Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

zebano

Mark - Great win, and way to negative split it (and crush the final hill)

mrakers - running with kids is the best. My 12 y.o. signed up for a triathlon with me and I think we've chatted more in the 3 two mile runs he's done than we have sitting in the car commuting (no cell phone distraction is wonderful). Now my twins are begging to run too, it's wonderful.

Elizabeth, that's crazy that you only hurl after halves. I only hurl after 5ks but when I start redlining at any distance my stomach starts getting really queasy.

I've had a couple of disappointing weeks volume wise due to a combination of parenting, job, and sickness. This actually ended up giving me a taper for what was supposed to be a C-race but two ~twenty mile weeks is ultimately a bit disappointing. Thankfully the race was a blast.

Psycho Wyco 10 mile Trail Race --

First off this is was in Kansas City and you may think there are no hills there but I've seen watches with Barometric Altimeters give it anything from 1100 feet to 1400 feet of gain per loop. It's also 95% trail to the point where you're either watching your feet, changing directions or trying to convince yourself that yes, it's safe to fly down this embankment, no you won't die as you can grab hold of that tree and swing around to stay on the trail =). It's simply a blast.

Lining up at the start I had absolutely no idea where my fitness was as I've not had any true long runs since December.  Mostly I've just been cross training a lot, capping runs at an hour and doing 20 minute tempos once a week. My mantra was "mile 1 under control". Frankly I was both shocked and dissapointed at the start, there was the usual crew of people going out too fast who I knew wouldn't last but trail conditions were superb this year so the initial 2.5 miles of (uphill) bridle trail which is full of rocks was still wide enough to pass people. I had exactly 2 people pass me and probably passed 12-15. After the first aid station we hit my favorite section of the course which is singletrac with tons of switchbacks that descends the hill and then comes back up to the other side of the aid station. I did my best to lean into the turns and stay light on my feet but there are exactly two places on this course where you can open up your stride for any length of time and one of them was the .25 miles at the very start.

I exited the triangle with my legs feeling really strong and a slight tingle in my right calf and told myself it was important to keep the effort up. I ran some more bridle trail and exited onto some grass by the damn where unfortunately the wind was rough and when you get off the grass, you ascend for the better part of a mile with not one but two false summits. Thankfully I'd run this before and was prepared for that. Once you're back on the trails, you get about .2 miles of slight downhill which is your last opportunity to open up your stride and go. There's a also a photographer there and thankfully my race face wasn't too horrendous. From there there's a couple downhill segments that are notorious for having broken people's legs in the past so while I didn't go slow, I was a bit cautious descending. I do recall that last year I slid down on my butt because it was so incredibly muddy that my shoe screws were useless. After that more singletrac... but much much steeper uphills than earlier in the course. Thankfully the 50k leader came flying by on his second loop as he obliterated the course record and I latched on to get my effort back up to where it needed to be. As he pulled away despite my efforts, I started chasing down the two guys that had passed me early in the course and one of the young guns in my club!

After reeling in all three I kept getting glimpes of one more club mate and got about 10 steps behind him, yelled "I'm coming for you!" and promptly my calf began cramping. I did just enough to keep moving at a reasonable speed after that but I was unable to catch him and had to power hike two of the final hills known as the 3 sisters. I finished 11th overall, 10:30 faster than last year and really pleased with how strong I felt despite a rough couple of months.

I think the combination of heavy deadlifts, squats, tempo runs and lots of aerobic cross training buoyed me through my foot injury. Now I have to decide how aggressively to rebuild weekly mileage but I signed up for a mile road race in April so I'm going to play the recovery by ear, then start doing introducing some quality work. I really want to keep doing my 20 minute tempo runs because I think they've helped a ton but I've totally neglected VO2 work, mile paced work and hill sprints since November.

