Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I'm 6ft tall too so 160 lbs is about as low as I can get without being unhealthy.

Yeah I think there is a natural limit for most of us based on genetics and training history.  I'm 5'10 and wouldn't want to go much lower than my current weight, although optimal weight varies a lot between individuals.  I've heard a few stories of endurance athletes that overdid the weight loss thing a bit and found that they got to a point where they just didn't have any power or energy reserve to draw on.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'm 6ft tall too so 160 lbs is about as low as I can get without being unhealthy.

I was going to ask how tall you are.

I'm a bit over 6'1" myself, and was between 159-160lbs when I checked last week. I'm pretty tall compared to most but with a fairly slight frame. I'm basically right in the middle of any healthy height/weight chart you could find, and could even drop some weight if I wanted and still be quite healthy. After all, I'm not at 5% body fat or so, so there's still some dead weight to be shed.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As Flavio has said before, Americans really know how to get fat very quickly.

My wife keeps asking me to gain weight, and I told her as soon as I stop running, she can be sure that I will put a good 10 lbs on. Unfortunately, I've realized it'll go to my stomach, so I'll still have skinny chicken/runner arms.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

@keen yeah. I'm fairly broad shouldered. I think the smallest waist I have had since I've been 6 feet (age 18) is 30 inches. I always played multiple sports and didn't run alone until college. I played basketball, american football (til 16) and tennis. On top of xc and track.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

It's good to hear you guys have a healthy approach to body weight. Elites are 50 to 60kgs. Only Jmac is close to that build I think on this thread. I have never had body fat % checked and haven't weighed myself for ages but I was starting to get a wad of fat around my stomach. Since picking up my mileage the last couple weeks and cutting my beer consumption, I already feel thinner.

I'm a 5'8 70kg 150lb frame when I'm fit.

Schumacher yeah I think taking a cut lunch from home helps alot and saves money. One reason Kenyans are good runners is they don't have all the bad food distractions we have especially out in the country side.

Mark nice workout today. Zane Robertson mentioned his pre race and workout meal is nothing more than canned tuna and rice.

I got my new/2nd hand Nike Pegasus a couple of days ago. They were so nice to run in. My old ones were so compressed. Anyway today after I got home one was missing from my van as I had run in between jobs. Dam back I went to where I parked and nothing there. Luckily I found the shoe hiding under a ledge by my sliding door 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

just PR'd by almost three and a half minutes with a time of 1:22.57 this past weekend at the Chicago RnR. Great to see the hard work paying off on the Pftiz 18/55 for the Chicago Marathon

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Good job timbo.

Piwi...nice save by finding the shoe.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

watsonc123

My frame is roughly as thin as JMacs.

Timbo - nice work.  You need to post regularly.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Wow this thread got really active the past couple days.  I'll try to catch up this morning!

Went on a mini-vacation to Williamsburg (Busch Gardens/Water Country amusement parks) over the past couple days in the horrible heat.  Got in some really minor runs in the early morning hours but otherwise just suffered in the parks with all the other idiots hanging out in the sun.  Made the lines pretty short though!

As far as frame, my wife always says I need to gain weight although I still kinda eat like a college student so I'm trying!  I'm 6'2'' and approx 162-163 most of the time.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

As Flavio has said before, Americans really know how to get fat very quickly.

This is certainly true. It seems to me that the issue is so bad that many people's perception of what a good/healthy/not fat person looks like. Fun fact: I'm a bit over 4 inches taller than the average man in the US, but I also weigh 10+ pounds LESS than the average woman in the US. I have some more comments on that whole subject but I'll leave them for now.

Piwi - Lots of those elites, predominantly those from east Africa, are in the neighborhood of 5'3', 5'4" or so, too, so being 130 pounds soaking wet isn't necessarily unhealthy for them. Even the European/American (who tend to be a bit taller in general) elites are typically shorter than the average population, aren't they?
                      How hacked off would you have been to have immediately lost a new-to-you shoe??

CC - Hey, we're pretty much the same size! Short lines would certainly be a plus in the heat, though I imagine walking around on concrete/asphalt all day would make the heat seem worse than it would have been otherwise.

I found out yesterday that there's going to be a full/half marathon and 5k at the end of September in a town half an hour from where I grew up (the city I was born in, actually). This surprised me quite a bit since I don't know that there are even 5k's regularly in that whole region of the state. If it wouldn't mess with what I already had planned I'd certainly run the full just for the heck of it. I may be in the area that weekend anyway, so perhaps I'll go burn down the 5k just for kicks.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

cc - do not try to gain weight. You may want to be stronger, that is possible without gaining weight.

You have superior genetics that make you immune to most of the common diseases and will probably make you live longer (and better). No need to let that go Smile

Schumacher is up next, go get it!

I'm here waiting for the rain to subside so I can go run. It's been raining non stop for about 20 hours now. If it didn't have lightning I might have braved it.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Keen - I'm always told I look too skinny but I'm pretty much in line with what I should be.  The US likes to gain weight, have random health kicks, but also don't want to comment on anyone's bad health habits.  It's very confusing.  It was hot but lots of water and we managed okay.

Flavio - Not trying AT all although it happened by default when I starting running again consistently about a year ago.  Used to be closer to 155 and then got to where I currently am.  A little weight in muscle worked for me.

16 200's on the schedule today and it's not supposed to be too hot or humid so I should be good.  I find 200s pretty easy but haven't done 16 in a while so we'll see how it goes!

"Current" PRs

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CC - I get that as well. I usually reply that I'm skinny relative to most people you see, and that I'd hardly look out of place if I was in a picture with my grandfather and his buddies from the 40's. I'd be taller than any of them, but they'd be more muscular/lean than me (my grandfather grew up farming/picking cotton, I sit at a desk all day).
                            200's are fun, I've been thinking of doing a bit set of those soon. 400's start fun, but after a while really start to feel like "work" to me.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Yeah I thought I had a set of 10 400's today but that's not for a couple weeks so I was pleasantly surprised.  I get annoyed at 400's for some reason.

I do have a cousin that is 6'7'' and skinny as well.  Not an exerciser or anything...just weird genetics so I usually just say something about him if I feel like it.  Otherwise I just say, "Yep!  I'm skinny!"

"Current" PRs

Marky_Mark_17

Me - exactly one month until my next race.  I discovered yesterday that the NZ Road Race Champs course at Bruce Pulman Park has removed the horrible S-bend from the Auckland Road Champs course that was detested by every runner I know.  As long as it's not windy, it should now be a pretty quick course.  I hope they've made the same change for the Auckland Road Champs course (I can't see why they wouldn't, other than to be complete b*stards).

Timbo - nice race, try to hang around and post a bit more regularly.

Piwi - great work on the shoes!! I left one of my favourite hoodies in the lockers at work last night.  Luckily it was still there this morning.

Keen/CC - I actually quite like 400's, although I prefer 800's.  I find 200's a bit short.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"