Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Level 1 has the 500 mass gathering limit.  At Level 2, it is "further restrictions on mass gatherings".

And as Steve says, the bigger races cannot run with 500 or less people due to all the overhead costs.  Also, I think the 500 would need to include first aid people, race marshals too (you could maybe ban people watching).  So that would be maybe 450 runners.

I'm hoping I'll this year is some club runs and some clubs races - I'm not talking inter club, just our club having some races.  And that requires Level 1, maybe Level 2 depending on how strict they go.

We need elimination.  Given international travel is almost zero, I don't think there's a difference between that and community transmission.

Level 2 was 100 max. indoors.  The Athletics Auckland meet that hosted NZ 10,000m Champs went ahead under those restrictions (it did not change outdoor gatherings).

I'm not talking about big races, it's blatantly obvious that events like Christchurch or Auckland or Queenstown couldn't go ahead with a cap.  I'm talking about the small to mid size races that might either be small enough already (Sri Chinmoy) or capable of a few adjustments so they are small enough (e.g. Omaha Half).  Club races would be fine under level 2, depending on the cap.

Split starts could allow you more than 500 runners across an event if you broke it up so there were no more than say 300-400 on the start line at one time.  NZ Road Race Champs probably gets close to 350 entrants but because it's broken up into smaller races across a 5-6 hour period there's no more than 60-70 in any one race (and most are well below that).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark -  I do appreciate your optimism!

The Sri Chinmoy in Hagley Park in September is probably my next realistic contender - South Island half in early August seems unlikely.  The problem is, there may be a ton of people who turn up and the course can't handle it.  It might not just be serious racers either, given the number of new runners I've seen out and about.  It's great to see.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Mark -  I do appreciate your optimism!

The Sri Chinmoy in Hagley Park in September is probably my next realistic contender - South Island half in early August seems unlikely.  The problem is, there may be a ton of people who turn up and the course can't handle it.  It might not just be serious racers either, given the number of new runners I've seen out and about.  It's great to see.

Thanks, Steve.  

This situation won't last forever, it's just a question of how long, really.  At my track session this morning I was reflecting on that and thinking... maybe it's not until Christchurch 2021 that I get to finally tackle the marathon.  If that's the case, I kind of made peace with that and figured I've just got a sh!tload of time to train.

I hope that isn't how things pan out, but right now, Plan A is Rotorua Marathon, Plan B is Auckland Marathon, and Plan C is Christchurch 2021.  And there's various half marathons that could happen along the way too.

Anyway, depending what restrictions exist come August (which is a big if), South Island Half is one of the races that might go ahead under a capacity limit of 500 for outdoor gatherings.  They may need to cap entries to be safe but by the looks of things they were well short of 500 last year.  Of course that's all a big 'if' because who knows what rules will be in place at that time.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if we ended up in a situation where smaller races are able to go ahead but bigger ones can't just due to numbers.

I do think there will be a lot of pent-up demand once events start happening again - not just from current runners but also from people who have gotten into it during the lockdown and then decide to give an event a go.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Waton-I probably should have cut back more. glad to see you back at it.

Zebano-We did not create the strava wars but that is the general idea.  Pretty fun as our team is slowly taking over all the local strava segments which will likely get people riled up.  Way to walk the red line...hope you stay healthy. My theory is you can peak for 3 weeks....at that point the races began to drain you and you are losing the benefits of previous workouts so you got to start building again.

Keen- I wake up and see you have cranked out a run...so i'm like crap...better get the shoes laced up.

btw here is where i'm at for the rolling totals

<colgroup><col width="56" /><col width="40" /></colgroup>
          12 week 84.22
          26 week 77.79
          52 week 67.94

James- I did a mile segment for our strava competition and did a 5:35 while sick last week then bent over and sucked air....so that will be my marker so far...we'll see what you guys do. :-)

Piwikiwi-stick those workouts out.  Doing them solo is a complete mental thing that I know I am usually pretty bad at.  I need someone to chase.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DP those are some fine averages. You and Mark run some impressive workouts on Strava. I will do the 5 x 1000s again next week and slow them by 10 secs per rep and make sure I complete them.

Shoe buying is out right now so I hope you guys are stocked up.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - pro-tip on shoe buying: international parcels entering the NZ mail network will still get delivered.  That stuff all gets airfreighted, so as long as you can get it to NZ, it will get delivered.  There are still airfreight links to Australia and the US, at least.  So, if you can get an Australia or US online retailer to send it to NZ, you will still receive it, even though you may not be able to buy anything from an NZ retailer.  I bought some shoes from Running Warehouse Australia (admittedly a couple days before the lockdown was enacted) and they got delivered once we were in Level 4.  I got a parcel for our neighbour on Tuesday that was from Australia and was wrongly addressed to us

I'm pretty well-stocked, probably 4-5 spare pairs of Kinvara's and a couple pairs of Freedom's stashed so I'll be fine for a little while.

DPS - that mileage is really impressive, it's such a disappointment everything has been canned.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone else see the amazing deals on Running Warehouse?

Addidas Adios 5 for $95 USD

Reebox Runfast Float Ride $150 USD

New Balance 1400 $75.

