Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Best of luck to KeenDarkwave and Elizabeth for races this weekend!!

Darkwave - always a bit of a lottery as to whether bands tour here in New Zealand.  A lot of bands will tour Australia, but whether they add a NZ show on as well is a bit 50/50.  I've flown to Australia to see bands in the past, though (it helped that my best friend lived in Sydney for a number of years).

Flavio - I do think there's benefit from training yourself to run hard on tired legs but my recovery ability helps pull off those back to back workouts too.  It'll never be two really hard sessions back to back, normally one will be moderate (or shorter intervals, or long hill repeats), and the other might be a harder one (longer/progressive intervals or a long tempo like yesterday).

Zebano - NZ's population is over 10x that of Iceland 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Just echoing Mark's best wishes to the racers this weekend, Elizabeth, CK and darkwave.

flavio - interesting.  I don't think this is a true trail race.  Technically, it's on a trail but it's very well maintained.

I see the Kiwis are now being accused of cousin interaction...at least it's not as bad as that other thread which has now descended into comparisons with actual criminals.  Crikey.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

flavio - interesting.  I don't think this is a true trail race.  Technically, it's on a trail but it's very well maintained.

Yeah, that's true.  If it's on the trails they use for some of the Queenstown Marathon (or part of them), they're trails but not trails.  The surface will be a bit slower than road but not as tough as "technical" trails.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Music: I’ve seen all the concerts I ever wanted to see. Maybe another Rammstein concert in the future, if they band together again.

Rakers - I’m on the opposite side of the spectrum with a huge arch under my feet so I guess I won’t be of much help here.

Mark - I read an article by Renato Canova once and he mentioned doing some “super blocks” (not sure what he called them) for his elite athletes.

That would involve a block of 3 or 4 days of harder workouts with a few extra easy days afterwards.

Naturally with them being elites they could handle these blocks every once ia while during the training block.

I mostly ask because I’m very puzzled by your seemingly ability to recover from anything so quickly.

I wonder if it’s that you recover quickly (Wolverine abilities) or you don’t tire as much (due to strength).

Or it might very well be cause your weekly mileage is not as high, so perhaps you’re going at 70% of your max possible weekly mileage, which allows you to do faster stuff back to back.

In other words, I wonder if I could do the same if I cut back my mileage a bit.

Mostly hypothetical of course, I don’t think I’d ever try it.

Brew - maybe the McKeons are expecting twins or triplets? That's why he referred to them in the plural...

me - Back at strength training today after over a month of slacking. I had a sore shoulder for a while, then I got a stiff neck, then it was too close to the race to risk anything. It felt good to be back at it even though I was doing maybe 10% of the normal routine.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JamesD

JamesD

Flavio/Mark - I’ve read in a few places over the years that DOMS and maybe muscle damage in general are worse two days after a hard workout than the first day after, and that for this reason some people prefer to do workouts on consecutive days rather than two days apart.  (DPS will know more, but I've also read that for U.S. college runners it's typical to have workouts on Tuesdays and Fridays - so three days apart, which is consistent with the idea that two days apart is not ideal.)  I believe Salazar had Galen Rupp and some of his other NOP runners doing workouts on consecutive days, and even running workouts an hour after races sometimes. 

At least at my current fitness level, I'm more affected the day after a workout than than two days after, but I rarely do two workouts in a week, so it's not like I'd be thinking about doing two on consecutive days anyway.   

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

zebano

back to back workouts - Pfitz also seems to believe in these but he pairs them up a bit differently. You'll mostly see a harder day followed by a (medium) long run. i.e. LT into MLR. IIRC he mentions something about supercompensation which is gibberish to me but sounds like hey you did more work so you'll get a stronger response from your body? I personally have tried it and have felt rough doing so.

Music- I'm not much into live concerts unless they're free. I just don't get enough enjoyment out of them. I used to attend a bunch of Irish Fests which I like because the beer prices have been reasonable I'm a masochist who actually really enjoys lots of bands covering the exact same songs (more to the point I really like the combination of fiddle and ridiculously upbeat folk music).

Steve - come to the darkside! Go find a real trail race, once you do you won't go back =)

Good luck to all the racers !

Is everyone pumped for the trials? I'm trying to figure out how I can attend my daughter's robotics competition, watch the trials and celebrate the suddenly nice weather by getting to the track all on the same day! Oh yeah I also have to tune up a couple of bikes because my son wants to go for a ride. =) These are good problems to have.

Flavio - good luck with the strength training. I made it 5 weeks of 2020 going 3 times per week then fell off hard. I need to step that back up. I always advocate only 70-75% effort the first day or two back just so the DOMs don't ruin your easy days. YMMV.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Daniels is a fan of back to back workouts for many of the reasons stated.

And no, taking it one child at a time!

I posted an injury question over in the marathon thread if anyone dares enter that place. I'd appreciate answers over here too 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

mrakers I personally find shoes to be incredibly personal. Just find what's comfortable for you. FWIW I find the NB 1500s to be kind of heavy and clunky and I've been running in their Zante Pursuits instead for speedwork. They feel much better (a lot like the Zante 1s actually). I know specialty running shoe stores are stupidly pricey but sometimes it's worth going in and trying on 15 pairs and buying a couple to support them and then returning to buying cheap shoes online as the ones you tried slowly get replaced by newer models.

In my shoe issues: I just threw out some Escalantes that hit 650 miles because they ripped and my other pair just hit 500 miles. I'm going to need a new, cushioned, easy run shoe soon and I'm not sure I want to return to the Escalante. I think I'm going to try some Hokas but I have a wide forefoot which is what has kept me away from them in the past. I've heard certain models are better but I need to investigate. In exciting news, I signed up for a vertical treadmill challenge next week! 15% grade, 5 minutes you set the pace. The man and women who go the furthest get a free pair of shoes (i.e. I don't have to worry about this) and there's also pizza and beer and a chance to see some clubmates!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Oh no doubt about the personal thing with shoes. I always cringe when I see people ask “What’s the best pair of running shoes???” I have 6 different pairs I cycle through. The Inspires are my favorite. I have a pair of Hoka Arahi they before 100 miles the heel had worn all the way through. But I don’t take that as a knock on Hoka, but instead my fat feet heel striking. 

Racers are just a different category to me. I don’t get all the science and whatnot behind shoes and what it could possibly do to me for the long distance races. So before I bought the “fad racers” that have been proven to be great shoes, I wanna make sure they don’t sideline me.

mrakers I personally find shoes to be incredibly personal. Just find what's comfortable for you. FWIW I find the NB 1500s to be kind of heavy and clunky and I've been running in their Zante Pursuits instead for speedwork. They feel much better (a lot like the Zante 1s actually). I know specialty running shoe stores are stupidly pricey but sometimes it's worth going in and trying on 15 pairs and buying a couple to support them and then returning to buying cheap shoes online as the ones you tried slowly get replaced by newer models.

In my shoe issues: I just threw out some Escalantes that hit 650 miles because they ripped and my other pair just hit 500 miles. I'm going to need a new, cushioned, easy run shoe soon and I'm not sure I want to return to the Escalante. I think I'm going to try some Hokas but I have a wide forefoot which is what has kept me away from them in the past. I've heard certain models are better but I need to investigate. In exciting news, I signed up for a vertical treadmill challenge next week! 15% grade, 5 minutes you set the pace. The man and women who go the furthest get a free pair of shoes (i.e. I don't have to worry about this) and there's also pizza and beer and a chance to see some clubmates!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - That is a puzzler. Were it me, I'd keep going according to schedule and give that mini taper a chance to clear it up.

Flavio - Thing still going well in Italy? Figured your way around all the red tape yet?Good that you're back to at least some of the strength training.

Zebano - I haven't had those issues with the Escalante. They've been my go-to shoes for nearly 3 years now.

Things have been in a bit of a rush around here trying to get ready for the next week. 2 soccer games this evening (DD1), one early tomorrow morning (DD2), then dropping DD1 off with my mom (who is staying at my place to watch the kids while we're gone) for a tournament (2 more games today, 1-2 tomorrow) while heading to Ft. Worth. DW and I will be stopping about half way back after the race to stay at a B&B for a bit (anniversary), so I'll likely go quiet until later next week.
                      The forecast continues to trend warmer (57/13.8*) and windier (17mph/27kmh) at the start. Roughly the middle half will be into the wind, the other portions with the wind. Looking on the bright side, at least it's not going to be so humid we'll have fog at race time like Dallas. Looking forward to getting a good race in!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zebano - Maybe you went a bit too hard too fast on the strength training?
                        I usually have a strong case of DOMS the day after (sometimes 2 days after) but not during the exercise,
                        So I need to be extra careful. As such I did ridiculous things like 3x2 reps of pull-ups today

Re: shoes, have you tried the Duo? I find it a bit stiffer than the Escalante so perhaps more oriented towards fast stuff.
                        On Hokas, I’ve recently tried the Clifton 6 at the store, they're almost as wide as I’d like.

Do notice they have a wider variation available though (size 2E I think).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Keen, Elizabeth and Darkwave - good luck.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Keen, I agree it's a head scratcher, after more research I actually think it's shin splints which I can't believe impacts people who have been running a lot.

Keen - best of luck! Here's some advice though after my latest marathon: the absolute worst part of a marathon for me is miles 13-20, not 20+. It's during this time period where if you're not paying attention, the pace can slowly start getting away from you because you let up on the effort. I remember coming through the halfway mark at CIM thinking "I'm okay, but boy, I feel like I'm working harder than I should." In reality, clearly I was not, as I actually negative split the race. But I easily could have just let things go.

Why I'm mentioning this to you is that it's ESPECIALLY important if you're going to be into a headwind at that part of the race. You really need to be on your A+ mental game in a headwind at those points.

Elizabeth - best of luck! I think we all feel good about you getting that PR, so go get it!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac that's very true about effort during a marathon. You often here it should feel easy in the first half but if you are in great shape you should be feeling effort the whole way.

Zebano the NB Zantes feel to me like I could run anything in them from recovery to intervals to a marathon.

Flavio that train delay race was one of our City to surf races and we have a big port with lots of little side train tracks off to the port.

The local 5k also ran over one track but it was only about 100m from the start finish. I remember one time the bells going off but I got over before the barrier arms came down 

Steve we did the cousin jokes on another forum I'm on and we aimed it at the Taranaki guys  .It wasn't a running forum though.

Had a terrible run yesterday just no energy and felt hungry. Considering I only run 5 miles it was a bit embarrassing.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good luck Elisabeth. I look forward to the results on the orange app.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22