoveries a bit, since it takes longer for the HR to drop.  As long as the runner is doing it to keep the HR under control, not so they can turn an aerobic workout into an anaerobic one.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

They are very cushioned but I can still get good push off.. Not all that much heavier. I think new balance is coming out with a version with a carbon plate.

Is the Propel more cushioned than the Zante Pursuit?  Both my 12 year old and wife need some road shoes soon.  The Propel looks good.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Well done Flavio and great report!!

great to see that Italy is bringing you joy Wink

of course Pizza is a great pre-race!!! Mark I need to read about your burger pre-race meal... but I think I will stick with pizza.

I had a bit of a demoralizing week, got a cold on Sunday and had to stay in until later in the week... I managed to get in 40 miles with 3 days running, but I feel a bit demotivated about my training and in general about running.

I am too busy to aim for any actual progress at the moment. But at least it keeps me sane.

have a good week

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

A large amount of my long treadmill time planning involves looking up what games are going to be on the 3 stations with sports on the treadmill.  Luckily i'm a badger fan and they have the big ten network, so there is a lot of running around when the badgers play....sadly this year they are both really good.....and horrible....depending on the game.

Saturday                         16.5 miles (8.5 on treadmill to finish NCAA game, then immediately outside for 8 miles - 3x1 mile at HM effort, .25, and 3x1 mile at effort

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Watson - Glad you're showing improvement.

Flavioooooo! - Killer race. Somehow I missed that on Strava. Hopefully the life stress calms down.
                  As everyone else has said, 84 minutes is an odd time for a pacer. I've only run (or even heard of) a single HM with a sub-90 minute pacer, and that was an unexpected (wasn't listed on the website) 85 minute group at my last one.

Mrakers - Nice week.

Starting to taper the mileage just a bit - this week I'll probably drop another 10 miles or so off and lighten workouts as well. Felt good overall, though I had to switch my LR day because I simply didn't get up when my alarm went off.

Working from home while all of my kiddos are running around the house (no school for Presidents' Day) is "challenging". Thankfully they're heading off to the zoo with DW's sister and her daughter before long.

Legs felt super-heavy this morning, and the pace showed it. Oh, well, I wasn't going for time anyway.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Runners Connect Chart on How Long before you benefit:  That doesn't seem true to me at all. I feel like when I am 2-6 weeks out from a marathon I am gaining fitness on a weekly basis. Now, one could argue that this fitness is coming from what I did earlier in the cycle, but I don't think so.

JMac: I'll be violating your rule with a 19 miler two weeks before my half which will take longer than two hours. But, my goal race is a marathon and not the half. Sorry about the dog.

SteveChCh: I agree that really fast speed work in the summer is brutal.  I can't even attempt VO2 max in the summer without getting completely wasted or sick.

flavio & fitness not being linear: You are so right about gains not being a slow ascent. For me, I usually find that I am at a plateau for 4-6 weeks and then suddenly I will have a breakthrough workout where it all pays off, running paces I never would have expected. Sorry to hear you have a cold!

zebano: That stomach virus sounds nasty. Glad you feel better now.

watson: good news on the leg and Achilles.

Marky: That's awesome about the 200s making you run faster at the end. Usually my coach finishes me off with 3 x 200m. I think there is a benefit of running them in the middle though. See my note to flavio about the breakthrough workout after you felt like you weren't getting anywhere!

James: Nice week, but sorry to hear that you are still having sinus issues.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Pre-Race Meals

For shorter races usually a piece of salmon with rice and some beet juice or a beet salad.

For marathons, chicken parm without the parm (sensitive to cheese) or pasta with marinara sauce and chicken. I try to avoid all dairy the day before a race of any distance.

Marky: Very solid week for you. I hate when work travel interferes with running!

flavio: That's truly amazing you were able to PR after being ill and all the stuff going on in your personal life. Added personal stress and worry can really take a toll on your ability to perform but you managed really well. Congrats!

SteveCh: Your weather sounds miserable. I am sure once it cools off you will see much faster times and feel better. Solid week!

dpschumacher: WOW- that is some high mileage. Great consistency!

Darkwave: I still need to read your weekly blog, but that is a killer week. Your long run indicates that you will be able to run really fast in two weeks. Can't wait to cheer you in, provided I don't die after the half.

