Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You guys are provoking the overlord with all this cricket talk (ie Kiwi talk)! You guys did so well for about 3 weeks.

JMac - Cricket is a bit boring to watch and the World Cup will be over soon.....then it’s The Open next week which is a much more fascinating and entertaining sport!  I’ve got two words for you....Rory McIlroy. 🥇

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm rooting for Rory! I watched a Golf Channel special on him regarding his first Open win and how it won his dad some ridiculous bet he placed when he was a kid that Rory would win the Open within 10 years.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac/Mikkey an unknown Kiwi will win the open too no doubt 

Next thing you know the English will be claiming Mo Farah as on of their own 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Jmac/Mikkey an unknown Kiwi will win the open too no doubt 

Next thing you know the English will be claiming Mo Farah as on of their own 

Mo can speak fluent English...so he’s a proper bonafide Brit in my eyes. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

My sister in law was born in Somali and came to US at 7. She is the most American ever.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Trying to catch up!

Crazy/sad stuff about Meza.

Running dreams? I can't remember ever having one of those.

Piwi - Ha!!!

With the weird conversation going on I'm quite surprised DWave hasn't unlurked for at least one awkward comment.

Kind of a low mileage week for me last week, and definitely a low on this week as well! I got 12.5mi in Monday before the family and I packed up to go on a bit of a vacation and haven't been able to run since. We spent some time in a state park to the south, then visited my parents for a bit.

While the trip to the state park was fun, it also kinda wasn't. The first day we were there I was scouting out a "trail" loop for a run the next morning. It turned out it was partial single track, but mostly no track with very technical / unrunable sections (requiring using hands to climb over large boulders). That wouldn't have deterred me from making a loop the next day, but what did was having run-ins with two diamondback rattlesnakes - within maybe 10 minutes of each other.

I swear I just "sensed" the first one and jumped back before looking down to see the non-threatening half of the snake slithering underneath a rock. This was at about the halfway point of the "loop", and I couldn't see any definite way down, so I decided to return the way I came after looking around and taking some pictures. The next one I heard rattle, and I IMMEDIATELY jumped back without regard for where I might land. I ended up landing on a rock about 2 feet from a drop-off. The snake was coiled up right in the middle of the trail (he was NOT there when I had passed that way earlier), and I had stepped within a foot or so of him - well within striking range. After waiting for my heart to stop pounding (yes, I checked my HR and it was only 78, no different than it was just scrambling over the rocks) I took a picture of the guy (I was safely about 10' off at this point) and then figured out a way to safely bypass him by scrambling up/down some nearby rocks and get down the "mountain". In the process I also swore off ever hiking in such a place again without full-on snake gaiters.

I can't get the image to embed, but here's the picture of the Noisy Danger Noodle.

Adding actual "injury" to near injury, I somehow managed to mess my neck up while sleeping that night, so I may be heading to the chiropractor Monday if things haven't cleared up by then.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

An encounter I've never had - snakes. Anyway that sounds good Keen, you've been putting up a lot of mileage (as you rightly pointed out to me and Mark) so a little down time might actually be good for you.

I decided to run my next 5K on a runway. I'm not sure how that's gonna turn out, because I imagine it could be both cool and incredibly difficult when you can see the finish line from a mile away. Anyway, it's on a Saturday which I prefer (I hate Sunday races because you have to watch what you eat/drink both Friday and Saturday, whereas a Saturday morning race allows me to go out to dinner and have a few drinks Saturday night). The downside also is absolutely zero shade, which is a problem when you're running 5Ks during literally the hottest time of the year. I'm praying for good weather but right now it's looking pretty much standard summer weather of 80 temp plus 70 DP, same as my last race, which would not be conducive to my 16:59 goal. If the weather stays like that, I'll shoot for 17:29 which would still be a big jump in 3 weeks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - whoa! That must’ve been freaky! Glad you’re ok.

JMac - that airport race could be a lot of fun - although if it’s hot I imagine the tarmac and lack of shade will amplify the heat. There’s a miltary airbase near us, kinda wish they would run one there as it would be a lot of fun  (they actually used to run a car race there when I was little). I recall the Christchurch Half, I could see the finish line from about a km away and that was into a headwind. It’s not so bad, just makes you focus on getting there as fast as possible.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Keen that is scary. We have nothing like that over here. OKC Thunder have completely changed their team for next year. Adam's hasn't been traded yet but it looks like hes next. So I may be leaving the OKC fan club. At least I got to learn a bit a out your home town.

Jmac you are so fast you might take off during that 5k 

Dpschumacher I jest about the country of birth thing as the world is a big melting pot of cultures now. I'm totally Kiwi even though born in the UK.

It is nice to have adopted people like Berhard Lagat though 

Mark I'm in Napier for a few days. We did a bike winery self tour yesterday actually our first ever wine tasting. Was so much fun and we were slightly drunk but the 30km bike ride sobered us up.

Hope the babysitting is going well today for you.

That was sad about that Frank guy on letsrun.

I was following it. That site is so messed up though. I shock you guys with my comments here but I get totally shocked at the racist and sexist attitudes on there.

The latest thread I'm following on there is the 53 year old who ran a sub 4.20 mile. Apparently you can't be fit at 53 unless you are doping...

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Or Meb! :-)

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Snakes - I went from having never seen a live, venomous snake in the wild to seeing two from WAY too close within just a few minutes and a few dozen yards of each other. Hopefully I go almost another 35 years before encountering my next pair. Although at that age I doubt how quickly I could get away from them...

JMac - I'm hoping that the extra days off will help more than they hurt.
                        The runway 5k sounds fun, but certainly could be a hot one. There's an abandoned uncontrolled airfield (small, for general aviation purposes) in OKC that I think would make a great course for a 1 mile.

Piwi - My wife got a news alert on her phone yesterday about the recent changes to the Thunder. My comment to her was that I'd probably get the scoop from you when I checked the forum today, then I wondered if you'd follow them and give me updates if Adams went somewhere else as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - looks like OKC really blew it up. I was absolutely shocked by the Paul George trade, but the Westbrook one made sense. You’ll have to just follow Steven Adams around!

I finally beat the Kiwis to posting first!

That generally requires a miracle of both a) no Sunday runs and b) getting my Saturday run done early. Both of those happened, as I moved my long run up to Saturday. I’ve been getting pretty burned out doing long runs on Sunday nights, especially when you have work the next day. This was a nice change of pace and it’s good to be done with running for the weekend by 11 am on Saturday.

Very happy with my week for the first time in a long time. I nailed my Tuesday workout which I completely bombed just 4 days prior. Not really sure what changed, as the weather wasn’t that much cooler. I also really enjoyed the 12x400 workout, I forgot how amazing 400s are and I’m excited to keep running them through the rest of the summer. Much better than 2 mile repeats! Finally, my long run this Saturday was in much cooler conditions as I was in a more rural setting. Found a nice path with shade, where the run started at 130 TDP. I finally felt like a human during this run and was able to get the pace down throughout the run naturally. I was getting pretty burned out recently due to the heat (no pun intended), as it really wears on you when every run is MP+120 seconds and you feel dead at the end of them. Although this was only temporary as the heat will return this week, it was good to know that my fitness is there, waiting to be awoken once the cool weather comes.

4th straight week of 60+, really building in some consistency now which is my most important goal of the summer after the very inconsistent spring cycle.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Jul 08, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 14, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 8.9 8:10 Evening Run strava
                          Tue 2.0 8:18 Warm up strava
                          Tue 6.3 6:47 4x200 + 4x1T + 4x200 strava
                          Tue 2.1 8:51 Cool down strava
                          Wed 8.8 8:11 Evening Run strava
                          Thu 10.2 7:57 12x400 (avg 1:14) strava
                          Fri 9.0 8:22 Morning Run strava
                          Sat 17.0 7:21 Morning Run strava
                            64.3 7:51  

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I'm permanent weekend babysitter at the moment as my wife is working Saturday and Sunday.  Apparently it's not called daddy daycare or babysitting if its your own kids, that's "parenting" haha.

JMac - nice week and good to see you are really getting the consistent mileage in now given the ups and downs earlier in the year.  You'll probably overtake my annual mileage sometime between now and the end of August I reckon.

Me - pretty decent volume week but the legs were a bit tired by the time today's long run rolled around.  Surprisingly Friday's hill repeat session was probably the best run of the week, normally I hate hill repeats but that one was good fun.

M: weights

T: 15.1km easy

W: 20.5km w/ build intervals

T: 13.5km easy / hilly

F: 14.1km w/ hill repeats

S: 5km easy

S: 25.1km long run

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nice week Mark. I thought our comparison was pretty interesting! You've got me by 30 miles right now, but you've run 15 hours less! Shows how fast you are on your average day. Elevation gain is fairly similar, and you've only down 9 more runs than me.

Mark Jack
                              Distance 1,360.4 mi 1,330.5 mi
                              Time 153h 168h
                              Elev Gain 49,154 ft 46,526 ft
                              Runs 156 147

Mark oh yeah I remember been scolded for calling it babysitting 

I see your 4.30am runs and I think man that is some dedication.

Jmac I struggle to come to grips with the NBA teams changing so much  mainly because most sports I follow are not so much a business.

The whole trading thing is very complicated. It seems that they tend to forget about building a team culture and loyalty which can make people perform better.

Ugh yeah long run Sunday night would be tough.

I don't have to worry about pressure of hitting a mileage anymore. I must say it's an awesome feeling.