Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Welcome JMac!!  Stick around, you'll get good advice here and plenty of motivation.  We can even help you find a downhill half-marathon to get that time down.

watson - that sucks.  Be cautious, my experience of hamstrings is that they are very niggly and adding another week of rest after you think it's recovered is a good option.  You're right about the 10km, I think that will be my strategy.  The only spanner in the works is it is a small race and last year the winner only did 42 so I might get suckered into racing.  The year before the winner did 33 though so who knows who will show up.

Corey welcome back.  Huge week!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Welcome JMac!!  Stick around, you'll get good advice here and plenty of motivation.  We can even help you find a downhill half-marathon to get that time down.

This is quality RA right here.

To get my motivation up given my 3 weeks off of training, put me down for a PR at the NYC Half on March 15. Jack Daniels says I'm down about 10 minutes on my marathon PR time with all the time I took off, so we'll see if I can get that all back and then some over the next 8 weeks!

Corey - monster week, can't believe how much you're running given where you were, but BE CAREFUL.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Watson - Sucks about the injury. Is it muscular or tendon related?

Flavio - In your strength work, has it been focused mainly on major muscle groups or how detailed has your assessment and strength training been? Just asking since my shoulder issue I'm dealing with now is targeting very small and specific muscles, but that might be different when we are dealing with running muscles.

Trying a short run this afternoon with easy walking warmup and cooldown. Hope it works out great.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

I know a couple of good ones 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Corey, Marco, JMac - welcome back!!

And a big welcome to all our other new joiners too.

Watson - bummer on the injury.  I hope it won't keep you out for too long.

Steve - I'd say it's a perfect chance for a genuine HMP tempo.  One of my learnings from last year was to keep it focused on the goal races and don't get carried away with the tune-up races.  Like others have said, if you're feeling good with 2-3km to go, maybe try and kick it up a gear.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark yep, I think I'll keep it sensible.  Based on last night when I included 2 2km blocks of HMP, I don't know that I'll have much choice about how fast I go.  Admittedly I didn't do the first block until I'd done 8km of easy pace, and it was into the wind.  It will be interesting to see how easy it is to hold HMP for 10km with a mini-taper (probably just a 5km on the Saturday), with not too much speed work behind me.  The base shouldn't be an issue though.

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Brew - sure thing, just make sure you don’t put too many spices in the soup.

Jmac - I was reading jay-em-cee for the other poster so you’re good. I’m so glad you’re back, we have this quota for 3 sandbaggers and Mark and DPS had already returned. We're now good to go!

Marco - hi! You should invent some workouts that can be done in the airplane 

Steve - why don’t you run the race all out?

Corey - welcome back!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

flavio - when I scheduled it the point was always to use it as part of training for the half.  Although I don't have a good answer to your question.  If I was targeting this race I'd be going for sub 40, but I don't think I'm in that shape so my goal HMP probably would require going all out right now.

2024 Races:

watsonc123

I think the hamstring is muscular.  I've never injured my hamstrings so this is new territory. Also trying to figure out what caused it, to prevent it happening again.

The days were:

Sat 0

Sun 13.5km incl. 4km tempo on rolling terrain

Mon 0, travel back from holiday.  Around 7 hours in car.

Tue 10km easy incl. Strides

Wed Intervals and Injury

I'm wondering if Monday's travel might have tightened things and might be part of the trigger?  There was nothing unusual about my intervals, they were being run a little on the slower side.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - a hamstring issue is a little unusual for distance running.  It tends to be explosive movements or changes of pace that trigger hamstring issues i.e. more common for sprinters or in team sports.  Sometimes it can be a referred problem from lower back tightness as well - that might link up to spending 7 hours in the car.  I'll defer to Kimba though since she is the thread expert on such matters!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

From the Internet.

Flavio and zebano - embarrassingly enough, I was on an indoor track, and I did consult my watch.  I knew exactly what I was supposed to do.  To be fair, my first 200m was in 45 seconds (6:00 min/mile pace), so I slowed down a little bit, to 6:30.  Once I get in a rhythm, it's VERY difficult for me to change it.  I was happy to have slowed to 6:30 within the work-out, but still overall annoyed that I messed up the work-out with the long rest.  And to be completely honest, this is a long established problem for me.  To compound the problem, my coach and I are co-dependent.  He wasn't supposed to be at this work-out with me, and I have told him I am doing my own thing for now (following Daniels).  But he was there, and he timed me, and he always comes up with some rationale for why it's okay to go faster.  I try to explain to him what I'm trying to do, but it doesn't matter.  I just can't be with him when I'm trying to do threshold type training.  It doesn't work.  I'm not making excuses - I know I need to do better.  But just trying to explain how this can happen despite the best of intentions.  In the future, I don't plan to do any of these types of work-outs with him around if I can help it.  And again, I know the responsibility ultimately lies with me, but he's a very persuasive guy.  Ask Lauren; she knows.

YUP! I'm persuasive right back to him though, so we have a bit of a different coach-athlete relationship, due in part to my injury history and my preferred mileage level (higher than a lot of other club members). I can take advantage of the "you can run faster!" type support when I need it, but he tends to trust me when I say "I don't feel like xyz is a good idea for me today because [whatever reason], so I'm going to do abc instead". Fall marathon training was fun, at times he was just, like, standing back and watching me try all kinds of ridiculous shit, lol, but it worked out well for me!

Flavio:

Marco - hi! You should invent some workouts that can be done in the airplane 

That would definitely get me an edge in competition! I  am in London today and will fly to Dusseldorf tomorrow, back on Saturday... I am trying to go to the gym tonight, but I have so much work to do as well... let's see what happens Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

From the Internet.

Thought I was going to have a mental-beatdown battle of a tempo workout today but it went shockingly well! 3 mile warmup, then 2 miles in 6:38, 6:36 without too much fuss. Was expecting to fight my way to a couple of 6:59 miles just to say it was sub-7 and then pout about neglecting tempo work for the rest of the afternoon, so that was a pleasant surprise! Would have continued on just to see if it got harder for a third tempo mile if I weren't nursing the recent hip thing, but no sense in pushing it until I'm sure that I'm 100% again. 3 minute jog to check in with the hip, which was still good, and then 4x 30 sec hard/90 sec jog for a little turnover. Easy cooldown after.

The real test will be if my hip still feels good tomorrow for an easy run. I'll be confident that I've put the issue behind me if that is the case. And I'm feeling real good about that 6:52(ish) pace for 90 min half now!

kimba

I’ve been massaging and resting.  Seems to be on the mend.  I’ll test it out with a short easy run tomorrow.  Thanks!

I've just (hopefully) got over nagging calf pain. It took a few lower volume weeks which probably would've happened anyway with the holidays and travel. It was a first for me as well. Get after it with massage and give it time off right away. I tried to come back after just two days rest when it first popped up and it returned the next day. Ended up having to take two four-day breaks (plenty of walking tho) for it to bugger off completely. Good Luck!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

kimba

Zebano - thanks for that Jenkins quote.  I should remind myself of this frequently!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013)