My week. Got 61.8 miles which felt awesome, given my tendonitis last month. Highlights:

• Went swimming twice. 800yd and 900yd
                      • Strength training 3 times (marathon legs program from McMillan)
                      • Foot rehab exercises twice per day
                      • 15.2 miles as a two-hour long run, average 7:54 (started at 8:25, progressed down to 7:33)
                      • Speed work included a Fartlek session (12 x 1 min, 12 x 30 secs) and a steady state: 40 mins at 7:13 pace in the rain and wind

Last week's weather sucked because it rained so much and combined with the cold and wind it was miserable. But as of Saturday the weather has been perfect! I have the One City Half in two weeks, but it's not my goal race for the season- it's a tune up for Boston.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave:  Okay, that makes sense.  I'm much better at sticking to the target pace in VO2 Max workouts than tempo workouts.  I guess just because it is a far more comfortable pace. I think I'll keep in mind that hot weather is a fair reason to extend recovery.

Elizabeth:  Yep, I think we have similar thermostats.  Last night it was 33C (92F) when I started my run, and I decided early on not to do a workout.  I was feeling dry and hot early, and I think a workout would have gone terribly and ended up being demoralising.  It's staying dark until about 6:30am now, so it is not overly hot first thing.  I might try an early morning workout on Wednesday.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Kentucky fan here. Saturday long runs in the winter aren’t bad.

A large amount of my long treadmill time planning involves looking up what games are going to be on the 3 stations with sports on the treadmill.  Luckily i'm a badger fan and they have the big ten network, so there is a lot of running around when the badgers play....sadly this year they are both really good.....and horrible....depending on the game.

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - great week, excited to see how your marathon goes.  Please be careful of trucks!  And yes... I do run a lot of workouts.  I have a coach who sets my programmes weekly, and there's always been a lot of quality in there.  I'd say I follow what she tells me around 90% of the time.  Sometimes I'll look at a workout and dial it back a bit if I'm not up for that today.  If I'm in a really good groove on an easy run I might go a little longer than planned.  I know she looks at various training stress metrics on TrainingPeaks as a guide but she also seems to have a good intuitive feel for what will work well for me (and has been able to keep refining and adjusting that as I've gone from a 1:27 to a 1:10 half!).

Elizabeth - nice week and nice progression on that long run.  Always satisfying to finish strong!

Mrakers - nice week.  That Indy Mini sounds like a popular and well-run event - I know someone from another group that PR'ed there last year and had a lot of good things to say about it (not just because he PR'ed either!).

Keen - great week, so that means you will be reducing your mileage to something in the realm of mere mortals like us next week?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flavio - Wow just read your RR and that was a fantastic result!  And you're living in Italy!  I’m not a fan of pasta....but love proper authentic pizza with chilli oil. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - I’m pretty certain I could not run any faster on that day. Had I not gone with the pack I’d tire faster for sure.

That said, there’s hope for a faster time with a new training block.

Mark - Heh, I’ve seen you mention that burger & fries for pre-race dinner, I’ve always wondered if it’s superstition, the blessing that is burger and fries or both.

200 reps are super fun, to date my favorite. I seem to run the 100s at nearly the same pace as the 200s so the 100s are not as fun.

James - Indeed it was odd as all the other pacers starting at 1h30 were in 5 minute increments.

I guess they wanted a round number 4 min/km (though 4 min/km is really 1h25).

The lead female finished about 9 seconds after me so maybe it was a pacer group for her?

The race record for women is 1h15 I think.

This race was very top heavy from what I could gather. From roughly 1000 finishers only about 100 ran over 2 hours.

However they probably don’t give out show money nor money prize so the East Africans stay away I reckon.

Steve - the glorious weather continues to bless you!

Darkwave - have you ever counted how many hours you exercise per week? I’d estimate around 13-14 hours?

Fun fact - I got food poisoning after eating at a Chipotle near chinatown in Washington DC Big grin

Piwi - 1h20 looks like a much rounder number. Who knows what the future holds.

Marco - your schedule makes it very hard for you to have any consistency. And it’s a shame cause I feel like that’s holding you back a bit.

me - Thanks all for the kind words. I'm a bit sore now 2 days later, mostly the quads which is to be expected.

The coach has prescribed 3 full days of rest and I'm following it to the dot.

I was watching a video of the finish line and I just realized there was a dude chasing me down while I was chasing the guy in front of me.

Fun fact, neither of us was successful in passing, but I guess it was good for a faster finishing time.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly