Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Watson - That pretty much sums up my feelings about fall/spring marathons. We don't get that much rain, but my issue with spring marathons is that we train in weather that likely wouldn't ever get above 40*, then come race day it might be 60-65* and it's just really hard to cope with without any acclimation. I think peak marathoning season (around here) is probably early November-mid December, then maybe late February to (at best) late March/first week in April.
    Also, nice week.

MJ - How'd you hurt yourself on vacation???

JMac - Great race result, especially in the conditions. Sub-17 will be there with proper racing weather. RR incoming?
    I do agree that a HM and shorter can be raced without fuel, but at least from a psychological perspective having some helps. Perhaps that's just the Noakes research coming out.
    Enjoy the time at altitude this weekend!

Piwi - Looks like you've had a pretty good running week.

CC - Bummer that you're not getting to actually run in the mountains, but good job sticking with the TM.

Flavio - Another great week.

CFarr - Good work coming back.

DPS - Good week, but bummer about the last few miles of the race. 15k is kind of a tricky distance to pace. For many of us in the thread it's right around actual LT. Nice that you're coming away from it having learned a few things.
    For me, my pre-race breakfast is usually 4 stroopwafels (I prefer Honey Stingers, but Gu are also good), which is right at 600 calories. I'll eat them right when I wake up, typically a solid 3 hours before race time. Lots of carbs without much fiber so it all easily digests (I typically don't eat many carbs - I like a "train low, race high" philosophy regarding this). Then depending on the race maybe a gel ~10 minutes before the gun goes off.

Steve - Sorry to hear about the frustrations. What are you seeing for the "false starts"?

The local running club has started their group LRs aimed at training for the Route 66 Marathon (Tulsa), so I dropped by for a little social interaction. In general the first group runs tend to be smaller than the later ones, and the training groups in the fall also tend to be smaller than spring (OKC Memorial is a big target race that drives this), but the group was really big - 200 or so, with lots of new people. I only saw one person I knew, and couldn't find anyone else who was planning on running ~15, so my "group" run ended up being mostly solo anyway. It was nice having the water stops, though!

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Jul 29, 2019 thru Sunday, Aug 04, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
    Mon 12.7 7:52 8x 1k @ CP 157 (80%) strava
    Tue 11.9 8:15 2 rabbits & 1 hawk 143 (73%) strava
    Wed 11.3 8:30 1 hawk 142 (72%) strava
    Thu 12.9 8:06 12x 1/4mi R 157 (80%) strava
    Fri 11.5 8:20 2 herons, 1 hawk, and not enough rain to cool me down 137 (70%) strava
    Sat 15.1 8:03 First Landrunners run in a long time 140 (71%) strava
      75.4 8:09      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marco you are a very busy man. I think its important to have some stress relief in the form of running as it's a great mental and physical therapy.

Keen that is one huge pack run. Bigger than some races over here 

My mega pack run 2 sundays ago was only about 10 of us and I was the slowest 

Running with others makes the long run so much more bearable though.

I beat Paterson out this morning and ran at 5.15am. It was much better for me than early afternoon where my energy levels really suck for some reason. I'm definitely a morning runner. Tried the New Balance  Zantes for the first time.

They were pretty good. They need to be used at speed due to a mid to forefoot propulsion dynamic built into the shoe.

Problem is I need a few kms to warm up 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - +1 to Flavio and JMac's recommendations on strength training.  I did it before I was a runner, and have kept doing it since I started running, and I would honestly say it is a combination of that, regular visits to my osteo, and sheer good luck that have meant I've had relatively few injury issues.  Compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and standing shoulder press are your friends along with specific work targeting any weak/problem areas.

Piwi - nice job, I had a small sleep in given the holiday, but you probably would've been out before me even on my normal schedule!  Coach wanted me to do some HMP efforts tomorrow, there's really not a lot of flat spots here but I scoped a 1.5km lap around the reserve by the lake here that will do the job OK.

