Louisville Fall Marathon (Read 520 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This has always been a great little marathon, this year Sunday October 19. The course has been changed beginning this year, apparently to accommodate more runners in the future. The new course finishes along the river like the old one did, but now starts running through downtown, then by the University of Louisville, the Fairgrounds, Churchill Downs and then the beautiful Iroquois Park. From Iroquois Park, you enter a fairly bland eight miles as you head over to the river for the final nine miles. Course here - http://www.runningahead.com/maps/616cc6fd432a42fd921f6689465d47d2 Not quite as flat, but probably still fast. And certified.

Imminent Catastrophe

That's the new Louisville Marathon? The course has changed quite a bit. The old course was fast but kind of boring, and there was a lot of crowding in the first few miles. This should be an improvement.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ham & Egger

I'm there for this one. It's going to be the military champs marathon this year--at least, that's what the website says...
        www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My fear is that the first 6 miles are on congested busy streets. The early morning Sunday start should help, but it seems odd for a smallish club marathon to run through the downtown of a medium sized city.

S&M Collector

I too share your concerns, Trent. Any updates as far as what plans are in place for the race personnel to manage the new course in Louisville for this year?
            Come across any cool medals lately?
            xor

Casa, per the race's website, they won't be using the "new" course this year. It'll be the same course they've used for years, much of which is bike path and basically deserted streets next to the river. I don't recall traffic being an issue, though I haven't done it since 2004 (which was on the old course... which you'll be running). The congestion you will face, unless they've changed the start times, is fast half marathoners on their way back on the bike path before you get to the turn around.

Imminent Catastrophe

I ran Louisville in 05 (my Maniac qualifier). The only congestion that I remember is in the first 2-1/2 miles on the bikepath, it's narrow and crowded with the usual slow runners lining up at the front Angry I liked the middle portion of this race through the riverside park, it's nice and peaceful and shady. The beginning and end part in the city are kind of ugly but the middle is nice. BTW the web site has the latest, it's the old course.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016