Body not responding to training, should I just stop? (Read 204 times)

Hi,

I'm a 48 year old male and have been running for a little over 34 years.  I have always enjoyed running and have been pretty competitive until the past year or two when I had to slow down due to a string of injuries (Achilles, ankle tendonitis, etc.).  I've pretty much recovered from most of my injuries and have tried to get back into more serious training over the past year.  The issue that my body just doesn't seem to be responding to any type of training.  I've noticed that my training paces have been dramatically slowing over the past year.  A few months ago I could complete a longer run at about 8 min. pace and feel comfortable, now I find that I struggle to complete the same run at 9 min. pace.  I'm noticing the same thing with harder workouts (which I do about 1-2x per week).  In a nutshell - I just feel like I struggle on every run, even easy recovery days.  I also feel like I don't recover from my previous day's workout, even if that run was easy.  My legs constantly ache and feel heavy and I can't move comfortably through even the easiest of runs.  I've adjusted my paces and run around 9 min. pace or slower and even sometimes that feels hard.  I've adjusted my workload and have decreased my mileage in the hopes that would help.  I've dealt with injury or down time in the past and I've always been able to see some level of fitness coming back after a few months of steady training.  But it's frustrating now in that the same process seems to be resulting in decreased fitness.

I have been to my doctor and we've done blood work, etc. and nothing seems to be going on there.  I try to keep up with diet, sleep, etc. as well.  I do understand that as I get older I will slow down and I've experiences this over the years, but this has been surprising as the decline has been pretty dramatic and little seems to help.  Two years ago I was able to run a 5k around 18 minutes, now I doubt I could break 23 minutes.  I'm getting to the point of wondering if I should just stop completely as running has given me little pleasure over the past year.

Any insight or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Providing you are not having health issues you may be unaware of at this time....

Running can be used as a means to an end. Here...as I read this it has been used as a tool to complete and be competitive. It may be here that you are finding pleasure and not in running at all...or not, I don't know. The problem with this is being competitive as a pace chaser can not be sustained. Not without change. You could evolve your running before just giving up...then see where it takes you...you may find it takes you far beyond anything you ever thought.

I don't know what type of running you do but there are other ways to be competitive...train for distance... train for trail runs...train in adventure type racing or obstacle...or the dreaded train for triathlon...to just name a few.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

JimR

I'm a decade older than you and right now my running log is pretty patchy simply because I've had other priorities come along and also wanted time for a few other things, like a few more rounds of golf and walking around the trails with my wife and my camera instead of blowing by everything at speed.

In my mid-later 40's and had a strong aversion to running anything slower than 8ish pace.  I could do it, but I also was realizing that I was intentionally fooling myself about the effort those paces required.  I called them easy, they really weren't and running was truly becoming a chore.

I also concluded that trying to run by pace and distance was flat out counter productive to getting better at running.  That meant a change in my routine and how I would approach my day to day runs.

I dropped the idea of pace and distance and ran by time and effort.  Running is never truly easy but there was a big difference between what was easy by effort and what I wanted to be easy.  Pace went out the window and I kept my easy runs easy, and this meant they had to feel that way.  I also figured out that the amount of 'quality' I actually needed was a lot less than I was doing.  This became one tempo run a week and, since my focus was switching to trail races, a hill workout either once a week or once every two weeks, and strides when I felt like them.  Some weeks had no quality at all, just easy effort runs.  The switch to running by effort also allowed me to run a lot more frequently.  Since I wasn't beating myself up so much by forcing a pace, I could cover 80, 90 or more minutes a day, usually in doubles, and retained a 2 hour weekend long run that I occasionally stretched out closer to 2:30 when I felt I needed it.

I have read of running related burn out syndromes. I dont know if you have been pushing too hard too soon but sounds like this could be a reason. In any case good luck with the recovery!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Might be worth a quick trip to the doctor to rule out surprises.  I had a friend who had really similar issues, only to find out they had Lyme disease from a tick bite that went untreated and caused fatigue and other issues.  Got that cleared up and bounced back...not saying that'll be the case but I'd hate to swear off running only to find out something more was going on.  I'd think some bloodwork could clear up any medical causes.

kilkee

runktrun

It sounds like you're paying attention to the obvious variables that you can adjust - mileage, intensity, diet, etc, so I agree with you that it's weird and frustrating and probably not burnout.

