The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

I was screaching and laughing like a girl for 350 meters and then some.

I was for like the last 1200m, when he started getting boxed in with a few to go by a few of the Ethiopians I have having a minor heart attack.

Once he came across the line I was jumping around the house shouting for like several minutes. The rest of my family seemed very confused and alarmed. Great day to be a fan of American distance running.

Also....screw NBC. I know distance running isn't super popular and not entertaining for most people and it's not like I am expecting great coverage of it or anything....but it's our first GDMN medal in this event since 1964 and all you do in primetime is at the very start without any background show a clip of less than the last lap and say "btw Galen Rupp got a medal". >.<

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

For those who missed it live.  Though, the camera-work, which might be the same as NBC, really sucks . . . or else it's the non-wide-screen format of the video compared to a wide-screen broadcast or something.

Looks like Rupp had a really rough go of it, being locked in the box.  When he lowered the hammer it was with such authority, though.  Wow.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mikeymike

NBC Replay in HD. You need to be a US tv subscriber and know your username and password.  At first I couldn't watch it because I'm in Canada right now but I connected through my company's vpn and it works.

Runners run

Shit. Freakin Gatlin. T_T

Bolt sure is able to deliver when it matters though.

Looks like Jager just didn't have his best stuff today, though maybe he just peaked a little too early as his run in Monaco was superb. Going to be super fun to watch his development over the next few years as he really does strike me as a very talented, promising runner. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

jules2

Im sorry your TV coverage is so bad we are so lucky this side of the pond as there are so many channels covering it that you can see almost every event live. Plus we have free to watch large,screen TV's in the centre of a lot of towns. In my city Leicester we have one in the centre and during the course of the triathlons from Saturday to Tuesday there is an "endless pool" turbo trainer and running machine and the local Tri clubs are running competitions on them.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Yeah, my cable company (Virgin) carries all the BBC Olympic  channels. There's live coverage for pretty much every venue whilst something is happening.

Im sorry your TV coverage is so bad we are so lucky this side of the pond as there are so many channels covering it that you can see almost every event live. Plus we have free to watch large,screen TV's in the centre of a lot of towns. In my city Leicester we have one in the centre and during the course of the triathlons from Saturday to Tuesday there is an "endless pool" turbo trainer and running machine and the local Tri clubs are running competitions on them.

That's why I just grab a proxy and watch the BBC feed anyway. No real human interest stories, announcing only when events are happening, no commercials, broadcasters significantly better....what's not to love? 

jules2

L Master, good for you if you need any translation work doing let me know ie sidewalk = pavement Windshield = windscreen Motorbike = Victoria Pendleton

jules2

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/mystery-solved-why-sand-doesn-t-stick-beach-202829395.html Why can't it make this linkmworkmwhen using my IPad? Anyway it give the answer to the question we were too afraid to ask

Julia1971

Video of a field hockey player getting hit in the head.  I play when I'm not marathon training and this made me wince along with the crowd.

Re the Men's 10K (and the Women's Marathon, I suppose).  What I thought was the best part of the race was the finish and you could see how happy they both were for one another.  I think of running as a very individual sport so it was refreshing to see that kind of comraderie.

#artbydmcbride

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/mystery-solved-why-sand-doesn-t-stick-beach-202829395.html Why can't it make this linkmworkmwhen using my IPad? Anyway it give the answer to the question we were too afraid to ask

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/mystery-solved-why-sand-doesn-t-stick-beach-202829395.html

Runners run

jules2

Thank you Ilene

#artbydmcbride

you are always welcome, jules2    Blush

Runners run

Went home over lunch and flipped on the TV only to find yet another questional Olympic Sport: Rhythmic Gymnastics.  Oh, and surprisingly, the Chinese weren't favored to win the gold.

xor

At least it isn't more water polo.

Also, I missed whatever happened to Pistorius, but just heard the word 'obstruction' and 'very dejected' so I am off to learn.