Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Mick well $80NZ is $53 US so pretty cheap considering they haven't been used.

New shoes over here are around $200NZ in retail shops. That's why I usually buy mine online from overseas.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

JMac - Sucks that your race was cancelled but I agree with you, there's something about racing that just can't be duplicated for a time trial.  The adrenaline just isn't there.

Piwi - Based on my rudimentary math, $200NZ is around $132 US?  I buy my shoes from a local running store that opened up about 5 years ago but before that I bought them online.  They're probably a bit more expensive there but I've become a friend of the owner over the past bunch of years so it's more of social thing sometimes.  Supports the local community, I get a discount, and even once just randomly gave me a pair of shoes to try.  I used to be a solely Asics guy for almost 20 years but in the past year, I've been in a couple different pairs of Brooks and currently trying out some Altra Torin 4's.

Yesterday was my first phase II workout.  4 x (200R, 200j, 200R, 400j, 400R, 200j) with 1 mile WU, 1 mile CD.  High humidity but not crazy heat in the evening.  My goal was to run 40's for the 200 and 80's for the 400.  I got on pace pretty much right away with a 41 and 81.  After that, everything was on pace or slightly lower.  Nothing faster than 38 or 78.  Pretty pumped with a good workout.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

CC - that's a standard introductory R paced work from Daniels. I've been doing a bunch of 400s lately, which is just what you transition to later. I found that the workout you mentioned is a good introductory to the stuff, but it's not overly taxing doing 200s. I always found myself more refreshed after 200s, where 400s just kick your butt

Speaking of my 400s, yesterday's workout was so crazy. It started at a TDP of 162, which just means you are absolutely soaked after just the warmup. About 6 reps in, I realized that my legs were pretty gassed from my workout on Monday (and the heat) and I knew it would be a struggle just to get to the 12 reps from last week.

Anyway, about 10 reps in, I saw lightning to begin in the distance, so I figured that wrapping up at 12 reps would be good, and then I would just add more mileage to my cool down. Generally, being in Manhattan is one of the safest places to be outdoors in a thunderstorm due to the tall buildings, but I don't like being in Central Park given the lack of said buildings. I also had a pretty bad experience with a thunderstorm on a golf course recently so I don't take any chances.

Right as I exited the park to do my cooldown, it started to downpour. And the temperature dropped TWENTY degrees (33C to 22C) in about 5 minutes. I then proceeded to do my cooldown in the worst rain I have ever run in in my life, to the point where I almost lost one of my contacts because the raindrops were hitting my eyes so hard.

So yeah, 400 meter repeats are fun 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

JMac - Yep, stolen straight from Daniels half marathon plan...as are many of my workouts over the next 4 weeks.  The 200's I could have done all day but the 400's made me worry about pacing by the time I got to the end.  The hardest part was going from 400R and only getting a 200 before going 200R again.  It makes sense for the 200's to be easy for me as I've always had a kick.  The longer workouts 400's and miles will kick my butt though.  Your weather sounds like what we got yesterday BEFORE my workout.  Would probably just sit down, curl in a ball and cry if I had to run in it after a workout....

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Kids are bloody time consuming and expensive. Hence why I'm always looking for bargains.

They are awesome too and give  you a purpose in life.

I can't say anything to contradict any part of this. Schedule flexibility, disposable income, and sleep are overrated!

JMac - Bummer about the race getting cancelled, but in those conditions it's not really worth going all-out. Sounds like a nice workout before the rain hit, though. Sounds about like the storm I got caught in a few weeks ago.

I think I've decided to just to shorter reps of anything at/over threshold for a while. The heat/humidity absolutely did me in today just doing Ks. I know I need to build up some acclimatization again after nearly all last week off, but I think by trying to do a greater quantity of shorter distance intervals I'll end up getting in better workouts than trying fewer, longer intervals.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Wow!

I then proceeded to do my cooldown in the worst rain I have ever run in in my life, to the point where I almost lost one of my contacts because the raindrops were hitting my eyes so hard.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

MJ - they are doing photos and filming in a couple of weeks.

CC4 - nice job on the workout.  It's always nice to hit the paces early; I normally take a couple of reps before I really find my groove on those track workouts.

