Should I keep running in these shoes? (Read 718 times)

I'm new to RunningAhead (loving it!) and would like some advice on when to retire my running shoes. Here's the deal: I've been running in two pairs of running shoes since September 2007. The Asics Kayanos have 570 miles on them and the Asics 2120s have 515 miles. While they don't feel like they did fresh out of the box, they still have some cushioning in them and the outsoles look okay. I haven't developed any special aches and pains lately. Is it just a marketing myth that shoes last 300-500 miles? Should I: (1) keep running in these shoes? (2) be preventive and retire them? (3) relegate them to short/soft run duty? Thanks for any advice.
    JakeKnight

You'll find lots of opinions on this one. Use the search function up there if you feel like reading long boring threads about shoes. The bottom line is that just about everybody retires shoes by the 500 mile mark. I personally try to always hit 600 miles ... but that may not be so smart. You're definitely due for a trip to the shoe store. There's nothing worse than completely preventable injuries.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

As soon as my knees start to ache or I get random shin pain, I retire them. Mileage varies, but I have had up to 800 miles on a pair and as few as 300 on a different pair. I had two pairs of 2120's. Don't know how many miles I put on them because I didn't keep a log, but they lasted a long time compared to other shoes I have had in the past. The 2130's are the same way. My log indicates I retired one pair with 400 miles on them but that number is not accurate. The other pair has >500 miles on them and are still good to go. I raced in them on Saturday with no problems.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          I don't know if this has ever been asked, but has anyone ever contacted a shoe company about what they considered to be premature wear/wearing out? I mean, if I had shoes that I felt were shot @ 300 miles or less, as I have read about some folk, I'd be pissed. If so, what was the shoe co.'s reaction?
            Thanks for all the advice. I expected to get mixed opinions about this. I've broken in a new pair of shoes while waiting for these shoes to hill the wall, so I'm ready. I haven't heard of people sending shoes back to the manufacturers after 300 miles, but certainly if by 100 miles there's some defect or they're worn, I wouldn't hesitate to call the shoe company about that. Y'all run a lot! Keep it up and dnephin, good luck at Boston!