Hats off to the early birds. (Read 734 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Hey early birds. Just joined the club this morning and do I feel knackered! Fair play to you all. I found my run this morning very tough. Up at 5.40 on the road at 5.50. I chose my favourite route (7.9m) as it is very scenic and I wanted to take it all in. Think again - I started slow to give my self a chance to loosen up but unfortunately I never did. I struggled for the entire run, starting at 8.30 pace for the first 2 miles and then averaging out around 7.45. I normally run this route on an easy run at 7.30 pace and feel great. I supose there are lots of things to factor in which might account for me feeling so bad. 1. Bad nights sleep - our daughter decided it was playtime at 3.30 and I didnt get back to sleep until 5.00. 2. It was a warm night so I was probably dehydrated. 3. Probably in sufficient fluids before I set off. 3. No food either. 4. First early morning run so my body was not ready for it. I wont give up. I know i willl need to experiment and it will take a while to adjust. I will do a couple of mornings a week to start and take it from there. Do any of you that run regularly in the morning feel crap if you do a run in the evening?

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Purdey

Self anointed title

I tend to run early in the morning - and it does take a while to get used to it... but once you do it is great. Main reason for not feeling as good as you would like - your muscles, tendons, ligaments have all tightened up a bit over night and they are simply not used to exercising hard that early in the day. Time will allow the body to adjust! I find that the feeling of getting the miles in whilst all sane human beings are in bed just can't be beaten!

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I tend to run early in the morning - and it does take a while to get used to it... but once you do it is great.
        -- I totally agree - and I love being able to re-live my run all day knowing that it's DONE for the day! I don't find evening runs more difficult physically, but I do find they interfere with my schedule, whereas morning runs fit in perfectly. I do like the fact that running at the end of the day leaves little time to "overdo" it eating-wise. The ol' "I did 8 today so I think I'll have that extra helping" thing. Good luck with it. In time it'll become your favorite way to start the day!
        ~ Fly ~
        Only as much as I dream can I be.
        veggies on the run
          I love running early - and you would be surprised how many folks are up walking, gardening, etc at 5:30. I didn't jump right in to 5am - I eased into it - starting in the spring I just started getting up around dawn (once it crossed the 6:30 mark) and kept at it as it got earlier Also, I'm finding when I don't run I still wake up at the same time - so I pay the bills, do the laundry, etc... leaves the evening free for QT with the pinot grigio. In the winter I do usually switch some of the runs to the gym in the afternoon 'cause its too dark/ cold/ snow icy in the morning here in Maine, but I'm much lazier after a day at the office and a commute... A MTA: I dont eat before my runs, but I may have a cup of tea with honey or a small glass of juice... Breakfast when I get home

Recalculating...

Menace to Sobriety

I've noticed that I generally run a bit faster in the afternoon, or at least later in the day, than I do in t he early AM as well, with no more percieved effort. I think the fact that I'm more loose, is one thing, but also its generally dark for a good part of my early runs and I think I tend to subconciously run a little slower when I can't see as well. I have numerous places where I have to go on and off the pavement, due to traffic, ect.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I run at 4:30-5:00am almost every day. It is the perfect time to run. You can run down the middle of the street. You can see cars coming for miles away. You can see all kinds of wildlife you would otherwise miss. I have seen meteors, foxes, deer, coyotes, and lots of people in bathrobes/pajamas. The pollution level is at its lowest point of the day. You are usually through the first mile before you fully wake up so that's a gravy mile. Yes, you do have to get used to it, but start out very slow and downhill if you can manage it. Don't drive anywhere, just run out the door. Drink a glass of water before bed. Wear some cushioned shoes. Know that you are burning fat....
                Drink a glass of water before bed. -Amy Barrow I concur on the water. I also keep a full glass on the nightstand so I can drink if I should wake in the night or drink before I get dressed. Every run is so much better when hydrated.

Run the race God set B4U

I'm proud of you for getting up and doing it! When my running partners first suggested it, I was not happy about it but I feel great the rest of the day and it's good to know I am done. Besides it's nice that people say...you ran this morning? It is an accomplishment to get up early and run. For me, it helped me to learn discipline.
                  5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                    Congrats on getting up in the am! Getting out the door is the hardest part. Your body will adjust. But I don't feel like crap in the evening. When I have to run later in the day, I do run better and faster. That's just normal. Even with weight training, I'm better in the afternoon than in the morning. Your muscles, tendons and central nervous system all perform a bit better later in the day after you've been awake, had a meal etc. But, I can never make a run or weight workout later in the day and my body adapted to the early mornings. Make sure you get that sleep - that's big and I know it's tough since I have 3 little ones of my own. Hydrate well in the evening and eat a sensible dinner with good carbs, veggies and protein and that'll help. Keep at it and good luck!

Yes, I much prefer to run in the morning even though I'm not a morning person. I run better in the morning and then I have more energy for the rest of the day. If I don't run in the morning, I notice that I get into a slump and I feel like a slug. Terie
                      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                      Blisters

Love the peace and quiet of the early morning. I will admit, though, that it is hard to have the eye of the tiger out there for a good strong run sometimes. I always make sure I have a drink before I go on my way. I don't eat much - a cookie perhaps - just enough to give my stomach something to think about.
                          I love running early - and you would be surprised how many folks are up walking, gardening, etc at 5:30.
                          +1 - I expected the normal things, great sunrises, diverse wildlife, the stillness but the number of people watering their lawns and poking around in their yards really surprised me.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

uncontrollable

My goal is to run at least 1/2 my runs in the a.m. but I am so used to running in the afternoon/early evening. I haven't been able to get it down pat yet. I have to make it a habit before the weather cools down though or it will just get even harder!

peace

I have good intentions. I'll set my alarm, have my running stuff all lined up...but when that alarm goes off I'm real quick to justify staying in bed and how I can run later. Roll eyes Morning runs are not my thing, only because I go to bed so late I have trouble waking up much earlier than 6 or 7.

Michelle

uncontrollable

I run at 4:30-5:00am almost every day. It is the perfect time to run. You can run down the middle of the street. You can see cars coming for miles away. You can see all kinds of wildlife you would otherwise miss. I have seen meteors, foxes, deer, coyotes, and lots of people in bathrobes/pajamas. The pollution level is at its lowest point of the day. You are usually through the first mile before you fully wake up so that's a gravy mile. Yes, you do have to get used to it, but start out very slow and downhill if you can manage it. Don't drive anywhere, just run out the door. Drink a glass of water before bed. Wear some cushioned shoes. Know that you are burning fat....
                                I'm just wondering how long your typical morning run is. And do you have to get to work after that? Just curious. I need to leave my house by 5:30 a.m. to be in Boston for my 7a-7p shift. I'm thinking 4-5 a.m. run, quick shower, lunch NEEDS to made the night before??? I'll do my best. Winter will be tough.

peace