Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Mark - I’ve been rolling it with a spiked massager today but I’ve got some foam rollers coming from amazon. Hoping that can help as well. For most runs, it’s taking me a mile or two to get warmed up in that area at all. Not normal for me but since it’s been a while since I’ve done this type of mileage or workouts, I’m not sure what’s normal at this point.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Cc4life good luck with the injury. I had a piriformis issue after going too hard at hillsprints. It lasted about 8 weeks.

Flavio yes those shorter track distances are doable on 30 to 40 mpw I think with the right workouts chucked in. There is a good track here and a club. I think I can enter summer events as a non club member. They don't generally get alot of competitors in those races and all age groups run together. There are still quite a few 50 plus runners who are alot faster than me. Sub 1.20 half guys I've noticed in results online. I'm waiting till they all drop away through injury etc and then I can win the 90 plus age group 

My Strava app on my android phone wont load up on Wifi. It's fine on 4g. Anyone else have this issue ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Piwi - Not going to lie...no clue what "piriformis" was so I had to google.  Last night after rolling, I started doing random stretches while lying down until I hit the affected area.  Now after reading, it seems to almost match the stretching I did so it may be the issue.  It's definitely a pain in the ass!  I have a supposed workout today (a repeat from 2 weeks ago) so we'll see how the leg cooperates.  Regardless, I'll be ordering some foam rollers from Amazon today anyways.

"Current" PRs

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Piwi - Not going to lie...no clue what "piriformis" was so I had to google.  Last night after rolling, I started doing random stretches while lying down until I hit the affected area.  Now after reading, it seems to almost match the stretching I did so it may be the issue.  It's definitely a pain in the ass!  I have a supposed workout today (a repeat from 2 weeks ago) so we'll see how the leg cooperates.  Regardless, I'll be ordering some foam rollers from Amazon today anyways.

cc - If the pain is butt and hamstring then it could be sciatica. I had to take some time out earlier this year with piriformis and used a tennis ball to roll with as it’s easier to find the hot spots and more intense than a roller. I did a lot of stretching...I googled the suggested stretches and figured out the best ones that hit the affected area.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey guys, sorry for being MIA recently. Was away all weekend but have been lurking. There have been some really good weeks in here. Nothing to report with my week last week as I was down a bit in mileage, as I took the opportunity for a 70% down week given the build up over the last 2 months.

5K coming up this weekend for me. Temps look cooler than they have for my past two races, but still high kiwi points in the upper 60s. I'm pretty sure I'm going for sub 17:00 no matter what out of the gate and just trying to hold on for dear life. It's a BOTT year, I'm not leaving this summer without a 16:.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Welcome to the new guy Jmac 

Mikey keep your kinky tennis ball habit out of here 

Cc4 I didn't know anything about piriformis either although I remember a few of the guys on these forums having issues with it over the years. It can effect your sciatic nerve so pain can radiate. I had an aching in my hip area from it. I thought I was doomed with arthritis but thankfully no.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Got the workout in tonight and it really just takes me to get successfully warmed up. 200s and 400s were successful and I cooled down fine. I had a random pain where I really didn’t want to feel it for some of the run but it really didn’t hinder my running once I got going.

Im getting the tennis ball out now and giving it a shot. Just stretching some earlier definitely helped a little. Should probably do more of that...I’m not flexible whatsoever.

"Current" PRs

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Mikkey- you win. Tennis ball worked nicely and hurt like hell. Although I only got it for 5 min before the dog stole it from right under me!

"Current" PRs

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Got my interval work out in tonight. My watch had the workout preprogrammed in and when I thought it started it didn't actually. So my warm up was actually 2.4 miles and cooldown 2.6. I added a mile on cause other wise I would have been at a stop light right in the middle of my last interval.  Total distance was 11.5 or so.

2 mi warm up /4x1 mile @15k (6:15) e w/ 3 min jog / cool down jog home 2 miles

6:14
                    6:19
                    6:32
                    6:12

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikey keep your kinky tennis ball habit out of here 

The tennis ball is not my kinky toy.  It is the ball from my dogs Chuck it ball launcher. Honest!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CFarr - Awesome to hear about the trip and the clear from the PT! What's the race you'll be doing?

It was a great trip for sure I was really lucky to be able to have that one on one trip with my son.

True to the Brew it's a trail half should be fun, best thing is it was free and is right here in my town so no traveling!

https://runsignup.com/Race/SC/Spartanburg/TruetotheBrewTrailRunHikeHalfMarathon

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - good to see you're back running!

cc - yeah tennis ball wins, at least for piriformis, just don't overdo it,
                          I get it 30s each side, 2x tops.

Jmac - hell yeah, sub 17 or Gaga

dps - some fast miles

Piwi - LOL LOL LOL

me - got a personal best at the 200 yesterday, 32.71. Now I have a lifetime goal of sub 30.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - you can definitely get sub 30, especially given you did that 200 after other reps.

Me - I've never had a cramp when running. I've had exactly one in my life before last night, but I just got the WORST cramp in my calf in the middle of the night last night. I almost screamed out with pain. I could barely walk this morning! I cannot believe how sore they make you. I hope this recovers by Saturday morning, but wow, I cannot believe some of you guys have to deal with this during a race.

If anyone has tips of how to make it recover more quickly so I'm 100% by Saturday, I'm all ears!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

jmac - assuming it's tightness, I commonly use the massage ball. I sit like the japanese on my achiles and put the ball in between the hamstring and the calf muscle. You can move it around to find the tightest spots. I generally start at upper calf then move down to the soleus.

calf/soleus massage ball

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Several months ago that happened to me several nights. I never found what the issue was; it just stopped happening. But wow, were my calves sore for a day or so after each cramp.

Trying to decide what to do for a workout in the morning (I should sit down and actually write out a plan for this stuff). 6-8mi M effort? A bunch of 200's, 300's, or 400's? I've already done one workout this week between threshold and 10k effort. I guess I'm leaning toward the short reps - largely because of the heat/humidity. Forgive me for just wondering this all out-loud...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: