Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Piwi -- Sucks about the previous bad shoe advice.  The running store I have here has some kind of UFO looking thing that you stand in and it analyzes your feet first.  Not sure how much radiation I'm getting but it's pretty cool.  Doesn't hurt that the owner has a 30 day policy about bringing shoes back if you don't like them.  He rarely gets takers on the offer but it helps know that you can bring back the shoes if they end up being totally wrong.

Yesterday's 5 miler at 10:15pm felt like a 12 miler at noon.  95 degrees even in the dark with 200% humidity.  Pretty sure I started melting as I touched the front door to go outside.  I'm sure this is all good things for my workout hopes today!

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

So the diagnostic seems to be acid reflux. It causes a constant sore throat, from time to time a virus will seize the chance and put me down.

Medications prescribed, hopefully they work.

It was uncomfortable to run repetition workouts yesterday mostly because I tired quickly, but I could run the 200 and 300 pretty close to planned so not too bad.

I'll have to give up my daily tea though. Luckily I didn't consume any coffee, soda or spicy food, so the transition will be easier.

Re: shoes, the US stores have the best return policy on the planet, probably because they re-sell those shoes (as if new) to poorer countries later 

Piwi - it's cute that you put up cameras to catch shoe thieves. Tauranga sounds like a very non-dangerous place 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Shoes - I've decided to ditch the Torins altogether. I didn't really see/feel any benefit from the extra cushioning, and the upper and lower started to separate a bit on the medial side that caused blisters. I've ordered a pair of Altra's new light trainer to try out on speed days - hopefully those come in at least over the weekend. I"m still lamenting the supply of cheap Escalante/Escalante 1.5s in my size apparently running out.
        I did pick up a pair of Cheaterfly's a month or so ago - I found a website that ended up marking them down to ~$150, and though I've never run in a pair of Nikes I felt a *need* to pick them up due to all I've heard and since they were about the cost of my latest marathon racers. I tried them on for size and put them up on a shelf. I figure I'll try them out when pacing a 15k in late October (7 min/mi group, which should be close enough to M pace for my purposes) and maybe I'll use them in my goal HM come November.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Piwi: I am el cheapo when it comes to shoes. But $53 US is pretty hard to beat. Hope the other guy smells similar to your feet Smile

Vaporflys: ran 21k in them once and had the worst blister eva. They desintegrate very quickly too. Lousy shoe. I will probably only use them for shorter stuff on the track.

Mark: Looking forward to the video shooting. I hope for you it involves interaction with young female athletes, somehow. Fingers crossed.

Flavio: that makes so much sense. Acid reflux . But crazy since you had changed your diet recently and had stopped eating like mad. So crazy you would get it now...anyways get well!!!

Schu: what kind of dog do you have? I am always kinda interested and thinking of a running mate with 4 paws.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Schumacher that's a nice pace for an 11 miler. Sounds like you got a rare " runners high " feeling 

Cc4life my first online overseas buy of shoes was Nike Lunaracer back in 2011 from Running Warehouse. Unfortunately they wont ship Nike out of US now.

Wiggle in the UK is my other major shop. They wont ship Nike either but It led me to start using Adidas adios and Boston which are both good for me.

Flavio well I put the camera system in as I thought I better start installing them due to the fact it compliments my burglar alarms that I've been fitting.

When i was in England earlier this year I could watch what my 13 yr old was up to.

Apparently he knew I was keeping an eye on him

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Haha hilarious picture. Were you meant? Were you able to see the pictures while back in London?

I love Adidas particularly the Adios and Boston. They are super durable too. Gotta check out wiggle again.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Flavio - Hope the meds work!

Piwi - Runningwarehouse and eastbay were the only places I bought my shoes online.  Eastbay when I wanted to spend my parents money in high school.  Runningwarehouse when I had to spend my own.

Mile repeat workout today scheduled and long drive + mini vacation on Sunday-Monday.  So assuming I live through the repeats in the heat today, then I guess it's a longer run tomorrow!

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

@jmac I have a vizsla. Great as long as I get 6-14 in a day. If not, they are super hyper.

This my dog. She is 5 y.o. and 40 lbs. Female she now runs with me every other day and has done up to 22 with me. She would go with me every day when she was younger but now is pooped if running everyday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/9myTWGwdHd/?igshid=d1zwxpnpvek6

Ps how do you insert pics. Can you only do it from computer and not from phone?

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - Yeah, this is probably a long recurring issue with sore throat, hopefully the meds can alleviate it.

Piwi - that picture is hilarious haha awesome!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Mick - was the 21k a race or training run?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

piwi - amazing picture, clearly got his sense of humor from you

Cheaterflies - do not run in them at easy pace, they feel like garbage. They're amazing at race pace though. And they definitely do wear down quickly, I only run in them for races and only expect 150 miles or so of use.

MJ - if you want a running partner, it's definitely a vizsla.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Schumacher use this site https://postimages.org/

Then upload your image to that site. Copy the 2nd url that it gives you. Then click on the insert image icon above to lhs of smiley face and paste url in. That should do it.

Beaut dog by the way.

Cc4 mile repeats nice let us know how they go. I think we can buy from US if we use a US address which is possible through some freight companies.

Jmac cheaterflies lols  yes hes a mini me but doesnt like sports. Hes tiny. Probably could be a good distance runner if he ever gets motivated.

Mick yes I can view on the internet anywhere in the world. I can control my burglar alarm from anywhere in the world too. In fact I had internet on the plane 10000m above Turkey and was viewing my security cameras live.

And you guys thought I wasn't brainy haha.

Wiggle haven't been cheap lately. It may be the current exchange rate.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Thanks piwi!!!

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Currently 93° with a heat index of 111° at 7:40 at night.......fml.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Currently 93° with a heat index of 111° at 7:40 at night.......fml.

Yeah I just ran in 90 temp, 75 dew point. It was awful, I forgot how it’s exponential with the pain. I’m not sure I can avoid 170 TDP tomorrow, which will be by far the worst conditions I have ever run in in my entire life. 165 has been my max so far. But I don’t see how I avoid 95 + 75 tomorrow given the high will be 100.

I will say: this is the only conditions that I think are worse than the cold. Otherwise, I will take “standard” hot of 150 TDP any day of the week over 15 degrees and windy.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)