Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Put me down for a few races. The Wurst Race Half on 10/5 (goal is to win, time be damned!), and the Dallas Running Club Half on 11/3. Goal, aside from massive PR, to be determined at a later date.

Motivation - Highly intrinsic here. I still remember the thought of "I wonder how fast I can run one of these things" after my first 5k (28:27, off the couch!). That's really what took off for me, though originally I wanted to start running because I thought I was getting too round. Weight loss just wasn't a proper motivator for me, but personal competition certainly was.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Timbo - I'm not in the US, but I've never seen a pace runner faster than 1:30.

JMac - yeah I hear you on the kid thing.  Keen has certainly worked around that, and so have I, but I've been lucky in the sense that my wife is self-employed and volunteered to take care of all the night duties with our little one.  I would say that, between work, family and running I really don't have time for anything else at the moment.  But once you've got a kid, it's almost more important to carve out a bit of time for yourself each day (whether that's running or something else) or a few times a week, and I'm sure your wife would probably appreciate the opportunity to do the same.

Anyway that is some suckage on the forecast.  Seems like your weather curse is heat and mine is rain.

Mikkey- thanks, yeah I'm pretty confident the 12.5 will be right as my feet run slightly wide.  Free returns if it's not!  I've got a half in early September that would be a perfect chance to test them out.  What are your thoughts on whether they'd be OK for a road 10k?  I've heard that they're not that well suited to 5k.

DPS - interesting, I'm pretty obsessive-compulsive as well when it comes to training, but that includes 1-2 days of not running each week as well.  Admittedly I normally do weights those days though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey- thanks, yeah I'm pretty confident the 12.5 will be right as my feet run slightly wide.  Free returns if it's not!  I've got a half in early September that would be a perfect chance to test them out.  What are your thoughts on whether they'd be OK for a road 10k?  I've heard that they're not that well suited to 5k.

I’ve never really looked for the perfect 5/10k shoe and always use those races to try out potential marathon shoes and work my way up. I’ve used the VFs from 5k to marathon and they’ve been amazing at every distance! I did a few training runs with my fellow 1:30 pacer earlier in the year (he’s near enough the same age as me with similar PBs) and he races frequently and reckoned the VFs gave him a 20 sec advantage on a 5k and around 3min for a marathon and I would have to agree with him on that!  I think Darkwave (the expert!) races 5ks in VFs once they’ve been used a few times. I believe they’re also better if there aren’t too many bends on the course. (they feel very weird when you walk in them)

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Just read through the last 15 pages of the thread that I had missed.  From the workouts, miles, and cricket matches to the needles in the butt...looks like I missed a bunch!  Summer has been in full swing here and I honestly have been doing too much Netflix binge-ing.  Miles are going good for me and looking to actually start some Phase II workouts this week except not thrilled that the heat index is going to get to the 115+ level over the next couple days.

JMac - Motivation is intrinsic for me to get out there and just get better but it doesn't hurt when someone says that I'm doing good or look stronger.  As far as kids, I've got 2 and it can sometimes be challenging to get everything done while also keeping the peace.  During the school year, I get a lot of my runs done after everyone goes to bed.  10:00pm runs don't make for a lot of good sleep but they do make for pretty calm neighborhoods and a TV all to myself for a recovery beer.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

So I am all signed up for the rest of the race circuit this year.

8/15 Minnesota Distance Running Association (MDRA) 15k

8/24 Rutabaga Half Marathon (Non Circuit race)

9/2 Victory 10k

10/6 Medtronic Twin Cities 10 Mile

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

For the non-cricketers here, that’s the equivalent of Game 7 in the final of the NBA championship going to triple overtime, still being tied, and then being won on a countback on 3 pointers or something like that.

Having said that, congrats to Mikkey and the English, that was an unbelievable final which will likely never be topped.

I can safely say I will never get over this one.  Somehow with every possible piece of freak luck or umpiring decision going against us, we still didn't lose but somehow don't have the trophy.  The only positive is that I am now finally at peace with the 1992 semi-final.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So I am all signed up for the rest of the race circuit this year.

8/15 Minnesota Distance Running Association (MDRA) 15k

8/24 Rutabaga Half Marathon (Non Circuit race)

9/2 Victory 10k

10/6 Medtronic Twin Cities 10 Mile

Do you have goal times for these?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

steve - I assume you're out for the half marathon on 8/4, correct?

cc - I love sleep too much, that's the problem!

dps - agreed with mark, I need the day off per week. I have run 7 days in a week in the past, but get burned out quickly. Would almost rather run 7 times in 6 days than 7 days a week. But I understand the OCD nature of this sport and the people it attracts.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - yep, I'm out.  This is taking painfully long to come right.  Hard to see myself being able to race again this year which is incredibly frustrating given where I was poised.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I can safely say I will never get over this one.  Somehow with every possible piece of freak luck or umpiring decision going against us, we still didn't lose but somehow don't have the trophy.  The only positive is that I am now finally at peace with the 1992 semi-final.

Admittedly you are a lot more of a cricket nut than I am Steve, but after the initial rollercoaster of emotions wore off, I just figured we couldn't have done anything more and it wasn't our day.

JMac - I notice it enough when I am running 6 days/week let alone 7.  I did 6 last week and my long run on Sunday was a real grind.  I think I need the 2 days off even more so at the moment when the typical week sometimes doesn't have any runs shorter than around 9 miles / 14km.

Steve - you are at risk of overtaking Flavio in terms of 'worst streak of bad luck' on this forum.  His eventually ended in a PR of course so I hope yours does too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

JMac

15k is on hilly sandy trail in woods so who knows.

Half marathon 1:29:00

10k 41:00

10 Mile 1:05:00

I honestly have no idea. I am thinking these would be hard but achievable.  It would not shock me to be +/- 5 min on any of these.

None are really flat courses but the 15k and half marathon are legit hilly. 10k and 10 mile have a long moderate 2 mile long hill but otherwise flat/slight down hill.

https://www.tcmevents.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/10%20Mile%20Course%20Map.pdf 

https://www.mapmyrun.com/us/columbia-heights-mn/a-run-mapped-on-07-10-2011-route-40961468

I want a sub 2:45 Grandma's Marathon and Twin Cities Marathon in June 2020 so this mostly about 1) don't get injured 2)Run hard...in that order of priority for actual racing in 2020.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Cc4life welcome back. Nighttime runs are pretty cool. Like you say very peaceful. My night runs are 5am though 

Schumacher with your younger 35 min 10k you have loads of potential to get back to that and possibly faster.

Mark those shoes will be awesome if you get them going by results of most people using them.

It looks like they are here to stay and they are just another advancement in tech.

There's a guy I watch on YouTube sometimes Ben Parkes hes got some good stuff on there on running. He reminds me of you , similar ability.

Steve I wish I could swap my healed piriformis for your injured one as I don't need to be race healthy.

Hang in there as it will come right at some stage.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

We had no luck.  But we did have luck getting to the semi final, if Pakistan won the game that was rained out, we would have not made the semi final.  If Braithwaite had got 1 metre more on his shot.

The luck gods had given us a bit during the round robin.

Still gutted though.  We have a golden generation, I am not sure when we will have another real chance.  Need to start playing guys like Worker and Young.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I can understand your pain as there were a couple of comical moments at the end.....the NZ guy throwing the ball back and accidentally hitting Ben Stokes bat for another 4 runs.....then you had the NZ guy catching Ben Stokes 6...and then falling over the boundary!!!!

Arise, Sir Ben Stokes. 😀

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Piwi I am very hopeful I can.  I have only been running anything other than mileage at a conversation pace.  I really am going to need a lot of speed work.  I think I could run close to an 18:20 5k, but I don't know if I could run a sub 5:30 mile for all the money in the world.  It is a really weird feeling for the first time to really have endurance but no 5th gear.  Most of my life I have had the speed to really drop down and out kick people, but lacked the endurance to win a race with someone going hard from the starting line.  I think I can get it back with time/training.

Good luck in keeping up the training for those races Keen.

Schumacher with your younger 35 min 10k you have loads of potential to get back to that and possibly faster.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k