Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Piwi - with school out (although I teach summer school), most of my runs aren't quite as late but I've never been a morning person for running. I can wake up but when I start running, I feel like the tin man!

JMac - I love sleep.  But I have kids who deem that my sleep is not important so...

Steve - Sucks to hear you're injured and unable to compete.  That's the absolute worst.

Schumacher Looking at your mileage and training, I think you'll beat all of those times.  Maybe that's my optimism but you're looking strong.  I don't have as high of mileage as you but I'm curious to see what you do.  Sounds like we are similar.  Ran for a while when younger and ran some decently quick times and trying to re-capture a little bit of that youth.  Although not as fast as some of these guys on this board!

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

CC ...  Basically moving from the Once a Runner to Again to Carthage stage of life.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - still haven't seen you out on Strava, you need to get back to easy running!

DP/CC - just confirming again you guys aren't on Strava

Mark - I used to feel that way about 6 days a week, but eventually got used to it. I guess in theory that could happen with 7 days a week too, but the problem with 7 days is there is never a rest day, so I'm not sure I could ever get used to it. I need that mental break of waking up in the morning and having no obligation to run this day.

Race Saturday - the forecast has gotten worse, somehow. The forecast high is now 101 degrees! I think the record high ever has got to be something like 105, so I am getting as bad as it gets. Race time should be 88 degrees and 75 degree dew point. I've never raced in a TDP of 160+, should be fun! I've seen tremendous growth in the past 2 weeks, like something just clicked, so I truly believe I'm in sub 17 shape right now. Hopefully that should translate to a 17:49, as that's my goal given the conditions, for a PR. There's a good chance they just cancel the race though.

I am, however, getting a little worried that I may be training hard all summer for a 5K PR for nothing. I will be 0-2 in 5Ks for weather, with only one more shot left in August before I move on to marathon training. I may be able to squeeze one more in in 2 weeks, but the nearest 5K is over an hour away that weekend and not sure I feel like traveling THAT much for a 5K. I can always race one this fall, but the whole point of this summer was to get in peak 5K shape and really focus on specific training with tons of rep paced work. Oh well, that's the deal when you try to peak during the 2 hottest months of the year: can't be upset if it's really hot on race day.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

JMac - That weather sounds gross for any race.  At least a 5K is shorter.  Hope you can get the race in though!  My wife talked me into a race in York, PA next month.  5K race that doesn't have many fast people so I'll try to get my sub-18 in the midst of my training.  They also give every participant a DQ blizzard at the end so I'll take it!  I'm on strava but mostly as an observer and I never post my treadmill runs there.  Post everything here instead.

DP - Need to pick those books up again.  Usually once a summer...only got halfway through the 3rd one though (can't remember the title at the moment)

"Current" PRs

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I'm not on...or even heard of strava. I'll Google it. Bummer about the race conditions. Last night I ran in 74 degrees after the rain and clipped through a hill workout and felt amazing. Hopefully they will hold the race. At 5k hopefully you can get in and out with a pr and get back to cool (early/late night) miles.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Cc4- racing the rain. Good book, but not really much about running so I read it less often. I listen to once a runner and again to Carthage on audible while running a lot after I'm out of podcasts. I had to stop listening to music cause I would get pumped, start pushing pace, and end up injured.

I have my Dad's original copy of once a runner from when it came out.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I accidentally stole "Once a Runner" from the library.  (My wife said she returned it...a year later, found it in my office but I had already argued with a librarian that it had been returned.)  I later bought the other 2 off amazon.  Don't really listen to anything during running except the occasional Redskins podcast.  But agreed...no music.

Strava - it's basically a runner's social media.  Pretty cool to keep up to date with everyone's running.

"Current" PRs

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

jmac - that makes sense. I've restarted running yesterday and thankfully the cough didn't get in the way.
                  Re: the race, I'll repeat myself. Focus less on time and more on competing against the other dudes, with luck
                  there will be somebody at a similar level (there usually are around 17:30). Also you're almost guaranteed to PR again.
                  Re: kids, it's not only running that will be impacted haha, you'll have time with the kids, work and not much else.
                  That's one of the main reasons we have chosen not to have kids. I like playing with my nephews 2, 3 times in the year

but I can give them back to my brother once I get bored.

Mark - yeah, so far I've lost 10 + 10 + 4 + 7, 31 days of training this year due to various colds.
                  I hope the doctor can figure this out, it seems my rhinitis is hitting me hard this year,
                  always a sore throat and then some opportunistic virus or bacteria seizes the moment to infect me.

Piwi - that's lovely that they're strong at 87. My dad also loves gardening and it makes him
                  mad that he can't go to the backyard to tend to his plants.

