Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I think the Rep work really prepped me well for these though, because I remember these hurting a LOT more during marathon training. Of course, you often warm up with 6 miles in marathon training instead of the 2 I did tonight, so that may be it 

Funny you mention this, I ran 7km tempo on my LR on Sunday starting from the 18km mark, which is not something I've really done before.  The legs were definitely hurting for that.

Also my flash new Vaporfly's arrived.  The 12.5 sizing was bang on.  I went for a walk and it felt like I had two small trampolines on my feet.  I'm excited to try them out but I'm gonna wait until I've got a short-ish road workout.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Quick question if anyone is on tonight. A local race in our city is offering 2k in prize money for top 3 teams of 5 people. It is Wednesday so our club is ditching the group run that night and some are going for the money (we have a handful of sub 15:10 5k guys). Do I run the 5k and try for something in the mid 18:00 range or do I go with the non racing guys and get in a run and go watch the finish. Just trying to decide if it is worth the wear and tear. The race is a big one as it goes down the main drag of the city before a big torchlight parade. This is in Minneapolis MN were I live.

If I run I need to sign up in next 2 hours before close.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DP - I never race 5Ks, but the first one I raced a few weeks ago, barely even felt like a workout. Granted, I ran it like shit because of the heat, but generally there isn’t much “wear and tear” from a 5K. You can run easy the next day and get back to workouts within 2-3 days.

Mark - they’re SUPER goofy when you first walk around in them. I remember both being so excited, and confused, at how they felt. When you start running in them, it’s not like you feel like you’re just springing along, but there are moments where you notice them shine. For me, it was up hills where I felt like I was getting more lift than usual. Also yeah, get ready for that feeling cause you’ll eventually run another marathon. They’re all about running 20KM first, and then tempo running. Total bitch to run but they really prep you.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

DPS - 5k's aren't too bad in terms of recovery, basically just a tough tempo run.  If the conditions are good and you have a shot at sharing the prize money I'd give it a go.  If it's a big race then that can add atmosphere and help you along to faster times too (particularly if you can find some other runners to work with).  But if the weather is rubbish it might not be worth it.

JMac - haha simultaneous post there!  Yeah I have to admit I did think of some of your marathon training sessions partway through that tempo block.  I then also had to deal with the climb home back up Upper Harbour Bridge and Tauhinu Rd just to add some extra suckage.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I won't be anywhere near the prize money but if the fast guys in the club win (likely) we don't have to buy beer for the rest of the year for post run thirst. 1k for 1st team 500 for 2nd and 3rd.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Schumacher go for it let's see what you can  do 

Jmac nice on the vo2max. They always leave me with a niggly cough.

Mark is that Daniel Jones from Whakatane? If so he often wins King of Mount run on boxing day. His father was pretty legend too I think. 2.16 is legit.

Those cheater shoes are going to propel you to sub 16 5k you know. I would buy them if I was into racing and had the cash.

I tried an honest easy run this afternoon. I didn't check my watch and with even effort started at 5.24/km and progressed to 4.52/km without any noticeable change in effort.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark is that Daniel Jones from Whakatane? If so he often wins King of Mount run on boxing day. His father was pretty legend too I think. 2.16 is legit.

Yeah I think he is from there originally but lives in Welly now.  He worked at PwC for a bit which is how I know him.  He has basically been training full-time since he left.  He ran 2:18 in Japan a few months ago at Lake Biwa so pretty impressive that he could knock off a couple minutes more that quickly.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

schumacher - you have super human weight loss abilities!
                  That was a nice week too.
                  And go for the race. Sub 18 or bust!

Marco - I think breaking 40 is a given now with all the fitness you've gained in recent months.

jmac - that's an impressive set of 1000s, if I could run that I know I could run 16:40 at least for 5k.

I say challenge a few locals around your fitness for a 5k impromptu race, so you don't feel lonely as in a time trial.

me - Today was the last workout in the strength phase, it was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but cold got in the way.

Anyway, I'm glad to have completed that phase as running 400s in 800 pace and 800's in mile pace is very exhausting.

Yesterday we started with the focus on power during functional training and I can see that it will punish my legs even more than the focus on strength. Lower weights but 12 reps and exploding on the hard part of the exercise. So in the pushups I'd go down slowly over 3 seconds then explode back up, repeat 12 times.

The running training is gonna change too as I can see now 400's will be run at mile pace.

By the way, my wife is totally kicking my ass. Not only she didn't have to stop, she's actually running closer to the prescribed paces.

She ran 7:12 in her 1500m time trial, I'm confident now she'll likely run 6:50 or lower.