HOKA ONE ONE for under $100 USD

Nike Zoom Pegasus Turbo 2 for $117 USD.

Apparently all these canceled races have put some shoes on the "affordable" scale and with the President signing $600+ checks for all US Citizens who filed taxes and making under $150K its' going to go QUICK.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Brewing thanks for the headsup on the shoes. They may get even cheaper although I guess people are running more so more demand. To get those shoes to us here in NZ we have to add about $50 freight and tax. Still cheaper than buying locally though 

Mark Running Warehouse Australia doesnt stock Nike very weird.

I'm getting close to needing a daily trainer and a racer.

The New Balance zante pursuits that I use are sort of halfway between a trainer and a speed shoe. I have some Nike Streak shoes that are about done.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Can you order from Joe's new balance outlet in NZ? NB owns the site and they dump their inventory on there. Just bought a lot of fuel cell impulse for $45 last night. Similar to a 890 or zante but their high end foam. I've been running in their propel (hoka like) and rebel (flat) from that line.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JamesD

JamesD

Thanks, Brewing.  Note that the Reebok shoe is the Floatride RunFast Pro, which is Reebok's top-of-the-line racing flat.  It usually goes for $250.  I've been very happy with the other two shoes in that line; I race & do speedwork in the Floatride RunFast, which is about 6-7 ounces and normally $140, and I do most of my easy/medium miles in the Forever Floatride Energy, which is an ounce or two heavier and very durable and bouncy for $99.  The RunFast Pro only has 3mm drop (the other two have around 8 mm), so it would destroy my Achilles, but it also weighs under 4 ounces.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Thanks DP I will check it out.

James under 4 oz would feel amazing. I think the lightest shoe I ever wore was the Nike lunarspider at about 6oz. I love light shoes.

watsonc123

I have:

1 New Balance Zante Pursuit half way through life

1 New Balance Zante Pursuit not worn

1 Adidas Solar Glide 19  just started wearing

1 New Balance Arishi Trail not worn

1 Nike Zoom Fly V2 about halfway through life

My current volume gives me about five years!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks, Brewing.  Note that the Reebok shoe is the Floatride RunFast Pro, which is Reebok's top-of-the-line racing flat.  It usually goes for $250.  I've been very happy with the other two shoes in that line; I race & do speedwork in the Floatride RunFast, which is about 6-7 ounces and normally $140, and I do most of my easy/medium miles in the Forever Floatride Energy, which is an ounce or two heavier and very durable and bouncy for $99.  The RunFast Pro only has 3mm drop (the other two have around 8 mm), so it would destroy my Achilles, but it also weighs under 4 ounces.

I have the Run Fast Pro.  Freakish shoe.  The best way I can describe it is that it combines the flexibility of the Nike Free with the bounce (but not the stiffness or platform) of the Vaporfly.  While weighing slightly more than a sheet of tissue paper.

I actually do not like it for running fast, personally - it's just way too flexible for my tastes.  But others like it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing thanks for the headsup on the shoes. They may get even cheaper although I guess people are running more so more demand. To get those shoes to us here in NZ we have to add about $50 freight and tax. Still cheaper than buying locally though 

Mark Running Warehouse Australia doesnt stock Nike very weird.

I'm getting close to needing a daily trainer and a racer.

The New Balance zante pursuits that I use are sort of halfway between a trainer and a speed shoe. I have some Nike Streak shoes that are about done.

Most americans are just discovering trail running so road shoes aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If only the Alpha Fly wasn't banned from competition. WE, in Freedom Land, MIGHT see a pair for under $230 brand new.

I'm considering doing something stupid on my birthday. A 23 mile loop in town. Non-essential traveling to the starting location (strava segment) required and the Governor has encourage people to get outside and exercise or walk or something. It would be fatass style. My problem is nutrition/aid station planning. I don't know if people would want me coming in mid run asking for water not really concerned with catching COVID-19. The weather is also supposed to be "not ideal fatass running" but I figured I'm tapered (hopefully) enough from injuring my tendon I could at LEAST get my weekly mileage in one run.

Dwave After running in the flyknit upper I'm not sure I'd want MORE flexibility in a shoe. I might as well run in socks with a bunch of Shoe Goo to hold them to my foot at that point. I was VERY tempted to buy them for the sole purpose of being "anit-vaporfly" even though i ran in a nike shoe with fly knit upper and carbon fiber plate that didn't come with a percentage guarantee.

I think not running this week, along with good running weather, has made me slightly upset at the same time more" meh, exercise is stupid since I don't have a race relaxed at the same time. My goal half was to be this weekend. Thankfully it was canceled due to COVID-19 because the weather SUCKS for a goal race. My ultra marathon has NOT be officially canceled so I need to train for that. I've lost all desire for speed work which will make doing it again horrible.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Brewing why aren't you running this week ? Seems about the only thing to do. What about doing that run in your neighborhood and leaving a drink outside your house?

I thought Alphafly has been cleared for sale ? That's what I hear from the reviews.

DW I could probably only handle a 5k in those shoes, maybe 10k.

Watson good to hear the Zantes are in your rotation. I wear them for tempos through to longruns although a bit more protection on a longrun is probably better for me.

They are so damn cheap though.