Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - I've done a 10km already and there's no way my mindset in a race would be to take it easy, regardless of how it's marketed.  It's also a popular race so is the closest I'll get to the atmosphere at the Christchurch Marathon.  I've got 5 races scheduled this year after running 1 last year and 2 the year before...and you still want more Smile  I was thinking about putting all eggs in one basket the other day, and imagined how I'd feel if I got sick 2 days before the race.  Sure it would suck but I've got the South Island half 2 months later which will become a goal race if anything goes wrong with the Christchurch half.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Hey, now! I only walked for just shy of 3 hours. After running for 2...
      I actually do have a bit of practice running in the wind. Why, just this morning the wind and hills turned a tempo effort mile into a slightly-slower-than-marathon-pace mile. Even with hills, it was fun running with the wind once I turned around!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - OK so JMac is bang on when he says that nothing prepares you for racing, like racing (my version is "You have to run a race, to run a race").  You'll get real benefits in terms of getting into a racing mindset and testing yourself out.  I also think it makes me more relaxed on race day because you get used to being around that race environment.

Personally I would suggest including a 5k or 10k 2-4 weeks out from Christchurch half - they don't take too much of a toll on the body and the recovery is quite fast, so you can work it into your training quite easily.  There's a huge benefit there that you just can't replicate in workouts, even if it's just something like Hagley Parkrun.

Running the 14k as a tempo could well be worthwhile but you'll get different benefits out of running shorter distances too, that will pay off in the HM.  I'm not trying to turn this into a pile-up and it's totally your call as to what will work best for you, but for me personally I've had massive benefit from running a 10k race 1-3 weeks out from a goal half.

JMac / Keen - yeah the sub-3 thread has turned rough lately.  I find it hard to keep track of because there's so many runners on there too.  It's a shame because there have been some really interesting and helpful discussions on there in the past.

Zebano - nice RR.  I agree on process goals too.  There's a lot of things about an outcome that you can't necessarily control but if you get the process right in terms of training structure, consistency, recovery, sleep, all those things, then often the outcome just takes care of itself.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I definitely understand the logic which is why I've added some races - I'll race the 14km all out, I won't be quite in the shape to call it a tempo at that point.

My body just doesn't recover as quickly and you and JMac, and 95% of my injuries come in short fast runs which is why I'm a bit reticent.  I think I'd rather do a 10km than a 5km, so I will check and see if any suit although to me, the weekend long run is more important 4 weeks out (and less risky). 

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you only do 1K repeats, not 1200s. 

I might should have listened. I also might should have AT LEAST TRIED the last one. The whole "answer the question" think came into play for number 5. I bailed on 6 because of time, and it might have gone poorly, although the direction it went was usually "easier" to finish.

8x1,200 at VO2MAX.....FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKK that. Maybe on my enemies. six. TOPS. THIS is what I remember VO2 max to feel like and ALL I'm thinking is "how am I going to do this for an entire 5k in a few weeks?" holy sheet.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

My body just doesn't recover as quickly and you and JMac, and 95% of my injuries come in short fast runs which is why I'm a bit reticent.  I think I'd rather do a 10km than a 5km, so I will check and see if any suit although to me, the weekend long run is more important 4 weeks out (and less risky). 

Fair enough.  It's not worth the risk of injury if that's something you're prone to.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - certainly, do a 10K if you're worried about speed. But you should do multiple 10Ks, not just one. That's all.

Brew - where in the world did you get 8x1200 from? I feel like every run you do of JD, you don't execute properly, either the amount of reps, the speed, or the rest. Not trying to just be mean (this isn't the sub 3 forum!), just trying to help you as much as possible. This goes back to what I said about you HAVE to read the book. He explicitly limits Vo2 Max to 8% per week, which would mean you have to be running 75+ miles per week to complete this type of workout. I did 7x1200 once and I would never do it again. You just wore your body down with almost no benefit of going beyond the 5th rep.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Is that Nathan Jones’ cousin?

Aren't you all cousins in NZ?

Zebano - I follow the idea of a 5:1 work ratio on T work. So yes, you should run that 3x2 workout at T pace, not HM pace. If your T pace is around 6:30 for example, you should complete your rest in about 2:30 instead of 2. The other way to do this, which Keen follows, is to run a 3x10 minute workout at T with 2 minute rests.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Aren't you all cousins in NZ?

OK that comment just earned you a solid 2 weeks weather complaining from me 

Brew - nice effort to try and pull that sub-3 forum back to talking about actual running, rather than arguing about hearsay about running.  Not sure whether it'll work, but it was laudable.

