Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

*giving you The Look* 

Kentucky fan here. Saturday long runs in the winter aren’t bad.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - I'm so happy for you! I don't think you've PR'd in the years I've been on these boards, but I know how hard you've worked for it. It feels like your training is finally meeting what your body needs. I also want to copy what others have said, even if you don't agree: if you finish a half as strongly as you did, you DEFINITELY could have run faster. Nobody should put down a final mile that fast and say they couldn't have run faster, and this is coming from someone who negative splits almost every race he does.

I'm very happy to pass the taper madness crown off to you. ALL HAIL OUR NEW KING!

Steve - I've done plenty of work in the nasty summer heat. I have found this calculator to be almost spot on when it comes to how much slower I need to run (noting you cut the impact in half if you're doing intervals due to the rest, which allows your body to cool down). I've shared this a few times before:

100 or less:   no pace adjustment

101 to 110:   0% to 0.5% pace adjustment

111 to 120:   0.5% to 1.0% pace adjustment

121 to 130:   1.0% to 2.0% pace adjustment

131 to 140:   2.0% to 3.0% pace adjustment

141 to 150:   3.0% to 4.5% pace adjustment

151 to 160:   4.5% to 6.0% pace adjustment

161 to 170:   6.0% to 8.0% pace adjustment

171 to 180:   8.0% to 10.0% pace adjustment

Above 180:   hard running not recommended

Also Steve, you can add this to a little story that makes you smile about your dog: one person mixed us up, and now 4 people have given me condolences about my dog 

Makers - I'm heading to Hawaii during my Boston taper, so I hear you on that! I think the good thing is that you'll get some heat acclimation in. That's the positive I'm taking away from my trip.

Elizabeth - what are your goals for the half and for Boston?

Me - I had two really good quality sessions this week. On Thursday, I completed a combo VO2 max + Rep workout after a long warmup. Those 1000 meter repeats were horrible, and it makes me question how I ever did 7x1200 this summer. But these did feel a LOT better than a similar workout I tried 2 weeks ago, so I'm definitely seeing some gains. I also put in a much better long run Sunday than I was expecting, as my pace started much quicker than I expected and I just went with it. It may honestly have been my best long run ever in terms of average pace, so I guess I'm getting out of my funk and finally seeing some fitness gains.

Day Miles Description
      Mon 7.0 Recovery
      Tue 11.0 EZ
      Wed 11.5 EZ + Strides
      Thu 17.0 7E + 6x1000 (3:17) + 4x400 (1:13) + 2E
      Fri 0.0  
      Sat 11.5 EZ + Strides
      Sun 22.0 20 @ 6:43
      Total 80.0  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Quick drop in. I'm in need of getting serious about HM training. Upcoming 5k March 15 I'll be aiming for a 6:00/mi pace and trying to hang on to that. Course for the half hasn't been released so I'm not sure if I'll be in traffic the whole time or if I'll be on my own trying to catch up to the leaders. Also not really sure what the focus should be for a half marathon training cycle at this point (race april 4). I'm focusing on speed for the upcoming 5k and assume after that it should be a lot more focus on HM pace work and Threshold training.

M: 6.6 miles

Tu: 7x400. 80 seconds hard, 80 seconds recovery. Either too fast, or not enough recovery. Hammered out 7 thinking I was doing 6 and I was SMOKED at 7.

W: 6.6 trail

Th: 8.3 Trail. RB said how I'm always missing out on this great single track so I went after it. I was thinking "this is probably more fun on a mountain bike" and then encountered a mountain biker going UP hill who didn't want to move so I made my own way arond him and smacked my shin on something. The trail wasn't worth it. Neither was the extra 15 minutes to get 1 extra mile.

F: 1.0. Only ran for the bet. SO unmotivated with no one around. It was a nice day too.

Sa: 1.0 after Ham radio class and before Junkyard adventures. Ran to the local homebrew shop and I don't think they recognized me. I even topped it off by running in the deadzone and NO ONE CAUGHT ON...or commented.

Su: 10.36. I was feeling good and wanted to get 10. I could have gotten up to 12 but spent time chatting, and didn't run back home. Felt good running a 10 miler though.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

A cross post, but.... I'm moving in with my parents. Yes, I said it!

DD2 is now sick. Fever, throwing up, the whole 9 yards. Of course I didn't know she was sick until after she crawled into bed with me for 90 minutes or so this morning (she said she was scared from a nightmare, and acted genuine about it).
          Hopefully she recovers quickly, but I'm having flashbacks to before Dallas when I got sick 2 weeks before, then during the race.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - That chart makes sense.  I went early this morning, conditions could not have been more perfect.  I did hurt a bit, but that's what's supposed to happen.  I didn't feel like I was in the red zone though.  We probably only have a few weeks left of hot weather so I've almost made it.  Desperately need rain - I haven't seen conditions so dry since the big fires of 2017.

The impact of Mia continues!  I hope your dog is doing okay Smile

CK -  GET OUT.  GET OUT NOW!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - That chart makes sense.  I went early this morning, conditions could not have been more perfect.  I did hurt a bit, but that's what's supposed to happen.  I didn't feel like I was in the red zone though.  We probably only have a few weeks left of hot weather so I've almost made it.  Desperately need rain - I haven't seen conditions so dry since the big fires of 2017.

We are up to 43 days without rain now (I think).  Can't believe they had such major rain and flooding issues in Southland which is not that far from you while much of the rest of the country is in serious drought.  