Me - we went up to Cardrona this morning, didn't get any snowboarding in but had a great time helping our daughter learn to ski.  Honestly maybe I'm turning into a snow snob but standing in a 10 minute queue for a run that might last 5 minutes just didn't appeal regardless of whether we had a toddler in tow.

Anyway, on the way back my wife was driving so I got to scout the course for the Southern Lakes Half Marathon.  It starts just below the skifield access road and finishes in Wanaka by the lake.  It is going to be ludicrously fast.  It starts at 500m (1640 ft) above sea level and finishes at 300m (1000ft), so not high enough for altitude to be a problem, but it is a very steady downhill most of the way, with only 1 or 2 very small undulations, and no sharp turns (it's a point to point course on a major road).

The only slightly interesting thing will be that the road is still open to traffic and there's no footpath so runners have to hug the verge but man I'm excited about running fast on that course even though it's not until April next year.  Given the big net downhill my time will have a big asterisk next to it but man I'm excited!  Normally the beautiful courses are slow (hills) but boosting it down the Cardrona Valley is going to be fun AND fast.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Downhill 200m cannot count as a PR.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Downhill 200m cannot count as a PR.

In theory I agree.

In practice, Athletics NZ counts the (similarly downhill) 10km Southern Lakes HM course on the national ranking/records website, and the Kerikeri Half Marathon which has a similar level of net downhill (albeit with a climb over the first 7km) has previously hosted the Athletics NZ Half Marathon Champs.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jack your suggestion sound like it is right in line with what I was thinking.

Right now I am running only 3 days per week just working on slow and steady runs to make sure I give myself some recovery between runs.

I have about 7 weeks before my HM, the "plan" is to build up weekly and get in a long run of at least 13 miles the week before that,  and just finish the race.

If I am lucky enough to get actually get into Boston, I have targeted two more HM> Kiawah Island HM in Dec 14th, and Swamp Rabbit HM on Feb 28th. as part of my build up, each of those will have a more specific goal time.

Hopefully recovery will be going well and this injury will become just a memory.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson - watchless for the win!
                marco - howdy busy man!
                Keen - stroopwafels hmmmm
                Piwi - being the slowest in the pack is great
                Mark - it counts as a downhill PR LOL

Corey - keep that strength training, it will definitely help come race day

me - I'm itching to race, but there are still 4 and a half weeks of training. Must resist temptation! Also must stay healthy.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ha yeah 600 feet of elevation loss for a half is not exactly worthy of a PR in a half. The only way I would consider that is if it was something like 1000 feet of gain, 1600 feet of loss. Then that's some real climbing that negates the effect of the net drop. Boston is 380 feet of elevation drop, but a) it's over double the distance and b) has 555 feet of gain during it. I can say from running it that I would have much rather run a flat course than Boston as the hills are just so awfully timed.

Flavio - I like your quick hitting responses. No fluff from you.

Piwi - why don't you tell us about other forms of stress relief? 

keen - feel like it's been so long since you raced that I have no idea what kind of shape you're in. Also those 400 meter reps were all OVER the place in pacing!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks JMac, Flavio, CK and Mark.  I do weights 3 times per week in the normal course of events and the physio has added about 5 3 times daily hamstring strengthening/stretching exercises.  I've found I can run 20 mins with no pain, then 2 days later it feels borderline so I don't risk it, then another 2 days later it feels much worse.  Interestingly, I've narrowed it down to the squats I do as part of my weights.  Currently it's making things worse so I've eliminated that for now.

