Race Preparation and Recovery (Read 611 times)

I am going to be doing a conference call next week and I am looking for questions to answer on the call about marathon preparation and recovery - specifically, what you can do while you are training and in the few days and hours leading up to the race so that you can race well, avoid or run through the wall, and then recover quickly from the marathon. If you have a question that you would like answered, then please either post it here or (preferably) go to: http://www.marathoning.org/1-question.html Entering your question on my web page will sign you up for the call-in details and will make it so that you can download the call afterwards. I've had about a dozen people sign up for it so far and have about 8 questions to answer, but my goal is to have a large pool of questions to draw from so that I don't have enough time to answer them all. A couple of the questions that I've received so far are not really on topic. (Note that if you sign up on my web page it will add you to a sublist of my email newsletter, so you'll receive emails about the call, but it will not add you to my main newsletter list so you won't receive that unless you want to sign up for it separately.) I will probably be hosting the call at the end of next week or next weekend. I haven't figured out how I am going to do the call yet but should get that finalized this weekend and will have the call-in details hopefully by Monday.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Well, the call went really well. I meant to come in and update with the call in details, but not only did I forget to, but I never even got around to sending them along to a few friends that were expecting them ahead of time. That's what I get for working until 11:00 every night this week getting things ready. (I normally go to bed between 9 and 10:00) If you are interested in listening to the replay or reading about what sorts of questions I answered, you can go to: http://news.runtowin.com/2008/01/05/listen-to-the-replay-of-the-marathon-questions-call.html There were at least a few RA folks that I recognized that submitted questions (or in two cases, comments.)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I plan on running my first marathon in February. My concerns 1. How to stay properly hydrated and keep the body chemistry in balance... leading to item number 2 2. Tips on not getting Nauseated 3. Hills (How to train for them... ) 4. Transportation after the race... should I get someone to drop me off and pick me up? Is that wise? Off Topic I saw your post over on a personal finance blog. Supposedly... I didn't provide enough details for my goal... Roll eyes my goal was SMART (Specific Measurable ...)... just maybe too terse for the blogger

Vim

1. How to stay properly hydrated and keep the body chemistry in balance... leading to item number 2
          Drink some water. Drink some gatorade. Eat some carbs - like GU.
          2. Tips on not getting Nauseated
          Try the above in training until you find what works.
          3. Hills (How to train for them... )
          I'm not an expert - but I'm thinking your biggest focus between now and Cowtown needs to be your long run. If you have energy for hills after that - then run some hills. Wink
          4. Transportation after the race... should I get someone to drop me off and pick me up? Is that wise?
          It might be. Shoot me an email to (removed email address) and we can sort out riding together if you want. Only if you promise not to have bloody nipples this time. I just had the truck cleaned. Clowning around

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

www.chiarunning.com what the? Picture reminds me of this dude.

Vim

Another Passion

You guys crack me up. Big grin

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com