I'm going to make a bunch of process goals as I find those are much more useful than just saying "I want to PR in the mile" or I want to run sub 5. My only question is will I continue to train like a triathlete or will I dive back into running 100% of the time.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Markey Mark SO 40% of a 5k sucks. Excellent. At least it's more than just the last 3 miles of redline in a half like JMac suggests proves I'm not sandbagging.

zebano triathletes run so you could always keep running and cross training. I think cross training helped me a lot and I keep finding excuse to not to including "I just don't want to." I know the hansons book does say something like "the only way to become a faster runner is to run" and I disagree just because I'm not aware of any professional athletes who don't do some kind of weights/cross training. I think even surfers do weight training, or yoga, instead of just surfing all the time and nothing else.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Brewing I can confirm pro surfers do now take fitness seriously with lots of cross training and diet scrutiny. The old days of just turning up to surf are long gone. Kelly Slater at 48 is living proof of healthy living enabling him to still compete at the highest level.

Steve I may fire up a bit in winter when I have nothing else to do 

We have a City to surf here too. It's about a 11k. It was my first ever race in 2010. I averaged about 4.30/km and my 12 yr old beat me.

Mark I haven't met Wilde yet but hes part of Kirkwoods crew. I've heard he loves racing and pushing hard in races. Hes won some of the shorter world tri events the ones with short legs of 2 x swim/bike/runs.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Wow, that's pretty sharp for a 12 year old.  The last time I did the Christchurch City 2 Surf was when I was 12.  It was 12km then and I think I did it in just under an hour, although I played soccer and didn't do any running training.  Back in those days, it went from Cathedral Square out to New Brighton and finished with a lap around the track at QE2 (the home of the 1974 Commonwealth Games, which was destroyed in the 2011 earthquake).

Now they start in the suburbs and finish at Ferrymead so I don't think it's a true City 2 Surf.  The course around the Heathcote river is nice though.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

For those that don't know Christchurch - the Ferrymead is the start of the Christchurch Estuary.  Not many waves there, although you can windsuft.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Excellent let's turn this back into a NZ based theme thread 

Steve ok my memory maybe a little hazy but piwi junior was 13 and ran 54 mins and I ran 56 mins but it was slightly under 12kms. They now call it an 11k and have pulled the finish line back to the mount surf club.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I hope you enjoyed my 2e+4E+2E run the other day.

You know, 90% of trolls are bad trolls, but you're a good troll.

Brew - you couldn't run at T pace because there were people on the path??? I know 2019 was the BOTT year, but come on!

Elizabeth - definitely make sure to taper properly into this thing, you have a great shot at a PR so don't go running some silly workout on Wednesday just because you recover well!

Steve - I gotta be honest: I think this is a bad plan. First, you've been putting all of your eggs in this one basket for about 6 months at this point. When it comes to racing anything shorter than a marathon, you want to be able to take multiple cracks at it. Maybe you feel you can't run multiple half marathons, but you should try to grab a 5K or 10K PR along the way. Mark does that a lot, and so do I.

Second, for your only race to be a "fun run" gives you an excuse just to start bailing when the going gets tough 75% of the way in. Yes, there may be some fast people in it, but if you go in with a different mindset, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Third, remember what Darkwave said about learning how to race, especially knowing how to answer those difficult questions that pop up mid race. If you don't really race multiple times, you just don't know how to do that.

For a race that is 12 weeks away, I would race a minimum of twice before then, if not three times. You are not sacrificing your training by doing so: in fact, consider practicing racing a key component of your training. It's a mistake I made for a couple of years by thinking that running races was going to hurt training (since you taper in/out of the race), but the fact of the matter is you both learn how to race AND still stimulate key systems while racing. It's not a waste of a day fitness wise.

Zebano - nice little trolling of your club mate. Thank you for the report!

Piwi - although I love you being here, it does increase the risk of this returning this thread to the reality show known as "Keeping up with the (Steve) Joneses"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Markey Mark SO 40% of a 5k sucks. Excellent. At least it's more than just the last 3 miles of redline in a half like JMac suggests proves I'm not sandbagging.

