Am I the only dork.. (Read 336 times)

onefatchick

who wears a headband when running?   I wore them in the early 80s when I did a little bit of running for triathlon training, and they seemed very common then.

This quote:   "Awesome 80's hairstyles with headbands"  from this thread:   http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/1851841796804753943099b8a17b3082#focus

got me to thinking how silly I must look out there running.  I started looking around at some race photos from currents races I have been in and sure enough, I hardly see any headbands.  I see a few hairbands that keep the hair pulled back, but no headbands across the forehead.   If you don't wear a headband how do you keep the sweat out of your eyes??  Do ballcaps serve that purpose?  I wonder if Joan Samuelson started the ballcap trend in the 84 Olympics...

joescott

Yes. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wear them...always.  Because I can't put sunblock on my forehead without it sweating into my eyes.  And under a bike helmet I always wear a headband or Buff, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

This guy wears one. Hes pretty fast.

Ben Blankenship.. another fast guy... wears a giant one.

As far as hats go.. Dave Wottle wore a golf cap in the '72 Olympics.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

CT JEFF

regular baseball caps wont do much to keep sweat out of your eyes, but yes the ones designed for running will. I have one cap by Sweat..Caps? Cant find it at the moment and another by UA (heatgear) both meant to keep sweat out, but still some gets in my eyes. Do what you want and if it works for you, keep doing it. Ive found that at times I was the minority. Maybe someone else wants to try to do something "outside the box" too. You could be their inspiration.

Also, there is something subtly gratifying about being the minority of one. I ran a local 5k, and was strolling about after the run to come up behind a woman saying, "... that didn't bother me. You know what did, that barefoot guy..." - turns out she felt she should be able to beat me. To her credit however, she was the fastest woman, just not faster than me.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

jpdeaux

I usually just wear eyebrows and swipe when necessary.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I run with a ballcap, but I have running ballcaps which have the built-in sweatband. (My hats are from Running Room.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kcam

This guy wears one. Hes pretty fast.

Ben Blankenship.. another fast guy... wears a giant one.

As far as hats go.. Dave Wottle wore a golf cap in the '72 Olympics.

Gawd I love watching that 800 final.  I am still amazed that Wottle had the fortitude to run what he knew to be his best race while watching the rest of the pack go out at crazy fast pace.  He had to be thinking of speeding up to stay with the pack but resisted.  Awesome.

I believe there was some controversy about whether the IOC was going to let him run with that cap.  At first they refused to let him wear it but in the end relented.

OP - where what you like and never look back.  I sometimes wear a Tilley hat on my noon-time runs and I'm sure there are people thinking "Huh?".  Oh well.

While I run in a visor here in swfl, that is entirely to keep either the sun or a torrential down pour out of my eyes. Sweat or light to moderate rain never seems to bother me or my eyes. Other than a knit cap on sub 50 days (rare now but much more common in my years of running in New England), I never wear anything that covers my head. I still remember wearing a bandana on a hot summer day about 30 yrs ago, overheating and wondering what was wrong with me. Once I took it off, I was good to go. When I see people now running with a hat, and appearing to struggle, I want to yell at them to take the damn thing off.

But, to the original point, I'm not sure about the efficacy of a sweat band, sweat in the eyes just doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe we're designed that way since, after all, sweating is how humans keep cool?

degregorius

Try the ones from BondiBand.  I have several, including the one that says "It's just a hill.  Get over it."

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I say it's better to be a dork in a headband than a d'bag in a visor.

(no offense, Jaybar, I'm certain you only wear yours for functional reasons and it isn't accompanied by unzipped spandex)

Liz

pace sera, sera

onefatchick

"This guy wears one. Hes pretty fast. Ben Blankenship.. another fast guy... wears a giant one." At least I am in good company. Now if only the headband would make me fast like those young men! "But, to the original point, I'm not sure about the efficacy of a sweat band, sweat in the eyes just doesn't seem to be a problem. Maybe we're designed that way since, after all, sweating is how humans keep cool?" My eyes really burn when I get sweat in them. I wonder if my pH balance is off because my diet is not optimal; could be my sweat is either too acidic or alkaline; either way it is very salty... I would probably sweat less if I were to run naked and barefoot, since we were not born with clothes or shoes I guess I'm really fighting nature when I wear them. ETA: This post is awfully garbled. I can't seem to find the toolbar that allows all the options...
                          onefatchick

how do I find the toolbar that allows me to change to bold or italics etc or add little smiley faces???
                            SubDood

Gawd I love watching that 800 final.  I am still amazed that Wottle had the fortitude to run what he knew to be his best race while watching the rest of the pack go out at crazy fast pace.  He had to be thinking of speeding up to stay with the pack but resisted.  Awesome.

One of my all-time favorite childhood memories. My entire family huddled around the TV, laughing at the guy in the cap (Wottle), laughing harder when he fell way behind, then cheering and jumping up and down like lunatics when he started passing everyone. Great stuff!

Headband instead of the hat. To old to give 2 sh#ts how it looks. Plus, it does keep the sweat out of my eyes. Hat is to hot, never did the sun visor. Headband just works, plus nice to be able to soak in water and get even more cooling when it's really warm.

Get off my porch