JMac - reminds me of my hockey days, very few things that stop play but suffice to say that if a thunderstorm appears, it's not a great idea to have 22 people running around in an open field waving big pieces of carbon fibre around.  Anyway that must've been seriously heavy to dislodge your contact.  I've run in all kinds of rubbish weather and I've never had an issue with my contacts (luckily).

Keen - totally see why you'd opt for shorter intervals in the heat that you guys get.  Even in our mild summer conditions longer intervals can be tough towards the end of the workout.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I once went windsurfing in a lightning storm. My mast was 4m of carbon fibre 

A Kiwi in 3rd at the Golf open....

Cc4 yeah the local retail shop supports alot of events with shoe prizes. Problem is they are double the price of online stuff. Also when I was starting I had shin splints and went in to the shop. They did a video gait analysis and put me in support shoes.

I'm a suppinator so totally wrong advice and my knees got real sore until I switched to neutral.

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - speaking of local running stores, Oska Baynes runs one in Christchurch.  I stumbled across a blog he did about his Christchurch marathon prep and victory.  2200km in 12 weeks!!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks Mark I will have a read. I should really try some new shoes other than Nike and Adidas to give me more options. Problem is you don't really know until you run in them. New Balance is one brand I have never used.

Mark what do you reckon, Ryan Fox to win The Open 

watsonc123

Reading Oska's blog he runs in New Balance.  I'm kind of on the fence regarding the Nike Varporly's as to how much better they are.  I suspect some people might benefit substantially, and other's not so much.  I've checked out forum's on this, some people find them way better, some are not sure, and some believe they have other shoes they're quicker in.

My cross country shoes are some basic New Balance shoes.  Very minimal, tough on the feet.  8km race is the longest cross country, it's about the limit I could handle racing in them.

I've been almost entirely Adidas.  I have some Nike Zoom Fly's I've just purchased, which I'll race in for next months 10k.  I've also had Inov8 which are minimalist, I wouldn't get these again as they're just too hard for my feet.

Re Oska's volume, that's 183km / 114 miles per week, so quite normal for a very good, sub elite marathoner.  He did a 28km workout in 90 mihutes, which is a pretty big workout.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That was a strange read. I’m not sure what exactly he was trying to accomplish. It wasn’t a race report as he barely talked about. It read more like a training history, but it wasn’t a training history. It was just a poorly written piece (sorry) where he was clearly just trying to get some promotional links in there. Guess it makes sense given it’s a store, but still, it was weird. How do you not even mention what time you ran in the race???

Piwi - Nike has so many types of shoes, I feel like it’s okay if you don’t try other stuff.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah I agree JMac, it was kind of muddled.  I was interested in some of the stuff about his training program but then didn't really know where it was going - there wasn't enough detail on either the training or the race report to really give a whole lot of insight.  He's a pretty interesting guy though - won the Auckland Marathon on debut in 2016 (2:20), then had an ongoing series of health issues (pericarditis, chickenpox), which took him out for over 12 months, then came back late last year, won the Auckland Half and now the Christchurch Marathon.

Re shoes - honestly, I live by the mantra of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.  I only changed out of Mizuno when they trashed the Inspire, and I won't change out of Saucony unless they break the Kinvara or the Freedom.  The only reason for giving the Vaporflys a go is that if they do make a difference, it'll likely be a pretty big difference.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Yeah I don't want to change shoes but because of NZs limited bargains, I can't always get my favs at a good price.

Reviews are helpful especially when other runners have run in both models that I have.

Watson from most of what I've read Vaporflys make quite a difference. The world marathon and half marathon records have dropped significantly in Vaporflys. Mikey's experience with them seems to back that up. I agree that some runners may not get an advantage,  possibly slower runners.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I have only been running in new balance 890 since they came out. They are on version 7 now. I am still using version 6 as I can find them cheap on line. Light weight neutral trainers. I race in some asics flats I have had for years. Only rave in them so they only have like 60 miles on them.

Ran 11 miles tonight in 1:21:06. Was supposed to be an easy run and I ran with my dog. It was in the low 80s and I just clipped along with little effort. First time I felt a bit of the old feeling of training.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k