Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - I wasn't really serious.  I'm lucky enough to have a partner who is nothing but supportive too - she's into equestrian so understands being passionate about something and the time that is required (and doesn't consider $300-400 on shoes to be significant at all, given what equestrian costs!).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

darkwave - I wasn't really serious.  I'm lucky enough to have a partner who is nothing but supportive too - she's into equestrian so understands being passionate about something and the time that is required (and doesn't consider $300-400 on shoes to be significant at all, given what equestrian costs!).

My wife is generally very supportive, but was rather dubious when I mentioned the Vaporflies cost NZ$350.  Maybe I should encourage her to take up horse riding again!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Mark - just under 17 years at the company.  I have had multiple positions there, so not 17 years of the same job.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Funny, about the comparison of Vaporfly costs with equestrian costs.  My prior sport was also horses, and that has similarly tinged my views on costs.  Even to this day, I spend less annually on running than I do supporting my retired horse (amazingly foaled in 1991 and still kicking - I never thought I'd be supporting him this long).

In the US, horse shoeing can run well north of $250 a set, depending on what you're getting.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Elisabeth yea sub 20 is still “for the fast guys” and a 6 minute mile was my goal for the mile I raced a few years ago. I remember it from the Presidential Physical Fitness tests in middle school and I thought it was crazy fast.  The 5k im doing I never entered due to scheduling and also thinking 6 mph was pretty fast for running about 8 years ago. Time really does change things and perspective DOES matter.

I've heard this from a number of places and it makes a lot of sense... "train your weaknesses early and your strengths late".

mrakers-  I'd suggest Pfitz's Faster Road Racing: 5k to Half Marathon if you are focused on HM distance *edit* just saw that was the one you got, good choice.

Brew - there are only three countries that still use the imperial system and the other two are Liberia and Myanmar.  Just saying.

Watson - 17 years is a long time at one job.  All the best with the new adventures.

False. Liberia and Myanmar use the metric system. Made me look.

I think my my weakness is “I don’t really like running” so training to it early seems to be beneficial so far. I think my strength is pain tolerance, or making poor life choices in who I associate with.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Okay this connection between horses and running is very weird, and we've had a lot of weird conversations in here.

I took my first spill on a run today in years! I was doing a 5 mile recovery run with the dog (no, she didn't come back from the grave, she's still around). She did a great job this morning, more than usual, as she usually is pulling me all over the place to smell things, interact with other dogs, etc. We were heading back home on the sidewalks and I went around a group of 2 men. I was running directly into the rising sun, so I couldn't see perfectly, and ended up tripping on one of those raised pieces of sidewalk. I've tripped on those things plenty of times, but this was the first time I've tripped on one and fell. In one way, I was lucky it was winter: my legs and hands were completely covered, so I only got some relatively minor scrapes. However, I was unlucky because my absolute FAVORITE gloves I've ever owned were torn to shreds (note to folks: if you find your hands run a lot of different temps, getting gloves with mitten flaps is an absolute must and I'm so upset I only discovered that this winter. I've had so many runs where my hands were hot early on, but then it got cloudy and the wind picked up and they were frozen, only to be saved by the flaps). Also luckily my dog was just sort of confused as to what had happened and just stood there while I gathered myself even though I dropped the leash.

So since we were just talking about costs related to running, this run cost me about $40 in gloves and $5 in a dog poop bag holder, since that broke too. Going to be hard to ever top Darkwave's running injuries though.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Decent-ish workout this morning. Heavy winds slowed me down a touch, but my hamstrings felt a bit tight to begin with for some Intervals and progressed to "who shortened my hammies by 2 inches" level tight when I switched to Reps. No pain or anything, just tight legs that left me feeling like I had no higher gear or turnover.

Any suggestions for sorting this out, beyond basic hamstring and quad stretches?

Easy 4.5 planned for tomorrow!

ETA:

JMac - Bummer about the fall (and the gloves). I didn't figure you for one who would use gloves with a mitten cover - I've tried a couple pairs of those myself and swore them off as they didn't seem to be any warmer than gloves without the cover. Glad the doggo did well, though.
                I took a similar spill several years ago - before I moved to a place that solved that pesky "raised sidewalk slab" issue by not ever building sidewalks. I'm not sure how I did it, but I tucked my shoulder and did a roll back on to my feet. I didn't lose any gloves, but I did take a fair bit of plastic off the top of my handheld and some skin off the back of my shoulder.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - you know what solves that for me? Strides. Make sure to keep doing them. They feel awful at first, but eventually the loosens things up for me without doing damage. Normally I stop doing them with about a week to go before a marathon, but you may need to keep at it.

ETA - about the flap gloves, they aren't necessarily meant to be warmer given temperatures, but rather they help when it gets windy, which is when hands can get real chilly when it's in the 30s.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

That's no good JMac but glad there aren't any on-going injuries out of it.