Before you just to the conclusion that it is just age, I also suggest a lyme test (western blot and lyme titer; neither are very conclusive), but also check thyroid, C reactive protein (or whatever those inflammation markers are), CBC and look at EVERYTHING on that panel, and ask your doc about autoimmune markers.  If you've already done that, and your results are in range, but happen to be at the extremes of the acceptable ranges, then maybe you're sensitive and working to bring those values closer to the median would help you run better.  If there's truly nothing to be found in these tests, it really may just be age, as crappy as that sounds.

One thing that may help, if you're not already doing it, is strength training with a plyometric component.  Work on explosive movements (jump squats, bounders, etc) in addition to heavier weights.  Get your joints and soft tissue working through full range of motion.  Running drills to reinforce good form and quick turnover.

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but I've witnessed a similar decline in a lot of my friends in their 40s....

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

dhuffman63

Trails

Rule out a thyroid issue too.  I developed Graves Disease and it seriously has impacted my fatigue but I do what I can when I feel good.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Have you had a colonoscopy and/or did your blood work include CEA? 45 is the new start guideline. The reason I bring this up is that I went through this sort of thing 2 years ago...and it turned out I had stage 3 colorectal cancer (diagnosed at 44, well before I was old enough for routine screening).

It's probably not cancer, but it's certainly worth ruling-out. I blamed my increasingly slow runs on age and perimenopause. But it was due to neither of those more obvious explanations.

Now I'm struggling to get back, 1.5 years after diagnosis, because chemo is a motherfucker. But, hey, I'm here. 2019 should hopefully be better/faster.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

I certainly hope it's just some general blah or something like that...but it sure is concerning to hear of someone with 34 years of running wisdom noting quick declines in energy, pace, recovery et al.  Seems wise to this reader for you to not give up quickly on medical testing...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

The fact that you are curious to what may be the reason for your fatigue is a good sign.  Let's face it.  When people get tired, the best thing to do is rest.  The body is fantastic machine.  There are times when it wants to protect itself and the mind lends it a hand.  Even when everything seems like it should be normal, it may be time to step back and re-evaluate.

Begin by looking at why you run.  What does the activity do for you that keeps you involved?  Think about your down time that you've used to get healthy.  This rest period should have helped to re-boot the system, so to speak.  However, it usually will take a little time to work the kinks back out into what should be a smooth running engine. (barring medical issues, many of which have been mentioned by others.)

It's okay to slow down, on your way back to getting faster.  Use the experience as a chance to take off the pressure of your performance and try to reconnect with what you really enjoy about your running.

I've been running continuously for the past 41 years.  Not all of those years have been at a top level, but all of it has been continuous.  The breaks have meant changes with intensity and with competition.  Uniquely enough, when I feel like upping the ante and I feel like preparing for faster efforts, my body tends to give me what it's ready to give.  Patience is usually the key.  That and consistency with my training allows me to create a newness to my running that rejuvenates, even after all these years.

I've also found that with time away from mileage and intensity, the Lbs. will tend to increase which will usually create a workload greater than one would remember.  If your weight has creeped up a bit, give the body some time to gradually work it's way back down to your normal weight.  A body must work harder, and therefore paces change with the same effort with changes in body weight.

Good Luck!

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

If you’re not feeling it, why not try something different for a while? Try weights, body weight workouts, yoga, biking, hiking, gymnastic stuff, it’s all out there waiting. Getting in a workout shouldn’t stress you out. If it does, find something that doesn’t. Try running again in a few months and see how it goes

KarleenWhitley

Are you still facing the trouble?

Chris what sort of mileage are you logging ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

beat

Break on through

You may need to re-calibrate, adjust goals, go in a different direction.  It may be you can't compete with your younger self, or it may take a reset to get back there. I'm in a similar situation.  I don't run as fast as I used to. Instead, I run more trails and longer distances than I used to. I haven't given up on trying to get faster, but I'm doing other things with running to make it fun.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

SMART Approach

Try to enjoy running for a while. Slow down, give yourself a year to get fitness back gradually. Is your weight up? That makes huge difference. I had a funk this past Fall and winter with aches poor motivation, iincreased weight gain etc. and all my times are much slower this year but I feel better as I spent even more time doing functional strenghth training in winter to get my body back. You need to keep the core, hammys glutes etc strong as you age. Remember it takes longer to get your base back as you age and you had 34 years built up. . I figure with a good year of training, dropping a few lbs. my times will be going down toward Fall and even better next Spring with more base built. Yours will too but don't be too hooked on times. Try to have fun and train regularly and cross train to stay healthy. I would not do more than one fast work out a week and mix in striders some other days or rolling hills and some bike riding too.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com