Brew - you need to count suckage post race as well. A 5K sucks for 7-8 minutes and then for a few seconds after the finish line. You are then fresh to go run a long run if needed be. A half marathon makes you walk downstairs funny for a couple of days and forces a couple of weeks of recovery. Put it in other words, I could run a 5k every week.

Elizabeth - Is it possible that the temperatures were too warm on race day? What you describe is exactly what happened to me after racing 2 half marathons in warm weather.

I’ve melted during the race, but was fine the very next day.

Super speedy recovery can be a combination of being freaky strong (like Mark), not being able to run it to the max due to external conditions (trail/heat) amongst other things. It looks like you are on the other end of the spectrum compared to me.

Mark - awesome, another win, it must’ve felt amazing again!

Keen - that happened to me a few times now. Twice it was in the trapeze area (neck/shoulder) and the other one was in the lower back. It’s horrible and only muscle relaxant pills make it work for me.

Steve - It might be okay since you’re only doing a tempo per week but 3 months out is way too much time to be upping the pressure on your body. Make sure you let the stronger stuff for the last 6 weeks.

Me - you guys are talking about physics right? I remember studying that roughly 23 years ago. I don’t remember much else…

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

You know, 90% of trolls are bad trolls, but you're a good troll.

Brew - you couldn't run at T pace because there were people on the path??? I know 2019 was the BOTT year, but come on!

Imagine the whole family (mom, dad, dog, grandma and grandpa, plus the baby in the stroller) out for a walk on a multi use path and someone needs to tie their shoe so they block the whole path ignoring me coming from behind (even when part of their party looks directly at me and does nothing) and the family riding bikes from the other direction. Add in dog walkers with the stupid "extendo retracato" leashes (that aren't EVER locked) and the the old married couple just out for their usual walk and make it happen every 1,000m on a 3 mile loop all because "it's such a nice day out we should go for a walk." Now tell me you want to do some 6x1T in it, or just do T work the next day when everyone is back at work and things are back to normal. You East Coast people have it easy with your designated areas of recreation, and public 1 mile races on unclosed roads. It's wild out West. Also, I REALLY had to poop, and again didn't have the workout scheduled, or thought of, and I already did TWO workouts incorrectly I figured I should know what I'm doing before I do it.

You actually said to start doing more Interval work, correct? For the April half I'm thinking1:26Tight lippedx could be possible if the last 6x5 min T wasn't too bad. VO2 Max, aerobic power, VDOT 54 so 4:25 for the 1,200 with a 3 minute rest. Sounds like a workout to do on a day that doesn't suck. oh and you were spot on with your comment on the marathon thread. Less training, more finger pointing.

Flavio 7-8 minutes after the race isn't a big deal. I once (twice) suffered for over an hour IN a race. Chicago 2017 I pulled the plug at half, and Mt. Charleston April 2019 brought the suck for at LEAST the last hour trying for a BQ at 7:00/mi pace and coming home with a 3:05:22...plus walking after that specific race made me reevaluate how racing a marathon should feel.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Imagine the whole family (mom, dad, dog, grandma and grandpa, plus the baby in the stroller) out for a walk on a multi use path and someone needs to tie their shoe so they block the whole path ignoring me coming from behind (even when part of their party looks directly at me and does nothing) and the family riding bikes from the other direction. Add in dog walkers with the stupid "extendo retracato" leashes (that aren't EVER locked) and the the old married couple just out for their usual walk and make it happen every 1,000m on a 3 mile loop all because "it's such a nice day out we should go for a walk." Now tell me you want to do some 6x1T in it, or just do T work the next day when everyone is back at work and things are back to normal. You East Coast people have it easy with your designated areas of recreation, and public 1 mile races on unclosed roads. It's wild out West. Also, I REALLY had to poop, and again didn't have the workout scheduled, or thought of, and I already did TWO workouts incorrectly I figured I should know what I'm doing before I do it.

Thank you for explaining what Central Park is every single weekend when I go for a run and complete my T work . Running that 12 miles at marathon pace this Saturday when it was mid 50's in February was a work of art in the area of dodging people at sub 6 pace.