I had a short intervals workout this morning (8 x 600 @5k pace, 4 x 200 @ mile pace).  Inspired me to crank out the Saucony Fastwitch racing flats which have gotten sad and lonely in the cupboard in the Vaporfly era.  Felt nice to be close to the road!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Steve - certainly, do a 10K if you're worried about speed. But you should do multiple 10Ks, not just one. That's all.

Brew - where in the world did you get 8x1200 from? I feel like every run you do of JD, you don't execute properly, either the amount of reps, the speed, or the rest. Not trying to just be mean (this isn't the sub 3 forum!), just trying to help you as much as possible. This goes back to what I said about you HAVE to read the book. He explicitly limits Vo2 Max to 8% per week, which would mean you have to be running 75+ miles per week to complete this type of workout. I did 7x1200 once and I would never do it again. You just wore your body down with almost no benefit of going beyond the 5th rep.

8x1200 came from something I thought elisabeth said she tried, or was going to try for her upcoming half.

I don't take what you say as mean in regard to training. Hope you know that. Neither here or the sub 3 thread because I honestly believe you're trying to help me. Just like most others here. I'm trying to learn and I'm just going by what I understand the book to be. I read the 8% rule.

page 61 Training session D 46-55 miles. 5x1,200 (or 5x4 min H) at I pace with 3 minute jog.

Page 84 VDOT 54 4:25/1,200.

3-5 minutes at 5k pace.

3.73 miles is 8% of 46.5 miles. WHIIIIIICH apparently needs to be my weekly goal now.

I did 5x1,200 NOT 8X1,200. I MAYBE could have pulled off 6, but the truth was number 5 was getting REALLY bad, I knew the workout was 5x1,200k, and I believed I'd regret trying number 6 about halfway through and PROBABLY would have felt like garbage even now 4 hours later. The last one was just an easy feeling jog back to the office. Kind of started too quickly and realized it soon enough.

Where am I failing? Other than not doing ANYTHING at Tempo pace because I'm scared of 6:25s.

Marky Mark If I could delete the entire thing it might have been done at this point. Seriously...it isn't face page. I avoide the page of faces for a reason. I'm almost avoiding this entire website like some others I probably pushed away with my attitude last year, and I'm just coming back daily (hourly) to try and stay motivated for my half marathon goal. I was SO PUMPED after CIM and now everything feels like "meh, I BQ'd. Life is good" and LAST time I had the same attitude coming BACK to marathon training was brutal.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ugh sorry Brew totally misunderstood. The running gods punished me by making me fail my VO2 Max workout today. You're good!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Brew - No, I meant 7, 8 minutes during the race. Afterwards it’s just the time to catch your breath, 10 seconds and you’re good to go.

I agree with you, that park you’re running is not good for workouts. I’d try to find somewhere else if at all possible.

I noticed you’re laying the hammer on the brats over at the marathon thread. I say hammer them even harder!

You know that scene in the movies where someone shoots at somebody else's legs to make them dance? Do that 

Me - so I found a place to do workouts that is just spectacular. It’s a bike lane that goes from downtown all the way to the beach, roughly 9km.

All flat. Unless I hit a bike head first I should be alright. It should make for some nice long runs too.

I'll head over there tomorrow during my run to investigate.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ugh sorry Brew totally misunderstood. The running gods punished me by making me fail my VO2 Max workout today. You're good!

I figured you latched on to the 8x1200 and just wanted to make sure I did it right, because doing THAT workout wrong would SUCK A FATTY D.

fail? ouch. (insert inspirational quote about failure being better than quitting or some shit) If it makes you feel better I ruined 2 pots of coffee this morning and needed a third attempt to get it right. Kind of like my half marathon/5k/50 miler training. Oh and Reddit hates me. I have a negative 99 karma rating. Oh and you have a bad time at failing at things just wait until you have a kid and don't ask someone about how to (insert parenting decision here) and you learn how much of a failure you are.

Flavio I have a LOW tolerance for bullshit and drama. I'm a very blunt person in life (some say mean, I say direct) and dealing with some drama from the past where someone's feelings got hurt really doesn't seem conducive to training. I noticed my question how "can you explain how this is helpful to marathon training" went completely ignored. Weird how the direct question where the simple answer is "it doesn't." goes unanswered.

edit:

Oh and I was thinking about JMac on my way to work today. I was actually considering doing 3x2 mile at HMP this weekend. It would have to be Sunday since i'm "single dad" all day Saturday...unless Grandma wants to watch the demon seed for 2 hours while he is in a parent inflicted mandated comatose state.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I was actually considering doing 3x2 mile at HMP this weekend.

You mean 3x2T right? 3x2 at HMP is for wimps 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

You mean 3x2T right? 3x2 at HMP is for wimps 

*Checks I'm not in the marathon thread*

2024 Races: