Was Top Gun Gay? (Read 920 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Watch and decide for yourself: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=6496773 I have nothing against gay people but this got thrown in my face one afternoon after I claimed during lunch that Top Gun was a great movie. Needless to say, after this little gem made its way around our firm I was teased non-stop for about a week.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Haha... that's funny. I was flipping through the channels the other day, came across Top Gun (which just so happened to be on the volleyball scene) and I came to the same conclusion. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just sayin'.

Imminent Catastrophe

Gay? Don't know. Sucked? Definitely.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Define : gay Can a movie be both gay and great?

Imminent Catastrophe

Don't know. But it can't both have Tom Cruise and be great.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Don't know. But it can't both have Tom Cruise and be great.
              You're just jealous cuz your call sign was "Butter Cheeks." "Maverick" and "Ice Man" were already taken? While Tom "I'm not at all gay, ask Nicole" Cruise is nutty as a fruitcake, he's been in some awesome flicks. Risky Business? Rain Man? Born on the Fourth July? "Jerry Maguire" alone is worth putting up with a little freaky-deakiness. And without Cruise, South Park's epic "In the Closet" episode would never have been possible.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Okay. I have to put in my $.02. I was in the Marine Corps, an enlisted man working on airplanes, when this movie was popular. They missed the target on military life by about as much as possible. They made up for it by completely missing the target on airplanes, how they fly, and how they are flown. To be fair, Hollywood rarely "gets it right" when making movies about airplanes or the military. Top Gun was no exception. Gay? I don't think so. Just a product of its time. Bad. Absolutely. To make it running related, I'd like to add that I ran a 10K on the Miramar flight line/runway in '89 or so. Concrete is not a great surface for such a long race. I think the fact it was held on Miramar made it a novelty.
                Do bears bear? Do bees be?

My legs are killing me

Gay - no. Corny - yes. Although I do remember after this movie came out every red blooded guy in his 20's wanted to fly and F-14 and feel the "need for speed".

Bruno

Something that always bothered me....who plays beach volleyball in tight denim jeans?
                      Something that always bothered me....who plays beach volleyball in tight denim jeans?
                      Why do you guys want to ruin this for me? That scene is the only reason I watch Top Gun. Smile

Amy

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,3404,00.html#1_0 at least Tom and the boys didn't do this....
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I do remember after this movie came out every red blooded guy in his 20's wanted to fly and F-14 and feel the "need for speed".
                          Wasn't just the 20-somethings. I was 15, and it had the same effect on me. Everyone and their brother was doing the Maverick-Goose High-5 / Low-5 move. I do appreciate Ice Kilmerman adding the coughed *bullshit* to my vocabulary, though.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

Okay. I have to put in my $.02. I was in the Marine Corps, an enlisted man working on airplanes, when this movie was popular. They missed the target on military life by about as much as possible. They made up for it by completely missing the target on airplanes, how they fly, and how they are flown. To be fair, Hollywood rarely "gets it right" when making movies about airplanes or the military. Top Gun was no exception. Gay? I don't think so. Just a product of its time. Bad. Absolutely. To make it running related, I'd like to add that I ran a 10K on the Miramar flight line/runway in '89 or so. Concrete is not a great surface for such a long race. I think the fact it was held on Miramar made it a novelty.
                            Might not of been accurate, but it was the best recruiting film the military EVER had

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

Sailors. Duh. "In the Navy, you can sail the seven seas ..."

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

Sailors. Duh. "In the Navy, you can sail the seven seas ..."
                                Now THAT is GAY! WAY GAY!
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.