So Piwi wants to swap his ass with Steve's, where's MickJogger when we need him.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Jmac you could consider a 5000m time trial on a day and at a time when the weather is cooler. No one can deny the distance and it will give you some confidence if you can go sub 17.

Good that you feel your fitness went up a gear.

Schumacher once your weight drops I'm sure you will have big gains. Just let it settle naturally.

You will be more motivated and mentally tougher than your younger self. I didn't start till 42 and had no times to compare to. Yeah Strava is Facebook for athletes. It does give us a better connection to our cyber friends as you can actually see where in the world they live and how they train daily.

Cc4life yeah it takes me about 3 miles to warm up  I have 4 kids 13 to 21 so out of the no sleep stage. Now they just won't get out of bed !

Flavio some of these colds last so long. I'm cold free so far this winter. I'm putting it down to beer and chocolate 

I tried my first faster run for a few months yesterday. 3km warmup and then see if I can still manage sub 20 5k. I did it so you can't kick me off here yet. Mileage the last 8 weeks has only been around 12 to 16 miles/week.

I bought some shoes 2nd hand off our version of Ebay. Yeah I'm cheap . Nike Pegasus $80 nz

But only tried on once...hopefully 

This was the description

Description

my husband only tried this on. i gave it on his birthday but he said he doesn't like the style lol. bought it for 169$ selling it for a lot cheaper price. so grab a bargain

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks folks. I decided to throw another 5K on the calendar in 2 weeks (will wait to sign up for this one just in case it's another bad day!). If I have to travel over an hour, so be it. I'm not throwing this summer away because of awful weather conditions.

Kiwi - I don't think I could do a time trial, as there's something about a race that just keeps me going. If I got exhausted with 1600 to go in a 5K TT, not sure I would keep it up. Nice job on the shoe find by the way.

flavio - your reasoning is why we've pushed it off as long as we have. Really enjoyed the freedom it's given me, allowed me to travel all over the world and experience some cool stuff locally.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - wouldn't it be super interesting if it turned out the shoes you just bought are the ones that were stolen from your front yard some months ago 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I don't think we could ever kick you off here tbh.  You're kind of a life member.  Or mascot.  Or both.

JMac - that forecast is ridiculous. Fingers crossed the weather comes through for that alternate race, given the run of luck you've had it can't be much worse!

JMac/Flavio - there's really no rush to have kids, if you decide to have them.  They do change your life in a big way.  I was 35 when my daughter was born and my wife was 34.  Definitely agree with enjoying the freedom while you have it.  I mean, I love my daughter a lot but every now and then I do miss the days when on the weekends I could just do what I want, whenever I wanted!  Also being able to go on holiday and just take one bag was nice.

Me - you know how MJ always asks what the prize money is for races?  Well, although I have yet to get any of said prize money, I did win a competition with my gym (Les Mills), who are profiling a bunch of members as part of their marketing.  That gets me 3 months free gym membership which is not bad.

Bumped into Mark Boyce from my club when I was out running yesterday morning.  Road Relays are coming up at the start of October which is basically the big club event on the NZ running calendar.  This year it is down in Feilding which is a 7-stage course, all the laps are around 10km, and it's a lot flatter than the Christchurch to Akaroa course from last year (although not totally flat).  We should have a solid team, only one really quick runner but looks like everyone is sub-35 for 10km so we should be pretty consistent and hopefully improve on our 10th placing last year.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio no those shoes were buzzy bee yellow and black colour  I have a good security camera system now to catch them 

Mark unless you guys make a rule that you have to race to be on here I should be sweet.

Kids are bloody time consuming and expensive. Hence why I'm always looking for bargains.

They are awesome too and give  you a purpose in life.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well, they cancelled the 5k as I had worried they might. Makes sense, those kind of conditions with bright sunshine can lead to health consequences, especially for those who aren't heat acclimated and just out there to support the charity.

Bummer about that 5k Jmac!

Piwi: 80bucks for a used pair of shoes is crazy. Do they never go on sale in NZ? Even here in Cheeseland they sometimes clear their racks and you can get stuff at 50% off. Which is what I usually do. Dont care about the girlish colors.

Flavio: we always have the colds in synchrony. Am currently to get over a summer head cold. Get well!

Mark: well done on the gym. Finally. Soon you will be able to quit your job and do this full time Smile whats the website and do they have pictures of you up there?

Me: running mostly slow. And enjoying those Aussie wars in the Ironman between Macca and CraigA in 2010. That was great. Craig Alexander has a youtube video up where Toyota his then sponsor follows him 6 months prior to Kona and I had listemed to Maccas audiobook. Craig was so convinced. But Macca was clever.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!