As for me, I'm still confident I can run sub 5, not sure if I'll be able to break my PR of 4:57 yet.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I ended up signing up. Definitely not going sub 18 Flavio....I don't have that gear yet...but with my 18:59 in june, I'll try to knock off another 20-30 seconds. I will warm up, run the race...and then jog home. It is 8 miles home so the milage for the week won't suffer much.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Pace can be a very poor measure of effort.

I humbly submit today's workout as a great example of this. Alternating 5 minutes at threshold effort and 1 minute 5k effort for half an hour. Two of the 5k segments are actually slower paced than the threshold segments around them.

The kicker is that those 5k segments were nothing but uphill (the fastest was basically flat), while the threshold segments were long enough to have at least some downhill or flat to them (the entire workout segment is net uphill). Even looking at HR there's only a small uptick on the 5k segments, but based on power numbers and perceived effort they were definitely harder.

Flavio - You look like you're making some killer progress. Sounds like your wife is doing really well also. My wife has been picking up running again, and should be running the same 5k I do at the end of next month.

Marco - I agree with Flavio. And if you can go sub-40 you should certainly be able to cruise under 90 for the half.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - I'll add to what other's have said, your weight loss this year is crazy. Just confirming it's healthy to lose that amount that quickly!

Piwi - every time my first mile is a good minute slower than the rest, I think of you and your comments about how long it takes to warm up. I feel like it keeps getting slower and slower for me, with sometimes 2-3 miles needed before I'm truly warmed up. It's not even weather, just creaky legs.

Flavio - I'm just praying for decent weather. I know it won't be ideal, but I think if I could get a morning of low 70s with DPs in the 60s, I can go for that sub 17.

Anyway Flavio, I'm confused by your workout. How can you possibly run 800s at mile pace and 400s at 800 pace? Seems to me that you're either sandbagging what your true 800/1600 pace is, or there's something I'm missing in the purpose of this workout, because I would only be able to run at most 3 reps.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

To the weight loss thing...  I was doing about 5000 steps a day (work, home, everything combined) and sitting in my cubical all day.  I had fast food every day for lunch and plenty of pizza and junk for dinner.  So by bringing salad and sandwiches, and I stopped eating dinner and started eating breakfast.  My breakfast were lower calories compared to what I was eating for dinner.  Additionally I was getting in 2-3 miles walking during my breaks at work.  Finally, i was running, push ups/sit ups.  All told per Garmin i was burning about 3500 calories a day and eating about 1800-2200 calories (rough estimate) through early summer.  You will see i started to have some shin and hamstring issues in early spring.  I had to cut back on running for a bit to lower miles at a 10-12 min pace.  If you look at my log it is pretty obivious the area i'm talking about.  It was also likely from running too much too fast before my muscles were ready.  I also upped my protein take.  Now that I am at 70+ miles a week, I eat as much as I am hungry for, but still eat salads, sandwiches, cliff bars, etc for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I do treat my self to a Chipotle burrito once a week on Fridays for lunch....because...well chipotle is delicious.

Basically I stopped treating body like crap and it dropped of pretty easy.  I between walking and running I get in about 22-25k steps in a day and still doing push ups and sit ups.

My main thing is getting in mileage and not getting injured.  I have had a string of 100 plus miles week and ran for my college, so even what i'm doing now feels slow and hard compared to my past self.  That has been part of my being conservative in my racing times, as i'm trying not to go for broke truly in a race and ending up with a torn muscle or other injury.

I got a physical in June and all my bloodwork and everything checked out...so it was not easy to go without any good food, but no i'm back to plenty of pasta, occasional steak, and potatoes....glorious potatoes (grilled...baked...fried....hashed....mmmmmmmmmmmm).

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - It is possible with a sensible recovery. This was a theme throughout the focus on strength. Super fast reps with longer recoveries. Akin to when you're lifting heavy weights and you also take big breaks between the sets.

Ex: today I had 3x400 / 800 then again 3x400 / 800

After each 400 I had 90 seconds of recovery, after each 800 I had 2 minutes of recovery.

Schumacher - It is still very impressive to drop that many Kg so quickly. It looks like you were really working hard to gain weight beforehand, like you mentioned 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - yeah excellent example there. I tend to rely on HR as a measure of effort - it's good, but still not as good as the power meter which is probably the gold standard on that front.

Flavio - gun for the PR!!

DPS - that is a great turnaround.  It's amazing how much difference diet and cardio exercise makes.  When I was doing weights and eating not very well I was up around 87-88kg.  I eat pretty well now (not perfectly and I never will either) and am running ~90km/week and am down around 71kg.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I'm 6ft tall too so 160 lbs is about as low as I can get without being unhealthy.

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k