First Marathon: Brooks Glycerin or Nike React Infinity? (Read 38 times)

achilles529

I am training for my first marathon and need advice on which running shoe to use. I have narrowed it down to the Brooks Glycerin or the Nike React Infinity and would like some advice on which is best to use.

Background: during a 14 mile training run, I tore a tendon in my foot. This was essentially my biggest fear before signing up for this marathon, i.e. getting injured. After this happened I ditched my old running shoes and went to RR sports where I tried on about every pair imaginable and walked out with the Glycerin and React Infinity.

The Glycerin is obviously a very established running shoe by a great brand. It fits very well and would seem like the conventional choice. However, I am very intrigued by the cushioning and the injury prevention claims of the React Infinity. My priority at this point is not to run a fast race; it's to make it through the training with as little risk of getting injured as possible. If the React Infinity helps me do that, I would prefer to use it.

The only cons with the React Infinity is that the fit does not make it conducive to wearing insoles or orthotics. I think I need arch support now that my tendon ripped, so i'm a bit hesitant to use them without arch support (putting insoles in makes them too tight and sizing up is not an option).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.