Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JamesD

JamesD

James D - did the right leg also feel like you just couldn't get it to swing correctly?  Like it wanted to wing to the outside?  If so, then you might also want to consider whether you have an SI alignment issue (similar to what wrecked my marathon last month).

Yes, that's what I meant by it feeling almost like a bone movement issue at the start of Friday's run (and today's, which was fine after the first mile - 10 total).  Also felt that way for a while after I got home this morning.  I'll go back and reread your race report and treatment report.  Thanks.

As for facemasks, I did ok this morning using the neckwarmer, but the temperature was only in the 60s and the fabric is pretty thin.  Have to see how it feels on a warmer day.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Good work everyone some solid running going on during this tough time.

DW yes that duration looks weird. Will have to get Flavio to look into it. Mark's looks wrong in places too. Flavio kindly made that conversion app. Nice job on the forced treadmill running.

DP ok so my harder efforts will show at the end of the month on that Strava challenge. Dont think I will catch the 14 min 5kers 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

DW yes that duration looks weird. Will have to get Flavio to look into it. Mark's looks wrong in places too. Flavio kindly made that conversion app. Nice job on the forced treadmill running.

Yeah, I think it's only presenting minutes and seconds and not hours - so any activities over an hour long look like they are under an hour.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Turns out it is the average pace of the whole run of any run over the qualifying distance.  So if you run a 4:00/KM 5k in a 8 k run and the whole run averages 4:18/km. 4:18/km is you time. So if you want a fast 5k do it as a separate run on your gps

Good work everyone some solid running going on during this tough time.

DP ok so my harder efforts will show at the end of the month on that Strava challenge. Dont think I will catch the 14 min 5kers 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

zebano

Flavio, Brew, my condolences. I do love riding the shopping carts, you get some funny looks as a almost 40 year old on your own pushing it and jumping on =) Flavio, we just made homemade calzones, and don't tell my wife but while the kids love em I need something with more flavor. Sounds like yours was much better!

James that's a nice workout. As someone whose trying to run 80 second 400s for a mile, that's darn quick. Hopefully the injury is just a passing niggle.

Heck of a week Mark for just running a PR.

mrakers! Finally someone coming out the other side of an injury feeling good!

Steve -- no fade?? well done!

Thanks for all the shoe tips. I love my zante pursuits, but I don't know anything about the rest of the NB lineup so I've been curious.

My week was mostly defined by feeling ill Tue & Wed and taking both days off. Fortunately I feel fine now minus a hacky cough (I assume I have covid-19 and just a mild strain and I've been avoiding everyone).

42 miles

Thur - I ran 3x1T. Still not feeling 100% but mostly my stride felt flat so instead of a 20 min tempo I basically ran 3 miles at 6:55=59 w/ min rest. First run back post-illness so I'm happy with that.

Saturday - 4x600 @ mile effort w/ 4 min rest. I went 1:58, 57, 59, 2:05. I did a terrible job hyping myself up for the last rep, lost focus in order to avoid pain and went through 400m looking at my watch for the first time at 1:25 panicked but managed to close at goal pace.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There’s something deeply amiss in the world: Piwi is running a lot of miles with speed work, and I’ve spent all week doing casual runs, even stopping to take a look at some ducks and budding flowers.

NYC is a total disaster right now as I’m sure you’re all aware. It’s gone from “I’m young and healthy, nothing to worry about” to “I need to avoid getting thing at all costs over the next 2-3 weeks while the hospitals are overflowing.” I’ve tried to get all of my runs in during off hours, but especially during the rain, as all of these new runners will not come out when the wet stuff falls from the sky. Been enjoying those. Did not enjoy my run today, which was prime hour at 3 PM when nobody kept 6 feet of distance and I almost got hit by multiple bicyclists. This mainly occurred when I would give someone at least 3-4 feet when passing on their left when running, and some MAMIL would try to pass in between me and the other runner instead of going to my left. I decided after today’s run, no more prime hour runs. I’m only going out there if I know I can get 6 feet of separation.

Some really good stuff going on in this thread. The training has been great and I hope to see some TTS soon. Steve - that’s a great idea. Feel bad for Corey given he got the BQ and is now missing out.

DPS - invest in a belt. I hated the idea 2 years ago, but once I started training for a marathon and wanted to practice taking Gatorade in (when I drank them in marathons), I had to get a belt. Not one of those ones where waters are just hanging on the outside, but rather a Flip Belt. They have water containers that fit really well, and although bulky, incredibly sturdy. I would not be drinking from a city fountain anytime soon.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac it's strange times for sure. Those ducks ( mallards ) are here too. We get to shoot them in may 

I'm glad you are still running. My days are weird, run, body balance, bike, drink beer, go to bed 

Zebano I've been studying reviews on New Balance shoes. The Beacon looks like a nice daily trainer. Those Zantes are gold though. Cheap, light, and so comfy.

Mark ah yeah you got it. Just the hour missing on that weekly summary.

DP got it so any serious effort needs a reset of the gps while you do the fast bit so it logs separately.

Darkwave did you own Takumi Sens ? I'm thinking of getting a pair.

watsonc123

The men's road 10k world record was set in Takumi Sens.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - 81 seconds per 400 is super fast, when are you running the mile?

Piwi/Darkwave/Mark - apologies, the strava tool was skipping the hour bit when displaying the duration.

That has been fixed now.

DPS - thanks, we need all the good thoughts we can have. Impressive week, as always!

Zebano - Calzones here are literally napoletan style pizza folded in half (Marco: please pardon my simplification). It saves you the work of folding it haha.

Nice 600s, what’s your aim time again for the mile? I’m thinking sub 5:20

Jmac - but the important question is: Did you stop for the squirrels?

Marco - How's it going over there?

MickJogger - You still reading these? How's it going?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

All sports channels which still exist are showing nothing but flashbacks at the moment and given our lack of racing I've decided to get into the same spirit and post flashbacks to some of our races from years past...interesting to read actually, knowing how subsequent years have gone...

First up, Corey at the Kiawah Island Marathon on December 8, 2018 with a great performance...

Steve great Idea This Brought back some memories for me, good motivation and I sure need some at this time.

Lots of great weeks of training going on given the current situation.

I've taken a couple weeks down with my last 3 weeks being 15 miles, 25 miles, and I hit 33 miles this week. s till working out some issue with my sore feet but I think I may have figured it out.  I had a really good week this week in terms of foot pain or really lack of it. I was able to run at a decent pace and enjoy it this week.

My wife's work shut their doors nationwide so she was furloughed through the 1st of May.

Our plant shut down last week so I spent the week working from home and have 3 days of working at home this week,  hopefully we will be back to work next week.  it's about time for me to "Clock in" so gotta go!

Have a great week everyone stay safe.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JamesD

JamesD

James - 81 seconds per 400 is super fast, when are you running the mile?

Thanks, Flavio.  Remember that I took twice as long recovery as run time, so 2:40ish, not the 60 or 90 seconds that some people take.  I had planned on a solo time trial this coming Saturday and then one chasing my friend two weeks later, on the date of my cancelled half.  That's on hold until I figure out how serious my upper hamstring tendinopathy and/or possible SI imbalance (thanks, darkwave) is.  Yesterday, it felt like it did for several weeks when I was coming back from my 2018 injury.  At that time, by running only easy miles I was able to increase volume significantly and have the problem gradually recede.  Since I'm six months away from any goal race, that would be ok.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Bummer that you tweaked the tendon again!

Flavio - Hello from a fellow shopping-cart rider.

Piwi - How, exactly, does one injure one's foot whilst putting on a sock?

DPS - Your weeks, man... Impressive! Time for a new handheld or hydration vest? I think running warehouse is still having a sale...

Mark, MRakers - Good weeks.

DWave - Solid week, and looks like you're getting some solid use out of the treadmill. Have you been able to calibrate your Stryd, or no?
                          Have you tried any knock-off Bluffs? I have some that are a good deal thinner than the "real" ones, which makes them much easier to breathe through.

JMac - NYC sounds like a zoo. Moreso that usual. No offence! I hope you can get those runs in while maintaining separation from people.

All easy, except for the 10k on Saturday for a "try to run even splits" virtual race series put on by a LRS. Actually switched to metric units for that one. I planned on trying to run 4:05/km, but the first was a bit hot so I had to maintain that pace. Splits were 4:02, :02, :02, :01, :00, :02, :02, :02, :01, :01

03/30/2020 1 hawk and 2 bonus miles 10.7 01:27:02 00:08:08/mi 127 Link
                          03/30/2020 Hitting all the puddles as it rains 2.5 00:20:32 00:08:13/mi 9 Link
                          03/31/2020 2 buzzards and 1 hawk 6.3 00:50:53 00:08:05/mi 100 Link
                          04/01/2020 16 deer (16 strides), 2 owls, 2 hawks, & 1 rabbit 16.1 02:10:18 00:08:06/mi 213 Link
                          04/02/2020 2 hawks, 2 herons, & 1 deer (1 stride) 10.1 01:24:29 00:08:22/mi 153 Link
                          04/02/2020 1 killdeer 2.3 00:18:53 00:08:13/mi 34 Link
                          04/03/2020 5 deer (5 strides), 1 heron, & 1 goose 10.5 01:28:29 00:08:26/mi 189 Link
                          04/03/2020 So that's where the cut in that shirt came from 3.2 00:25:28 00:07:58/mi 0 Link
                          04/04/2020 To the neighborhood-in progress 1.4 00:10:54 00:07:47/mi 26 Link
                          04/04/2020 Flattening the Curve 10k 6.2 00:40:26 00:06:31/mi 146 Link
                          04/04/2020 Time for breakfast 1.8 00:14:26 00:08:01/mi 45 Link
                          04/05/2020 6 hawks, 3 deer (3 strides), and that one goose again 11.1 01:31:04 00:08:12/mi 155 Link

Total distance: 82.2

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zebano

JMac, trails around here are getting full during peak hours, I cannot fathom NYC.

James - rest : interval at 2-3x is what JD recommends for R paced work, so I'd say you're doing it right.

I think we need a quick show of hands as to who here is unwilling to ride the shopping cart.

Piwi I have to agree the Zantes are  🔥 🔥. They're my goto for anything uptempo although I just ordered some Altra Vanish-R so we'll have to see how those handle. Let me know if you find anything even remotely close to the zante among their other shoes. 

CFarr - I'm glad the foot is cooperating, they're very fickle.

Flavio - pizza is pretty amazing so that makes the calzones amazing =). Yeah my PR is 5:23 for 1600 so I'm trying to go sub 5:20 over a proper 1609. I've got a little voice in the back of my head that keeps whispering that good things always happen when I spike up and this is me being cowardly but the 600s were hard enough I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to hold the pace for 4 laps. It really is amazing since that pace feels almost like I'm floating for the first 150 and the difficulty just spikes so quickly.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Zebano the problem here is availability with proper running shoes. You cant just go try most of them on at the LRS although Zantes I could. Our Dollar is low compared to US and UK right now so import from those 2 is out. We are at parity with Australian dollar though so will look there.

Keen well you know how you point your toes forward and away when putting on socks, this pulled the muscles on the top of my foot 

Flavio thanks for the fix.

Watson well they must not be too bad then  Going to cost about $180 from running warehouse Australia though.

Cfar nice memory !

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - yeah, rest is roughly double the duration. Pity you got the niggle.

Keen - I can see you’re using the strata tool, let me know for any feedback you might have.

Zebano - you’re roughly in the same shape I was when I ran 4:54 for 1500. I’d say you’re close to 5:20 though having a rabbit would help a lot even if only for the last 800 (no need of a rabbit in the first 2 laps heh)

Keen well you know how you point your toes forward and away when putting on socks, this pulled the muscles on the top of my foot 

... laughing nervously ....

That's hilarious but then I remember the number of ways I've pulled my back so far 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly