Why Runners Can't Eat Whatever They Want (Read 558 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Public policy should not be based on weak data.

Would that it were...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

running metalhead

My personal feeling is that because of the excessive amounts of oxygen produced in higher mileage runners, there is also an excessive amount of inflammation and free radical production and thus oxidative damage in our bodies. This can contribute to disease. 3 hours of running a week may be good but more 

Well, there are competitive runners out there you know? I heard that there are even professional ones.

And frankly, Mo Farrah doesn't seem quite unhealthy, does he?

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

And frankly, Mo Farrah doesn't seem quite unhealthy, does he?

depends on your view of health.

Mysecondnewname

Define "too much".  There lies the problem.  And not just for running, but for about everything diet-related as well.  Saturated fat is evil.  Turns out, perhaps not so much.  Now it's carbs and sugar.  Anti-oxidants and vitamins are good, take high doses.  Now it turns out not only are they probably worthless, but large doses of some may be harmful.

The problem is that we have a really poor understanding of what does constitute a healthy diet and the long-term effects of certain nutrients.  Public policy should not be based on weak data.  It may even end up forcing harm on people.

Yep...neither should public health policy (and health dollar allocations) be based on what celebrities (or politically powerful groups) happen to have a particular disease.

I'm dreaming though.