I'm kind of counting down on the hot weather too.  It was really humid this morning (TDP probably in the 130's) and no wind to compensate.  Pretty frustrating to get all that humidity and NO RAIN (especially when you're on tank water like us).  December and January were actually pretty good for the most part but this current stretch has been unpleasant.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've noted the dry spell in Auckland and Northland (hasn't there been an argument between Niwa and Metservice about 0.1mm falling one night?).  I remember from my days in Auckland that the upper North Island is usually good for one huge storm each summer, leading to camping grounds being flooded.  There were floods in Timaru (only 150km south) in December and SH1 was closed for days...and not a drop here, although that mostly came from rain in the Alps coming down the rivers.  Even Wellington seemed dry when I was up there.

The good news is, there's a cricket test starting Friday in Wellington so they should get some rain, and the second test the following weekend here.

JMac - I know that's a couple of posts in a row about NZ weather but there's been a bit of American sport chat recently so, you know, swings and roundabouts.

brew - nice week.

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I know that's a couple of posts in a row about NZ weather but there's been a bit of American sport chat recently so, you know, swings and roundabouts.

How do you think Nathan Jones and Billy McKiwi is handling this kind of heat?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

How do you think Nathan Jones and Billy McKiwi is handling this kind of heat?

I'll ask Nathan next time I see him.  He might even turn up for Sunday's 10km race since it's near his house (I'm serious).

Also, in interesting statistical occurrences, Smashrun informed me that my 90-day rolling mileage as of today is 1111.1km.  Cool.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'll ask Nathan next time I see him.  He might even turn up for Sunday's 10km race since it's near his house (I'm serious).

Also, in interesting statistical occurrences, Smashrun informed me that my 90-day rolling mileage as of today is 1111.1km.  Cool.

Hang on.  Is this Nathan Jones I played cricket against who finished a few seconds behind you in ChCh, or the Nathan Jones I played cricket with who isn't a runner?  There can't be another one.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Hang on.  Is this Nathan Jones I played cricket against who finished a few seconds behind you in ChCh, or the Nathan Jones I played cricket with who isn't a runner?  There can't be another one.

This is Nathan Jones the triathlete, who is a runner (but not a cricketer, as far as I am aware).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

So after five years of not running a half marathon, 2020 is not just completion but to dominate the half. But, training is where I’m confused with some key workouts to do. Any help/thoughts on this plan? It looks like it has some great speed work which is what I’m looking for. Some solid intervals on Tuesday and then tempo runs on Thursday is my plan. So the Tuesday intervals here seem to be a good starting place, but after not racing for so long, was curious to get some other eyes on it:

http://www.digitalrunning.com/advanced-half-marathon-training-plan/

Marky_Mark_17

mrakers - I think the big question is, do you think it'll work for you?  The best plan is the one you can stick to and enjoy!

There's some good aspects to the plan, including:

• The overall structure works well with easy/recovery days after workouts, no more than 2 workouts a week, plus a decent long run
                            • No back to back workouts (only lunatics like me do that)

What I'd probably look to do differently would be:

• Replace some of those doubles (probably the Thursday one) with a medium long run.  You'll get much more aerobic benefit from running an easy 12-miler than an 8-miler plus a 4-miler
                            • I don't like many of the workouts - both the workouts themselves, and how they're ordered. Having 8 x 1200 @VO2Max in week 2 just seems like a terrible idea.  The 6 x 1 mile is also quite brutal.  And I think it makes more sense to have those 'economy pace' (terrible descriptor!!) workouts, which are basically sprint efforts, towards the end of the programme rather than the start as they'll give you a bit more speed coming into the race.
                            • A few alternatives would be 4 or 5 x 1k hard with 400m jog recovery, or 4 or 5 x 3 min moderate, 1 min hard, 1 min easy, or some hill repeats or hill sprints
                            • Ignore the crosstraining unless that's something that really works for you.  Get the run miles in, plus some strength if you have time.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been focusing solely on 5k time lately. Now that I ran a wave 1 seed time for the HM I’m starting to transition to more focused intensity and distance. I was planning on cutting out the doubles and getting in 10-12 miles starting in March. That would be 9 weeks of HM training alone. I have a 5k on the 29 and then it’s open from there forward. 

Today I actually did the mile repeat workout you mentioned but I only did 5 miles. I was on the treadmill and my wife got home late from work so I was rushed. I run easier on the treadmill so I was still pleased with 5x1 mile at 5:53 pace which their calculator gives me as my VO2max pace. 

All in all I’ve been averaging between 55-60 mpw and have been focusing more on solid speed work twice a week with a few faster miles thrown in on long runs, either in the middle or the other day at the end. I figured by mid April I’ll peak at around 70 miles and try to hit a 10k race 2-3 weeks out and then begin the dreaded taper. 

I suppose I just needed the help/confirmation that some of these workouts would be beneficial for HM training. My 3 miler time translates to a 1:25:30ish by most equivalency calendars which seems so impossible considering 5 years ago I was 1:31 and some change. I’d love to get there and impress myself in a fast and flat race and suppose I’m already over thinking it. 😁

watsonc123

Can anyone truly do 8 X 1200 at VO2 max?

It has been dry here (greater Wellington)  Last week a sprinkler ban was imposed.  Just after the ban we have had a bit of rain.  It is horribly humid over the last few days.

Hamstring is getting better.  I am not sure when I start running.

I have also just quit my job.  I have been at the company for almost 17 years, so it will be a big change.  I  going contracting, I have an initial six month contract.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25