Re: the 2020 marathon thread, that place is sort of a toxic mess right now, it's a shame because when good training topics come up, it can be very good.

Yes, I'm doing more interval work, got my last deadly Vo2 max workout tonight though as my Half is in 2.5 weeks so I don't want to do another one after this.

Finally, for a half marathon, I would at least get a 3x2 mile T workout in at some point as your "test" workout to see if you're ready. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you only do 1K repeats, not 1200s. I think 1200s only make sense for faster runners. The rest is too short for that length of an interval, and you're running way too long at 4:25. You'll get the same benefit with 1K repeats and not as much punishment on the body.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - You suffered for an hour in two separate marathons? Oh, the horror! I can match that in just a single marathon - please see Dallas 2019!

JMac - You're certainly right about the marathon thread. I miss sub-3:20.

I'm doing much better overall. My legs didn't feel too tight for my final workout this morning, and my back/neck was doing better as well - perhaps 75% after going to the chiro yesterday. I just got back from another appointment and feel even better now. Might do one more Thursday just for good measure. 
                        The only thing I'm not feeling good about now is the forecast - it's now supposed to be low 50's (11C) at the start to mid-60s by finish (17.7C) and the wind is now supposed to start at 14mph (22.5 km/h) and go up from there. That last part is really what I'm not happy about given about the middle half will be into the wind.
                        Aside from drafting there's nothing I can really do about the wind, so it is what it is. I'm freakin' pumped to race again - especially since I'm feeling really good overall right now.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

Finally, for a half marathon, I would at least get a 3x2 mile T workout in at some point as your "test" workout to see if you're ready. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you only do 1K repeats, not 1200s. I think 1200s only make sense for faster runners. The rest is too short for that length of an interval, and you're running way too long at 4:25. You'll get the same benefit with 1K repeats and not as much punishment on the body.

JMac,

I know there's not a huge difference between T pace and HM pace but for us mere mortals, it does exist. Are you recommending 3x2T as a test workout at T or goal HM pace? Also since I'm already asking for clarification, how much recovery are you taking? If this is JD inspired I'm sure it's 2 minutes rest but if this is inspired by Hudson, Humpries (Hanson plan)  or someone else that might not be the case. I've never had a buildup to a HM that I really loved so I don't have a personal opinion here, though I'm clearly hoping to change that this year.

Brew  - I also have to pile on here. You must have had a seriously successful first marathon if you only suffered for an hour. IIRC through that haze of pain, I knew I was in trouble on the starting line but at mile 8 it really hit home what I was in for as  I eventually stumbled to a 4:29 debut.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - although I love you being here, it does increase the risk of this returning this thread to the reality show known as "Keeping up with the (Steve) Joneses"

Is that Nathan Jones’ cousin?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - You suffered for an hour in two separate marathons? Oh, the horror! I can match that in just a single marathon - please see Dallas 2019!

You walked for like 4 hours. ANYONE can do that in a marathon unless there is a medical reason they physically can't. Don't EVEN compare walking to actually RUNNING a marathon.  Didn't you run in some wind during training? I was worried about the wind and rain for CIM, never looked at the humidity and it ended up being a nice day for a race.

Jmac maybe it is easier when you're focused on the wind and not the people. I figured the Park was a little less populated when you're running as late as you do. I've seen it in movies. Just watch out for Taxi cabs with a brick of gold in the back driving through. What is with you and the 2 mile threshold repeats? "I hate this workout. I think everyone should do it." It's such a good workout Hanson's copies it in their marathon cycle. I'm totally doing 1,200s. 

zebano first marathon was an absolute suffer fest. Cliched first marathon hitting the wall hard, going out too fast, thinking "I have 2 more hours of running??!??!!" at half way, and under training. 3:56 with walking aiming for a 3:30 because I probably took a half marathon time and doubled it or something. The ones I suffered in (recently) were actually running and suffering which I guess at this point I see as different from suffering from stupidly under training.

VDOT 53.37 

watsonc123

+1 to JMac re Steve racing some 5 and 10ks - it helps.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25