Jim2 and the Boston Marathon (Read 836 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JakeKnight

Great find, Team K-Cubed. Great article even before the Jim2 stuff - and cool for Jim! I'm pretty sure I've read the analysis their talking about? And now a question that may completely high-jack the thread, but after seeing your elevation maps last night I've been pondering this very question: isn't BQing at Steamtown (or another of those courses) sort of cheating? I'm looking at Jim's analysis now and I see CIM is at the top of the BQ list - gotta course profile for that one? Is it another big downhill?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Scout7

CIM is one of the top five fastest courses in the country. It has some rollers in the first half, but the second half is almost all downhill (although not too steep). If the BAA says it counts, then it counts.
      mikeymike

Interesting article. The BAA checks your photo ID when you pick up your number. So did the seller travel to Boston, pick up his bib and THEN sell it?

Runners run

Great find, Team K-Cubed. Great article even before the Jim2 stuff - and cool for Jim! I'm pretty sure I've read the analysis their talking about? And now a question that may completely high-jack the thread, but after seeing your elevation maps last night I've been pondering this very question: isn't BQing at Steamtown (or another of those courses) sort of cheating? I'm looking at Jim's analysis now and I see CIM is at the top of the BQ list - gotta course profile for that one? Is it another big downhill?
          This is a question I have raised a few times. After having read many responses and a few months ago run my first downhill marathon I have relaxed my stance on thinking of them as aided courses, but will agree that techically they are. In December I ran CIM and it turned out be my worst race on the grading scale during a stretch of 15 races leading up to and including that one. Three weeks prior to CIM I averaged 6:47 pace on a certified 30k loop. At CIM I was struggling to hold 7-min pace more than a mile before reaching 30k. I ended up with a 3:09 and overall pace of 7:13. Also, my times had been improving with each step up in race distance before then. Maybe I just had a bad day or hadn't prepared my legs for the downhills, but for whatever reason I don't think of those type of courses as easy as I did before the experience--at least CIM wasn't for me. BTW, CIM has less elevation loss than Boston, and more than 4 times less than courses like Steamtown, Tucson, and St. George. It is part of the USATF Gran Prix which might have something to do with the high percentage of BQ's. Competition tends to be quite good among the non-elites, plus Californians have the advantage of great training conditions almost year around. I'm not saying that it's not an easy course--just not as easy as some might think, and certainly nothing like some of those that drop more than a 1000 feet.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          kcam

Jim2's articles and his entire website are very, very interesting. The first time I saw them I read for about 2 hours there! The CIM is my goal race for a shot at sub 3, if I can manage a sub 3:10 at Silicon Valley in October. CIM is supposed to be fast but I've never run well at what they call 'flat, fast' courses. I've always done better at courses that have some minimally varying terrain, maybe a net downhill course will help me some. Silicon Valley has a couple of hills that are much more than 'minimally varying terrain' - make the hills in Newton look like itty bitty bumps so that'll be a good indicator of my fitness. Jim24315, you running CIM again next year?
            JakeKnight

BTW, CIM has less elevation loss than Boston, and more than 4 times less than courses like Steamtown, Tucson, and St. George. It is part of the USATF Gran Prix which might have something to do with the high percentage of BQ's. Competition tends to be quite good among the non-elites, plus Californians have the advantage of great training conditions almost year around. I'm not saying that it's not an easy course--just not as easy as some might think, and certainly nothing like some of those that drop more than a 1000 feet.
              Out of curiosity, anybody know how the BAA decides which runs CANNOT be qualifiers? Obviously at some point the downhill assist is going to rule out a course - is it just a judgment call? Is there a specific number there, like a max percent average descent?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

mikeymike

Net elevation loss is pretty meaningless on its own. This is like posting pictures of elevation charts as evidence of one course being "harder" than another without running both. The net elevation loss at Boston certainly doesn't help you when just about all of it comes over a few brutal miles that are so steep they hurt way more than they help AND are either, very early (like right out of the gate) or very late (like at mile 22.)

Runners run

mikeymike

Out of curiosity, anybody know how the BAA decides which runs CANNOT be qualifiers? Obviously at some point the downhill assist is going to rule out a course - is it just a judgment call? Is there a specific number there, like a max percent average descent?
                  I think the BAA takes any certified marathon. I haven't checked.

Runners run

Jim2's articles and his entire website are very, very interesting. The first time I saw them I read for about 2 hours there! The CIM is my goal race for a shot at sub 3, if I can manage a sub 3:10 at Silicon Valley in October. CIM is supposed to be fast but I've never run well at what they call 'flat, fast' courses. I've always done better at courses that have some minimally varying terrain, maybe a net downhill course will help me some. Silicon Valley has a couple of hills that are much more than 'minimally varying terrain' - make the hills in Newton look like itty bitty bumps so that'll be a good indicator of my fitness. Jim24315, you running CIM again next year?
                    Ken, I dug up your old email from last year after reading your post about Great Race the other day and am planning to write you. I didn't know that your handle was "campisi" unti then. I do not plan on runnnig CIM again but am giving serious thought about Silicon Valley. I registered for Chicago but have gotten cold feet. I'm just not one who likes to travel and go through all the other stress associated with a mega event so far from home. Being able to train on the course I'd be running and sleeping in my own bed the night before seems like a major advantage, although I realize SV is more difficult. Nobody can dispute a time that's run there either, as it is a certiified, "record eligible" loop. Will talk more laer. Jim
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      I'm looking at Jim's analysis now and I see CIM is at the top of the BQ list - gotta course profile for that one? Is it another big downhill?
                      CIM doesn't have a huge elevation drop....only 350 feet. Not even steep downhills. However, what it does have is a steady, gradual downhill slope. See the elevation profile. It takes a combination of three variables to align properly for a race to have a high BQ rate: --Course profile --Race day weather --Field composition CIM seems to fit all three criteria well. Some races have flat or downhill courses, but typical weather is problematic and/or they attract masses of participants, which can make running a peak race difficult unless you run in the upper fourth of the pack....Disney and LA come to mind. And some races just attract a "high quality" field, especially if they develop a reputation for having a fast course, good weather and not too big of a field.
                        And now a question that may completely high-jack the thread, but after seeing your elevation maps last night I've been pondering this very question: isn't BQing at Steamtown (or another of those courses) sort of cheating?
                        Well, we're not talking about world or national record setting. Just the gate through which one has to pass through for entry into another race, albeit a prestigious one. As Jim24315 pointed out, Boston is a point-to-point course with a bigger elevation drop than CIM, as well as several other "aided" courses. Also, many runners who don't run downhill well find that courses with large elevation drops, such as Steamtown and St. George, trash their quads and can actually be less likely to produce a peak performance than a flat or gently rolling course. I don't know how Boston would discriminate amongst certified courses unless they required that a BQ time be run on a course that qualifies for US records. Of course, that would mean that one would not be able to BQ in a Boston, NYC or several other unaided, but popular, marathons. Smile
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Boston: CIM: Steamtown: Others.