I was out with Mia one night in winter last year, it must have been the weekend because I'd had a few bourbons, and I decided to take her on in a sprint. She went in front of me at one point and clipped my legs with her tail - I tried to stay upright for about 10 metres but ended up hitting the deck hard and sliding about 10 metres on the ice.  No flesh wounds due to being wrapped up, but my knee was screwed for a week or so.  It was during my hamstring lay off so didn't stop any training (yes, having a sprint race with the dog isn't great hamstring recovery).  Mia showed not much concern and continued to the park to find a 2 metre long stick to bring home.  The joke was on her though, she thought it would be a good idea to play in the skate bowl, which turns out to be too deep and steep for dogs to climb out of.

2024 Races:

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Elisabeth yea sub 20 is still “for the fast guys” and a 6 minute mile was my goal for the mile I raced a few years ago. I remember it from the Presidential Physical Fitness tests in middle school and I thought it was crazy fast.  The 5k im doing I never entered due to scheduling and also thinking 6 mph was pretty fast for running about 8 years ago. Time really does change things and perspective DOES matter.

Ah, I misinterpreted that. Regardless, I definitely think you can run a sub 20 5K given your 10K PR.

The cost of Vaporflys: I see them as actually more expensive than $250 because they last half as long. So the cost per mile is 4x that of a normal running shoe. Regardless, I have the hot pink and the hot green Next%.

Horses: My dream is to have a zebra one day.

JMac: Sorry about the fall. My favorite pair of gloves was damaged the same way but I still wear them. They are the convertible mittens. Given that you can put the hand warmers inside them, they are truly the best option for winter running.

CommanderKeen: Epsom Salt Bath, massage, massage gun (if you can get access to one). Stretching could be making it worse and I think if you aren't careful you could hurt yourself that way if they are really tight.

- - - - - - - -

Me: So, I did the dreaded 3 x 3 miles at half marathon effort this morning with 3 minute recovery jogs in between. I averaged that magical 6:52 pace and I felt strong the whole way. Splits were: (6:57, 6:50, 6:50), (6:52, 6:48, 6:50), (6:52, 6:52, 6:55). That last mile was rough but I think it was mostly mental because I kept having to dodge a garbage truck which meant I couldn't keep an easy rhythm going. Including warm up and cool down it was 13.6 miles total. I am pretty sure this indicates I have the fitness for a 6:52 half marathon pace next weekend, but it's cutting it so close to 1:29:59/1:30:00 that if I get it I will just barely be squeaking under. Pacing will be important, as will the tangents. If I run 13.15 miles then my 6:52 pace won't do it.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Elizabeth - That workout suggests you can definitely go under 1:30 next week.  How far into the pain cave were you?  You'll probably find a bit extra in a race so I'm predicting you'll do it with 15-30 seconds to spare.  Which race is it?

2024 Races:

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Elizabeth - That workout suggests you can definitely go under 1:30 next week.  How far into the pain cave were you?  You'll probably find a bit extra in a race so I'm predicting you'll do it with 15-30 seconds to spare.  Which race is it?

Thanks for the encouragement. I was not in the pain cave until the last 1.5 miles, and even then I was more annoyed at the wind and the garbage truck. The first two sets of three felt really smooth.

It's the Newport News One City Half Marathon in Virginia. Same race as Darkwave's full. Flat course, and as of now, the weather is looking great.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Marky_Mark_17

Elizabeth - great job on the workout.  I sometimes do 3 x 15 min @ HMP and it's a tough workout (and shorter than yours!).  There's been a few occasions when I've hit goal pace for the workout, and then run just a bit quicker on race day due to the combination of race day adrenaline and the magical taper.  You should take a lot of confidence into the race!!

JMac- doh!! Glad it was nothing serious.  I haven't taken a tumble in a few years either although I was super-cautious when we were on holiday in the mountains recently.

Keen - my hamstrings were a little like that when I came back from holiday for a few days.  Strides are a great suggestion.

Steve- that story is gold!  Do you get ice much around CHC?

Me - sick of the humidity around here but there's some rain coming tomorrow so hopefully it'll be a bit nicer for the 10k race on Sunday morning.  Which is not a goal race, but which I am still excited about because it's on my favourite running route near home.  MUST. DEFEND. STRAVA. CROWNS! (although I will probably lose them if anyone fast shows up for the 5k race)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve- that story is gold!  Do you get ice much around CHC?

Yep, May - August it's pretty common on a dry morning which is a reason not to run first thing.  In the evening it doesn't usually start icing until 9pm or later, although on a particularly cold day last year it didn't really thaw all day and I put my foot in the middle of what I thought was a shallow puddle.  Turns out it was ice so I slid and expected to land on my head but came out of the slide just in time.  Generally the climate is perfect though.  Because it's not NYC, I don't really equip myself properly for cold running when there are definitely some days when it would be wise to wear more than just a t-shirt and shorts..  Like when it was -8C (17F) and I decided not to wear gloves.  Not smart.

2024 Races:

JamesD

JamesD

Yeah, that's a great workout, Elizabeth.  I couldn't have done that at all before my half PR, let alone do it feeling strong.  Assuming the weather remains ok, and as long as you get in a good taper, I think you can go faster than Steve's predicting.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32