The pain is minor and doesn't impact any other part of my life.  Even running it is minor but on the false starts, it starts to get worse so I don't try and push through it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I was actually discussing this with Brew earlier - I haven't actually raced anything since that marathon last fall, so I have no idea where my fitness is either! I likely won't get a race with decent weather to actually check my fitness until my goal race this fall. 
                      I think I'm in better shape now that I was at the same point a year ago, mostly because I'm able to knock out 11-13 mile runs most every day in the heat with my HR/effort in check, but without needing to stop.
                      I can't really compare workouts because last year I was doing all of them on the track or a flat trail to prepare for that flat marathon, and I'm 100% on the roads right now.
                      Looking at "the numbers" (hours/miles training at different HR/power, etc.) I should be in killer shape for a HM or shorter race - the only thing keeping me from better shape in longer race is a lack of 16+ milers.
                      And yes, from a pace standpoint those reps were ugly! Such is the price one pays for running on the roads. Some are dead flat (first two reps), some are all uphill, a couple downhill - some were a mix, but most were majority uphill. I will admit to letting my mind wander late in the workout and not running #10 or #12 as hard as I should have.
                      Geez, this reply was so much longer than I thought it would be...

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

3rd time I've written this post I keep hitting the back button!

Keen I haven't been following closely but it seems to me that you have a huge base now. That has to be good.

Flavio congrats on the 200 and 800 pbs today. Usain is only 10 secs ahead of you 

Mark nice workout today. I get psyched on holiday to run fast too.

That downhill half will be fun. Athletics nz should really follow world eligible guidelines for courses and apply to their ranking system.

Slight soreness in my left calf today. Hopefully nothing.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - my 2nd name is efficiency LOL You got greedy with 7x1200, but good on you for completing such a difficult workout.
                          Steve - makes sense, that also happened to me when I was injured. But I didn't have a
                          coach to help me out, have I had one I suppose I could've avoided it.
                          Keen - Go out there and run a 5k time trial. Never let good shape go to waste.
                          Piwi - Eventually a lifetime of orgies and drinking will catch up to Usain and then I'll
                          be faster than him. That's my plan anyway 

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I forgot to mention:

Tomorrow I have 1200 + 600 + 4x300

1200 is prescribed to be 4 minutes.

It just so happens that there's a Strava segment of 1230 meters that I've been eyeing for a long time.

The course record stands for nearly 5 years now at 4:03. Nearly everybody on the top 10 are beasts.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6175967

And that's why I'll very likely will try to take it down tomorrow morning, even though my odds are not that good.

BOTT 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I agree with Flavio, you gotta get out there and do a time trial of sorts. I can't believe you can go that long without racing! I get way too antsy once I hit 2 months without racing. One thing we talk about on these boards a lot, and I especially noticed last night, was that you need to practice racing to race well. Very few people do well on their first race after not racing for a while. I will also say I "noticed" it last night because I completed a 1200 meter repeat workout and I was so exhuasted but I kept telling myself "this doesn't feel as bad as the end of the race this past weekend." I think without that knowledge of how bad racing feels, I may not have completed the workout.

Flavio - I did go for an extra rep (was scheduled for 6), but it's because I felt better than I thought. I had one of those weird workouts where you feel terrible after 3 reps and say you'll never get to 6, and then all of a sudden at 6 you say wait, I feel good enough for one more. Anyway, this is my last VO2 max workout for the summer. I have 10 days until my next race, should be good enough rest between to absorb the benefits.

Good luck on getting your segment. 4:03 is quick for 1230 meters but given all the speed work, this is your destiny 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

You guys are putting some pressure on me regarding doing a time trial! I might try that next week depending on the conditions - because there's no way I'm doing something like that with the weather we're currently having. Any input on whether I should try this on the track, or on the roads? There is a ~5k course through town (how it's run is slightly longer than what it should be based on the now-expired course certification). Getting out as early as I usually do I could run it backwards (allowing me to run on the correct side of the road) without much traffic risk.

JMac - You went for an "extra" VO2Max rep??? That's crazy talk! I can't recall the last time I felt good enough to add on a rep.

Flavio - Good luck on taking down that crown! It looks like the guy who now owns the segment doesn't run any longer, so if you get it it'll likely be yours for a long time! I may or may not be keeping a browser tab open just for that segment leaderboard...

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4