Garmin Q. re: run commutes (Read 854 times)

dillydoodles

I have a question regarding two separate workouts on the same day.

If I run to work (for example) and turn my Garmin (305) off when I get there; then turn it back on hours later at the start of my run home; when I download my info it appears as all one workout. (It's the same whether I use SportTracks or Garmin Training Center or MotionBased, etc.)

How do set up my Garmin 305 so that the second workout on the same day is recorded separately?

I have it set to Auto Lap - By Distance (every km).

It might have to do with the settings for Data Recording. I've looked in the 305 manual and on-line for the answer, but so far, no luck. I'd appreciate it if someone could steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

When you get to work, hold down lap reset for 3 seconds and it will clear out the run so you can start a new one on the way back.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

Lazy idiot

After your first run, hold the 'Lap' button down.  The screen will read "Reset in 3... 2... 1..."  then you'll hear a beep and the totals will all reset to zeros.

Go for your next run, hit the start button and you'll begin a completely separate run both on your feet and on your Garmin.

MTA: Or... what Rick said.

Tick tock

dillydoodles

THANK YOU!

(I knew I could count on RA members for the answer.)

Much appreciated..................

MilesS

or one could just read the manual. there is only about 10 pages to it :-)

Seriously though gamin needs to do major rewriting to the manual.  I've written computer programs and generally just get to understand a program very quickly but I find even trying to get the advanced workouts usually have me stopping and resetting it back to a basic workout recording laps every km.  I think Garmin skipped the usability tests

You'll ruin your knees!

(It's the same whether I use SportTracks or Garmin Training Center or MotionBased, etc.)

You got the right answer on reset... now... dump SportTracks and Garmin Training Center and MotionBased and start uploading to Running Ahead!  You will be able to interface directly with your training log and not have to re-key data!  It's very easy and will save you time!

You can look at my log to see where I have uploaded Garmin workouts.  I upload a run, edit to add information about shoes, weather, etc, and save the data... no keying of distance, times or splits! 

Have fun,

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Prince of Fatness

dump SportTracks

I'd consider this if there was a way to import my older log entries from SportTracks to here.  I don't think that is possible yet so I use SportTracks and rekey the essentials here so my log is public.

Not at it at all. 

dillydoodles

You got the right answer on reset... now... dump SportTracks and Garmin Training Center and MotionBased and start uploading to Running Ahead!  You will be able to interface directly with your training log and not have to re-key data!  It's very easy and will save you time!

You can look at my log to see where I have uploaded Garmin workouts.  I upload a run, edit to add information about shoes, weather, etc, and save the data... no keying of distance, times or splits! 

Have fun,

Lynn B

Lynn - I just saw your post now. Since the new feature was implemented I've uploaded a number of workouts directly to RA but have a problem with the maps when I do that. Previously all my maps loaded quickly and I had no problems with them. With the workouts that I've uploaded directly to RA ... the maps bog down... either taking forever to load... or they're only an inch high... or they freeze my computer. I can still view my other maps here with ease, but the RA/Garmin upload maps... UGHH!!!

It's much faster for me to upload to MotionBased, then copy and paste my data into my log here. I can link to my map off-site (http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/kml/episode.kml.... etc.)  Don't get me wrong, I've been faithfully using RA for years and love it.  Thanks anyway.

Cheers

PS: MilesS, I DID read the manual (and it's 70 pages, not 10).   

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Lynn - I just saw your post now. Since the new feature was implemented I've uploaded a number of workouts directly to RA but have a problem with the maps when I do that. Previously all my maps loaded quickly and I had no problems with them. With the workouts that I've uploaded directly to RA ... the maps bog down... either taking forever to load... or they're only an inch high... or they freeze my computer. I can still view my other maps here with ease, but the RA/Garmin upload maps... UGHH!!!

Have you tried it recently?  The maps were changed to reduce the number of points and they load pretty quicky for me now.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

One other thing with uploading is that I recommend not storing a lot of runs in the device.  Slows things way down. (this is true regardless of where your upload to).  I pretty much delete runs off my Garmin once I've got the data into RA.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

dillydoodles

Have you tried it recently?  The maps were changed to reduce the number of points and they load pretty quicky for me now.

I have. It's still weird. If I click on on one of my old maps, its loads within a few seconds and it's a decent sized map. If I click on one of the Garmin uploads, it takes longer to load, and when it finally does, it's literally only about 1" tall (even when NOT showing the elevation map), and there's nothing I can do to make it bigger. If I click on Edit... well, let's just say it ain't pretty. That's OK. I don't really need any more maps right now. I have about 5 fave locations that I use over and over again, so it's not a biggie.

jEfFgObLuE  - The maximum I ever have on my Garmin is 1 week's worth of workouts.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What browser are you using?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Its awesome someone can run commute to and from work.  Is this somewhere in the good US of A